MK3 V6 and 5-Tronic Autobox - cepi
Hi all,

Been looking to purchase a MK3 Mondeo in Germany. I don't want a diesel, so the petrol i'm most inclined to get is 3.0 V6, the 204PS version, not the ST220)

Now a lot of these V6 are available with 5-Tronic Durashift auto box, but i can only find a couple of reviews with this gearbox. HJ review of TDCI with this gearbox is thin.

Does anyone have any experience with this gearbox or how does it drive?
Is this 3.0 engine reliable? I'm guessing it should be less stressed then ST220.

Thank you all,

Cepi.

Edited by cepi on 09/06/2009 at 16:48

MK3 V6 and 5-Tronic Autobox - Xtype
Have driven the 2.0tdci auto on an 05 reg mondeo. Great gearbox and pretty smooth. Engine was a bit noisy but the tdci was never the most quiet of engines.
MK3 V6 and 5-Tronic Autobox - Martin Devon
Is there really a V6 3.0 Mondy Auto?? Only for foreign markets perhaps??

Regards......MD
MK3 V6 and 5-Tronic Autobox - ole cruiser
I too doubt if there were/are 3.0 V6's with the 5-speed auto box. But the 2.5 V6 engine was kept alive for this purpose, and that's what I've got. I think the rationale is probably either that 3 litres takes the engine over the torque threshold for the box or conversely that the extra power of the 3 litre only comes in at the top end, which most auto owners will rarely use.
It is a nice box - as smooth as any auto I've had, and I like the dual centre stick/steering wheel button override. It has its own separate cooler, which I find reassuring. My only minor gripe is that 5th gear is rather high, the engine is more fun with the revs a bit higher; but it does make the car reasonably economical for what it is.
sq

Yes you are right, my mistake. 2.5 V6 is avalilable as Auto, not the 3.0 which is 6 speed manual.

Thanks for replies.

Cepi.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/06/2009 at 11:55

MK3 V6 and 5-Tronic Autobox - gmac
Don't know if it makes any difference to you or not but these 2.5 V6's are rated at 170PS/125KW not >200PS as you originally intended buying.
Don't know if it makes any difference to you or not but these 2.5 V6's
are rated at 170PS/125KW not >200PS as you originally intended buying.

Yes thanks. I've driven a manual 2.5 and performance wasn't that much better then a normal 2.0 Duratec. I guess i might go for the 3.0 Manual after i drive it.

Thankf for your replies.

Cepi.