99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - jp147
I own a 1999 Ford Focus (petrol engine) which has covered 80k miles. I feel that I need advice on how to tell if the noise I think I can hear coming from somewhere from the car is due to a coolant pump, alternator or power steering pump problem e.g. worn bearings. What sort of noise would this make ?

What about worn big-end or main bearings what sort of noise should I look out for ?

The car has a full service history with most of the services being done at Ford dealers. Would big-end or main bearings be going wrong on a car of my age and mileage ?

Thanks.
99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - bathtub tom
MUCH more info required.

At tickover or when revved?
Clutch pedal pressed?
In gear?
Moving or stationary?
Does sound rise and fall with engine speed or road speed?
etc.
etc.
etc.
99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - MikeTorque
Are you able to locate the area the noise is coming from ? This will help to narrow things down a bit.
99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - Lud
You have to describe the noise, not just say you think you may be able to hear a noise somewhere.

What do you want, a detailed list of all the possible noises you might hear with a selection of possible causes beside each noise?

Show a bit of sense for heaven's sake.
99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - henry k
Air conditioner compressor can make a similar noise.
99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - Statia
I thought my water pump was knackered as it was making a noise, but as my focus had done ~75k, I decided it was time for cam belt and pulley swap out. When I got the car back the noise had gone, so I can only think it was the pulley bearing which was borked and made the noise. Glad I had it done!

On another note, I hear a noise now when I have my foot all the way down on the clutch pedal. If I lift pedal an inch or so, the noise goes away? Clutch bearing shot? The noise had only appeared since I bled the brakes and clutch fluid.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2009 at 13:51

99 1.8 What could be causing this noise ? - Statia
That was supposed to read:

"I thought my water pump was knackered as it was making a noise" ....

{Amended for you. There is an edit button that works for up to 5 mins after posting, or until someone replies to your post - whichever comes sooner. DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2009 at 13:51