97 1.9 TD Ignition / Tickover Problem - eddy306td
I recently bought my 97 P reg 306 d t about 4 months ago for £400 and it has now covererd 130,000 miles.

There are 2 things that worry me about it.

1. When I first bought it it ran fine but a month down the line it developed a starting problem and it became increasing hard to start as i found i was waiting for the glow plug light to go off, then turning the key and sometimes tapping the acceerator pedal to get it going. When it fired up loads of white smoke bit of a cough and splutter and away we was starting fine everytime for the rest of the day.
Spoke to a few people and they said the glow plugs may need changeing from what i had said. (I still havn't changed them as of yet as the weather is pretty damn warm. I do have a set handy though.)

2. More recently it has become increasingly harder to start and when it finally does same description as above. Now, When the engine gets to about 80 - 85 degrees and I am stationary the car begins to struggle and loose power and in the last few days has began cutting out completely when stationary. The problem only occurs when the engine is warmed up. It is becoming a serious problem for me as i am finding myself left foot braking as I come up to a junction slipping it into neutral coasting untill I get down to a speed i can slip it into 1st gear whack the clutch in pull the hand brake on and hold the rev's so the engine doesn't cut out on me and hold all the traffic up while I take ages to start the engine up.

Needless to say It's becoming quite an inconvenience to me now and any help, ANY hep would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Eddy

Edited by Pugugly on 04/06/2009 at 00:31

97 1.9 TD Ignition / Tickover Problem - Peter.N.
Sounds as though you may have air getting into your fuel system. The first thing to do is change the fuel filter, if it hasn't been done recently. It does also sound as though you need a set of glow plugs.
97 1.9 TD Ignition / Tickover Problem - rossinatrench
Hi

I had a similar problem to this. As Peter said it might be air getting into the fue system. There is a plastic pipe between the fuel filter housing and the pump, over time this can get brittle and fracture. Replace this and bleed the system, making sure the bleed nipple is tightened enough.

Also when was the last oil and filter change done?

Check the air filter to! Because these are at the bottom of the car they can sometimes corrode through and allow moisture in which could be an explanation for the amount of smoke...or the head gasket is on its way. To check this take the radiator cap off and start the engine, use the throttle control on the pump to give it a few revs and wait a couple of mins for the water to circulate. Look to see if any air bubbles are coming up in the rad, if so you may have a gasket problem.

Hope this helps!