00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - sb01
Hello
My Xantia 2.0 HDI has developed a "hard" ride - on checking, the suspension fluid level is very high - the top of the glass (with the suspension set on high). May have been overfilled when I had a sphere (self-levelling, at rear) replaced recently.
Is the best solution to open the suspension fuid cover and remove a few ml of fluid at a time, using a syringe, with teh ingition off and the suspension in "normal"?
Thanks in advance for the solution!!
00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - mjm
Overfilling the fluid reservoir will not give you a hard ride. This will be related to the spheres. Is it the front or rear which is hard?

Sometimes the level indicator in the fluid reservoir sticks and gives a false high reading. Worst case is that some fluid spills out on cornering. It's not "normal" brake fluid and won't remove the paint, it just makes a mess.
00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - Peter.N.
I would agree. If the ride height is normal you have failure of at least one sphere. Try bouncing each corner, you will find that there is no movement on the one that has failed.
Thanks for teh responses - I have carried out the bounce test and it appears the front two spheres need replacing. Is this a DIY job, and is there a "how to" thread explaining the process anywhere?
The front ones are the easiest. You will need a chain wrench, an ordinary oil filter type might do if the spheres are not to tight but I generally use a much heftier one. There is a tool available on ebay for not to much money.

Put the suspension lever to its lowest setting and wait for a few minutes, that will release the pressure, put your wrench around the centre of the sphere and unscrew anti clockwise (normal thread). Once you have loosened it you can unscrew by hand. When fitting the replacement only do it up hand tight, make sure the seal is in position.

Spheres can be obtained from GSF for about £22.00 each.

Edited by Peter.N. on 07/06/2009 at 16:18

Thanks, Peter - that sounds rather too easy! No bleeding of the system or anything like that?
00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - Bromptonaut
High fluid indication may be a jammed float - does the "mushroom" move at alll?
No, the system will self bleed when you start the engine - assuming you have remembered to set the height lever back to normal!

The rear spheres are more difficult because access is not so good and they tend to corrode being underneath, but once you have 'cracked' them they will unscrew easily. If you have hydractive suspension, the centre spheres are the most difficult because you can't depressurise them so they are tight all the way, or until the LHM starts running down your arm, unfortunatly these are the ones most responsible for a soft ride.
00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - RichardW
Further to Peter's note about sphere chaning, on a later Xantia, you need to put the car in low with the engine running, and leave it idling for a couple of minutes to depressure the suspension. Note that if the spheres are totally knackered (internal diaphragm split), you may get a shower of pressurised LHM when you removed them - the nitrogen left blows the LHM out. make sure you remove the old seal, then fit a new one, lubed with LHM, to the sphere MOUNT - if you fit it to the sphere you will nick it and it will leak.
00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - mjm
>>Note that if the spheres are totally knackered (internal diaphragm split), you may get a shower of pressurised LHM when you removed them<<

When you have "cracked" the sphere, putting a plastic bag over it and sealing it as much as possible can help avoid getting an LHM shampoo and set!
00 2.0 Suspension Fluid Level HIGH - dieselnut
I would only add that when I have changed sphers on my CX & XM of old, I was advised to put suspension to high & then just 'crack' the spher to just get it moving.
That way, the suspension cylinder is held tight so doesn't twist at all while turning the sphere.
The connected hydraulic pipes then don't get stressed or break.
Once 'cracked' set suspension to lowest as mentioned previously.
Yes that was the case with the CX but the XMs seem to stay put OK, I have four of them and have changed many spheres over the years.

Edited by Peter.N. on 09/06/2009 at 12:30