Anyone ever been caught out on insurance - diddy1234
I was wondering if anyone has been caught out like myself two years ago :-

insurance was due for renewal (one week left to run)
not to impressed with the renewal figure so I phone them asking for a better price.
They wouldn't do a better price so I said that I would not renew and let it run out.

I then got new insurance from another provider to start when the previous insurance run out.

unknown to me the original insurance had been cancelled and a cheque sent out (only about £10 for the last week), with a letter saying sorry to hear you go.

I received this letter two weeks later (after the initial renewal phone call) courtesy of second class stamp.

So I had in effect driven around for one week with no insurance.
In the eyes of the law I would have been guilty yet I would not have known anything.
Car would have been impounded if pulled over (thank heavens I had not).

insurance companies make me angry even to this day (and this was two years ago).

So has anyone ever been caught out like this ?

Edited by Pugugly on 09/06/2009 at 13:31

anyone ever been caught out on insurance - rtj70
Surprised that any refund possible for the last week, what with front-loaded insurance policies.
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - grumpyscot
And because you theoretically didn't complete the year, your NCD wouldn't improve.
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Graham567
I got a renewal quote from my insurance company but it was alot higher than i expected.I went onto the comparison websites and renewed my insurance approx £40 cheaper than the other company.All sorted,or so i thought.
Next thing i know,i get a cover note from my old insurance company,thanking me for my renewed custom.I rang them up and found out that they had already debited my account for the premium.I told them that i had already taken it out with someone else and so could they cancel the policy and give me my money back.They said they would.When i checked my bank statement they had refunded my money minus £40.I rang them up and they said the £40 was an admin charge.Evidently,in the small print of their policy,it said that if i didn't cancel the policy before it ended then they would assume that i wished to take out the next year aswell.In all my years of driving i have always had it that if you didn't renew the policy then i wouldn't pay anything.
The moral of this tale is to ring your insurance company up a week before your policy expires to let them know that you won't be renewing with them.
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Rumfitt
Same thing happened to me - in all the years of insuring cars I've never been charged for actively not renewing with a company - until this time...

I read the small print and it was indeed a condition to let them know regardless.

Be warned, these insurers use a particularly aggressive debt recovery firm, who will harangue you at all hours of the day and night.

anyone ever been caught out on insurance - steveo3002
yeah we sort had a similar thing

took out new insurance and after some time they supposedly sent a letter requesting proof of no claims which we never got , so as they had no response they cancelled the insurance and wrote to us

so while the letter was on its way we were unknowingly driving with no insurance
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Farmer Boy
I rang them up and found out that they had already
debited my account for the premium.

This is against the Direct Debit gaurantee scheme. Your bank should refund the money.
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - daveyjp
It may not be if they informed you of now much they would be taking and when this transaction would happen.

I now always read the renewal carefully as auto renewals have crept in. Last time I had an auto renewal was with Frizzell (now LV=) which I was happy with I noticed the card details were wrong so I had to call them anyway.

I am pleased to report LV= do not do auto renewal any longer.
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Bill Payer
I am pleased to report LV= do not do auto renewal any longer.

I didn't know that, and think it's a shame if correct. Both mine and Mrs BP's cars are with LV= and every renewal I ring then and ask them not to auto-renew. They ask why, and I tell them they're too dear. I make up a number and they usually meet me a bit more than halfway. The amount we actually pay has dropped quite dramatically over the last few years.
So I had in effect driven around for one week with no insurance.

I would think (hope) that if push came to shove then they'd have to admit they made an error and cover you.

It's also arguable that they can't escape their liability if you're holding the insurance certificate - that's what it's an offence not to return it on demand.
anyone ever been caught out on insurance - martint123
I would think (hope) that if push came to shove then they'd have to admit they made an error and cover you.

You have to be very careful what you say when cancelling auto-renewal.

"I don't want to renew my insurance with you - thank you"
vs
"I want to cancel"

You have to be very careful what you say when cancelling auto-renewal.

I could imagine difficulties unless there was a large claim involving personal injury. Then, no stone would be left unturned, and there would surely be questions about why somebody would cancel a policy with a week to go.

I think it's a bit od a red herring anyway - the way most insurance comapanies refund on a weighted basis means there wouldn't be any refund from some way back from the end of the policy. Many also make an admin charge too, and there have been issues reported in consumer articles with some companies where the admin charge is greater than the refund even quite early on in the policy's life.

Edited by Bill Payer on 09/06/2009 at 13:19

anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Pugugly
It should have been clearly explained to you at the very least. We used to do brokering as a side line - it was pretty profitable but a hell of a lot of work which could envelope staff. In cancelling insurances we'd always ask for the current certificate back. I was surprised that the company that insured the wife's Golf asked for the certificate before I cancelled it last week. They duly acknowledged it by letter. All very proper.
LV= have a funny thing, and this has happened a few times as we have 2 cars insured with them, if you call and discuss the policy then a new Insurance will turn up a few days later, with a letter asking for the old one back.

Apparently if they go into your details and change anything, even if they change it back, a new Certificate is automatically produced.

The main thing I don't like about this is that the new cert is dated that day - seems it's standard practice that they can't be backdated.
Anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Mick Snutz
Most insurance companies record their calls for 'security and training purposes'.

Perhaps as consumers we should consider doing the same thing so at least you'd have a record of the actual terminology used during the call. i.e. " I wish to cancel my policy" which suggests you want no more cover from today as opposed to "I will not be renewing my cover" which suggests you wish to remain insured for the duration of the certificate but won't be renewing.

Was it a foreign call centre by any chance?
Anyone ever been caught out on insurance - diddy1234
iqn869, no it wasn't a call centre in another country but a small shop where about 4 people work.
No conversation is recorded as I get the impression they do everything on the cheap.

Needless to say I won't be going back to them ever again.

And yes regarding the previous posts, There is a big difference between 'I do not want to renew' and 'I wish to cancel' statements.

Maybe some insurance clerks can't tell the difference.
Anyone ever been caught out on insurance - BobbyG
I had the opposite - didn't realise one policy auto renewed and I renewed elsewhere. It was only when I got two renewals in the following year I realised!

Contacted both companies and after some toing and froing , both refunded me half their premiums each!
Anyone ever been caught out on insurance - Mookfish
It was only when I got two renewals in the following year I realised!

If only my insurance was cheap enought that I could pay for two policies without noticing!