Signum rambles - The epilogue - Alby Back
Well it has gone. Sold it last month through sure-sell. Easy process, dropped it off at the auction site and they took care of everything. Cheque arrived the following week. Painless really and a fair price was achieved.

Never an easy decision, it had been bought last July as heir apparent to the trusty old Mondeo estate. In the end I never could bring myself to sell the old one. In the ten months the Signum covered 25k miles and the Mondeo did approx 15k. The Vauxhall was a 2.2 petrol Design model and was in very good order when I bought it.

Sportier ( if that is a word ) than the diesel Mondeo with noticleably harder suspension. Strangely though the Ford always felt more planted somehow. Loadspace was very good in the VX but not surprisingly compromised by comparison to a true estate. Not very fair to criticise it for that though. Seats were half leather bucket jobs which while they were reasonably comfortable I could never get out of it at the end of a long run without being a bit stiff. Conversely the full leather ones in the Mondeo keep me comfortable on all occasions no matter how long I have to sit in them.

The Vauxhall was much quieter both in terms of engine and wind noise and had a lovely swell of torque which made it surprisingly diesel like to drive in the best sense. Never a keen revver though with a funny flat spot about 4.5k revs. Fuel consumption was good at around 37 mpg with my mainly long haul, fully laden usage and as mentioned elsewhere, when the fuel price differential was 10p a litre it worked out at the same pence per mile fuel cost as the Mondeo.

It was in fact a good tool. Just outgunned by my old one in so many ways. Family pressure to keep the Mondy coupled with a number of niggly problems with the Signum forced the decision in the end. In its short time with us it had two boot locks, various bits of trim fell off, early signs of rust on the door bottoms and wheel arches and finally a suspected fuel pump problem ( which may have been the root cause of the flat spot ) signed its ticket to ride. Various rattles and squeaks had started in the cabin which led me to think that it maybe wasn't quite as well put together as the Ford which despite having more than three times the mileage on it remains like new.

Aesthetically, it maybe looked better, certainly the rear and side views. Always, perhaps childishly liked the big fat twin chrome exhausts. Must be my latent inner boy racer.

Headlamps were rubbish. Dipped beam spread was very poor and they were properly adjusted. Apparently this is a known thing on Vectra Cs and their derivatives.

I grew to like the auto wipers but never came to terms with the daft indicators.

Would I recommend one to others ? Yes I would, it was basically fine but it was just never quite right for me.

I dropped a couple of grand on it in the end but given that I got 25k miles for that I'm not complaining.

Will keep the old faithful Mondeo for now but, well, you know how it is........

Edited by Pugugly on 09/06/2009 at 22:07

Signum rambles - The epilogue - Avant
I thought that would be the outcome, Humph! Odds-on it'll be another Mondeo estate if Betsy should ever bite the dust (not yet, by the sound of it).

Good luck!
Thanks Avant. Quite like the look of those ST155 estates......Maybe an X-type.....Oh I dunno......

;-)
Signum rambles - The epilogue - Happy Blue!
Humph - fancy a nice Outback? I could be persuaded to relinquish ownership for a reasonable sum!! You might get 28mpg out of it for your type of driving......
Nice idea Espada. Quite like the car but don't fancy the mpg for my mileage. Not too clever in the snow either as I recall. Bit of a sledge I'm told........May just be a rumour but I heard of a bloke in Manchester......

;-)

( only kidding ! )
I blame the tyres..........[shuffles off round the corner mumbling]
OK the brief for the next Backbridgemobile. I think I know the answer but more than interested to take suggestions.

Criteria as follows.

Budget up to £10k, could do more but choose not to.
40k + miles a year self funded so 40 mpg + please
Loadspace very important 1700 cubic thingies really as small as I can live with.
Must be ultra-reliable and comfortable for averagely 200 miles a day, often much more.
At least mildly entertaining to drive
Cheap to insure, service and maintain with easily/quickly obtainable parts
No vans, need a car too.
Capable of being run to huge mileage before disposal
Prefer not to have a cam belt ( bad experiences X 2 )
Manual or auto don't mind

Over to you......
Signum rambles - The epilogue - Pugugly
A nice Jaguar X type estate 2.2d springs to mind !
Signum rambles - The epilogue - gmac
Blimey ! Don't want much do you ?
Loadspace very important 1700 cubic thingies really as small as I can live with.
At least mildly entertaining to drive

Not many car based estates will give you 1700 litres Audi A6, Volvo V70 and BMW 5 series too small, only ones that offer this off the top of my head are Ford Mondeo, Mercedes E class and Vauxhall Vectra estate.
Otherwise you are into MPV territory...did someone mention Espace :)
Signum rambles - The epilogue - Alanovich
What's the load capacity of an Alfa 159 Sportwagon?

You know you want one.

:-)
1235 litres
Just to add to the list, latest shape Mazda 6 estate is slightly bigger than the Mondeo in loadspace but (probably) blows the £10k budget :(

Edited by gmac on 10/06/2009 at 12:10

Signum rambles - The epilogue - DP
If you can compromise a little on loadspace, a V70 D5 has to be worth a try. You will never drive a more comfortable car.
Signum rambles - The epilogue - b308
A Roomster fits the bill (other than the cambelt) as well... and its not van-based before anyone says anything...

But I doubt you'll like the reduction in size.... so its probably a none-starter

Edited by b308 on 10/06/2009 at 13:31

Signum rambles - The epilogue - Westpig
X Type estate only has 1415 litres of load space, although it's good for its' class. You'd easily get a 2.0D Estate with good spec, 3 years old, maybe newer. It's a good looking car and handles well.

(...and a £325 re-map will give it the performance of the 2.2, with better fuel consumption)
Yeah I could compromise on space a bit, after all I managed with the Signum for most purposes but it was tight sometimes. A V70 would probably/certainly be fine. Would have to overcome my phobia of cam belts though ! I had a couple of 850s back along and a 940 and liked them. The 940 was a bit of a brick but it was very useful. The 850s were very good to drive. I could also compromise on price but I promised myself I would be sensible some years ago. I used to buy quite expensive things which of course lost a packet in depreciation with my mileage. I now feel that if I spend less than £10K and get 3 or 4 years or 120 - 160k miles for that I'm doing OK even if I only get peanuts for it at the end.

(As for the Espace suggestion......Nurse !!!!!!!???? My pills, quick.....)
Only problem with the V70 is it holds its value so well. £10k gets you a five to six year old car with sensible mileage unless you go the auction route.
I suppose that's why I seem to end up with Mondeos in the end and may well do so again.

I guess the smaller loadbay in the X-type is a result of a higher boot floor to allow for the 4x4 gubbins on the more powerful models? I had hoped that being a close cousin of the Mondeo it might be bigger than that. Probably the thing to do is to go and look at some options with all my kit with me and if I like the car/s then ask to try my luggage in them.

The Roomster or its competitors are an option I suppose. Long distance comfort might be a problem? Not sure.

Maybe I just have to accept that I am Mondeo man !

Thanks everyone, as always, plenty of food for thought.
Ot two Alfa 159's, a red one for left shoes and green for right.
Just remember to park them the right way round when parking for ease of unloading :)
Well, I guess to take that to its logical conclusion, there is the option of a van and a Brera.......

" Hi darling, good day at work ?.....Y'know that Backroom site I very occasionally have a quick look at ? Well, I've had some super advice......I buy a van and......"

;-)
Roomie is surprisingly good on long runs (the 1.9PD engine) - Plenty of room in he back for passengers when required as well. The general "roughness" of the engine was a let down though.
Twas made a little tongue in cheek... though I've travelled all over Europe with the 1.9 PD and found it an excellent cruiser... Its gruff rather than rough, though PU, I quite like its sound tbh!
Sorry to offend I was comparing it to the BMW six cylinder diesels I owned before I got the Roomie. I liked the car - a lot.
Signum rambles - The epilogue - rtj70
So just to confirm, the 1.9 pumpe-düse unit from VW is a little rougher than the BMW 3.0 twin turbo diesel :-)

Although some on here say the TDCi unit in the Mondeo Mk III is refined mine always sounded like a tractor at idle. The Mazda diesel with it's excellent DPF (cough) is a lot more refined. Seriously it is a more refined engine.

Edited by rtj70 on 10/06/2009 at 17:56

Signum rambles - The epilogue - ifithelps
..Quite like the look of those ST155 estates..

A Mondeo with extra poke.

Could you achieve something similar by tuning Betsy?
Could you achieve something similar by tuning Betsy?

Maybe - but I'm superstitious about that. It ain't broke so I'm not for fixing it. As I have often droned on about on here it has been quite the most trouble free car I've ever had. Before very long it will be getting on for 200k miles and has genuinely only had two dipped beam bulbs outside of servicing, brakes and tyres. Of course I realise that it will one day just disintegrate but I'm not about to interfere with it now.

;-)
So just to confirm the 1.9 pumpe-düse unit from VW is a little rougher than
the BMW 3.0 twin turbo diesel :-)

No, gruffer.... ;-)

No offence taken, PU, it was a little bit of a tongue in cheek suggestion in the first place... though it has the space, there are not may people who would countenence downsizing from a large family car to a supermini... though thats what we did when we went from a Vectra to the Fabia... too many people "think" they need the space...

Edited by b308 on 10/06/2009 at 18:34

Surprisingly, ultimately the Roomie has more usuable space than the CRV when the seats are out.
Humph,

In case the X type is still a maybe (i'm sure you mentioned it before), i'll briefly give you some feedback from 4 years ownership of one (2.0D SE estate)

pros.....
-looks the part,
-handles exceptionally well,
-'nice' to drive
-more 'get up and go' than you'd imagine a 2 litre diesel would provide
-fairly refined, when on the move
-well screwed together
-quality interior (leather and wood as only the Brits seem to do well)
-no aches and pains after v long journeys (e.g. 11 hours in one hit, just a fuel stop)
-v good CD stereo
-plenty on knick knack room, inc boot area e.g. both side compartments and underfloor
-light coloured leather lasted very well. Not been properly cleaned yet
-they normally come fairly well equipped compared to the opposition

middle....
-economy, 45mpg ought to be easy on long run, other cars apparently do better?

-cons...
-on tick over, sounds a bit noisy
-rear window latch has been replaced twice (although not expensive)
-ride is averagely firm, i'd prefer a bit softer. 17" wheels or bigger = low profiles only
-centre console on non satnav cars = a bit plain and out of place compared to the rest
-dipped lights poor, really needs the Xenon's option
-front tyre wear could be better, don't know if that is fault of Pirelli P Zero
-had to change a h/lamp bulb, virtually no room to get your hand in
-depreciation could be better
-50-70 dash could be quicker (completely sorted with re-map, plus better mpg)

overall.... would I have another?.....most definitely, we really like it..and it's British built.
Thanks WP - I'll definitely have a proper look at one.
Signum rambles - The epilogue - MGspannerman
I had a very close look and a test drive of an X type estate. Very nicely finished and the 2.2D i drove went very nicely. The big stumbling block for me was that when comfortable in the drivers seat the rear legroom disappeared, although to be fair I am 6'4" tall. I also felt that whilst headroom was fine with the seat at the lowest setting, I did find that the roofline came fairly low at the top of the windscreen which I suspect after a while might have caused a crick in the neck from time to time. A great shame as I wanted to like it but did feel that it just needed to be a little bigger all round. Otherwise it ticked all my boxes - fwd, diesel, estate, good driver feedback etc. So if you are a biggish chap you might find it a little snug.

MGs
Thanks MGS - Fortunately, in terms of fitting cars anyway, I'm a fairly anonymous size. 6'0" and average build. Well, the Wii says I'm a bit too fat but what does it know ? Stupid thing !........
Signum rambles - The epilogue - gordonbennet
Avensis 2.2 T180.

Don't know the volume, but looks as big as any.

Edit...made in England.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/06/2009 at 23:03

GB,

He wants us to say "Buy the Jag Humph" :-)
Signum rambles - The epilogue - gordonbennet
He wants us to say "Buy the Jag Humph" :-)

And does he need a new best mate at the Jaguar service desk.

Time for a sharp exit..;)
Shouldn't that be a wee fat then ?
You are very lucky you are anonymously at the other end of a 'tinterweb PU !

Wee fat indeed !!

Oh and GB, he might have the second sight on the other thing though. Sort of leaning Jagish at the mo. This will of course change several times before any decision is made in time honoured fashion.

;-)

But I don't think the X-Type is big enough is it?

I wonder if Nintendo protected the name Wii Fat :-)
We'll be interested to hear what you think of the X-type when you try one. Maybe it depends on whether image is important to you and your clients: the diesel X-type is pure Mondeo underneath, and looking at it soullessly it's more cost for less space.

When I test-drove one - admittedly in 2004 - it had a very fierce clutch and I couldn't get comfortable. Also beware of all that glitters: if you looked carefully the less obviously visible trim was of much poorer quality than the bits you could see immediately, and the boot carpet would have disgraced a Ford Ka.

In fairness, X-types have probably improved since then. But if just under 1500 litres of space is enough, then add the Octavia to your shortlist (1620 litres), but make sure you can live with lifting your kit over the 'lip' at the back (and of course the cambelt, but can all those 200k-mile taxi-drivers be wrong?).

Unless you're desperate for a change, maybe another Mondeo beckons!
the diesel X-type is pure Mondeo underneath

Not really accurate...there's about 18% shared parts...and many bits that are shared are done differently. Furthermore the Mondeo is a very capable car anyway, so the shared bits are a positive.

Thanks for the correction Westpig: I was thinking mainly of engine and gearbox - and it was meant as a positive. The Mondeo is bigger than I need but a great car: my question is whether the X-type is worth having compared with a Mondeo.
Just want to thank everyone again for all the useful feedback here.

I think in reality, when I add up, cross reference, do a bit of agonising etc etc I probably come back to running my current Mondeo to destruction and then replacing it with another one.

It's just that having had a lot of them I rather fancied a change. The X-type might give me that but as has been pointed out it may be too small and there is an amount of badge premium to be paid for. The Octavia Vrs looks nice and I know you like your's Avant.

Ultimately, I have to remind myself that my cars are not toys or indulgence purchases but essential workhorses to enable me to earn a living and the way things are at the moment it would be foolhardy to be letting the heart win over the head.

That is not to say that I won't do that anyway of course......

;-)
The beauty of your high mileage Humph is that you have a good justification for changing car and enjoying the thrill of the 'chase'... I wish I had some justification for even considering to look for an alternative, but having only done 22,000 miles in 2.5 years, I have several years before I am even allowed to consider a change, let along look at a specific car.
....Unless you are allotted a 6-seater chosen by Espadrille!

SWMBO test-drove cars with me when I ended up with the Golf, but she's so happy with her Mini Cooper that she didn't really mind this time as she hardly ever drives mine (she likes the Z3 though!). She had a Daily-Mail-type prejudice against Skodas but admits this one is good to drive.

In contrast to the person on another current thread bemoaning the lack of choice now compared with 40 years ago, actually there are plenty of cars which fulfil a purpose yet are good to drive - Mondeo and Octavia being two of them. Outback too perhaps?

I absolutely agree - the 'thrill of the chase' is fun, whether you're buying new or used. I've had 15 cars in the last 40 years (oops, the Z3 makes 16), and SWMBO 12 in the last 35 - I have to confess that not all the changes have been strictly necessary, but - hey, you only live once.
If I ignore temporary allocation of vehicles including hire cars, then the two I owned and the company ones come to: 9 in 14 years (not quite 14). And I had two cars for 4 years each! Add in the semi-permanent ones like the cars when the Golf was stolen and the Passat being fixed and that jumps to: 13 in 14 years! And that does not include use of any hire cars. Still have the Mazda6 (2 years this October).

No wonder the neighbours thought I was a car dealer or something when I met my wife.