Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - The Gingerous One
I hope someone can help me here...

I have a friend whose wife is ill and is eligible for the Motability allowance. So they signed up and got a prestige car on it. This required them to stump up some money up front as part of the deal (as I understand, it's not a Micra or anything).

Now, things are changing and the Motability benefit his wife is entitled to may end shortly.

My question is : what happens to the car & the money that's been paid in this case ?

They've only had the car 2 months. If they hand the car back without any of the original money being refunded then they've had a very expensive hire car.

Does anyone know what happens in this case ?

cheers

Stu
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - L'escargot
I've no doubt he/they signed a contract, in which case they need to read it.

Edited by L'escargot on 01/06/2009 at 15:51

Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>I hope someone can help me here...

Surely the Motability people themsleves can provide the definitive answer to this - much better than (..and no disrespect to any esteemed posters here..) 2nd hand opinions on a generalist motoring website forum?
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - Paul G1pdc
what I think happens is that the person in question gets disability living allowance and that cash benefit is then paid directly to the motorbility company...
my son (type 1 diabetic pancreas failed when he was 3) get this benifit at 1 of 3 levels.
An old work friend (wheel chair bound) also used to get this allowance which he then had a vectra, and later a 2nd hand audi a4, theres lots of ins and out with anything and the paperwork needs going through different amount of varous age cars.
Think as its been mentioned above a phone call is on the cards.
Paul.
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - L'escargot
Got a question? Ask Mo.

www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?type=CS
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - deepwith
I don't know what the time frame is when benefit ends, but if the person in receipt of the benefit dies then the car has to be returned at the end of the week, unless you can plead special circumstances.

If they cannot find chapter and verse in the website L'escargot gives, or paperwork supplied with the car, then the supplying garage also should be able to help.

In the case of one child I knew who died, unexpectedly, in the night, the benefit people turned up on the doorstep later that day to demand benefit books back! Presumably now it is no longer paid using a book, you get a little more grace. Very warm hearted!
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - b308
I think waht Stu is refering to is that they put in an "Advance Payment" at the beginning out of their own money to get themselves a better car - normally if you keep the car the full three years the car is returned to Motability and you don't get anything back (or you can choose to buy the car from them). We did this with ours, putting in £1500 to get a better model - as far as I know they will have to return the car in a "reasonable time" (they need to contact Motoablity) and they'll probably lose whatever money they put into it...

I am surprised that circumstances have changed so early in the contract, though. Normally Motability only allow the contract if the MA is going to be there for most of the three years.
Just checked my paperwork... they need to get their Handbook and turn to page 14, there is a section entitled "Ending your agreement early", they may well be entitled to a refund on the Advance Payment on a "pro rata basis" - tell 'em to get in touch with the number in the Handbook!!
Thanks very much, b308 This is really just in case I or another close friend ends up dealing with any of the aftermath. Thanks, I'll know where to look (or to tell anyone else where to look).

to tell anyone else where to look).

Let me know if you need the number.
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - Bill Payer
In the case of one child I knew who died unexpectedly in the night the
benefit people turned up on the doorstep later that day to demand benefit books back!

Struggling with that, to be honest - how would "the benefit people" even know of the child's untimely demise?
Bill Payer, He was a parent of two children, a six year old and a very disabled 4 year old - think David Camerons son, plus being on oxygen - his young wife walked out when the youngest was a year old because she could not cope.
If you have a disabled child, you are also allocated a Social Worker, whether you need one or not by normal standards. More so when one partner leaves.
As J. died during the night, between being turned, as normal at 2 and 4 am, then it becomes an unexplained death. Once you have called 999 for help, then all the other agencies get involved as with any other sudden death. On this occasion, that included benefits agencies, who obviously knew by mid-morning.
There was eventually an apology of sorts when J's doctor asked for an explanation (over enthusiastic junior staff, etc etc ) , but it really did not help that day.

Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - the swiss tony
That is truly awful - the last thing anyone needs at a time like that.

the question is, how do jobsworths like that sleep at night?

Edited by the swiss tony on 01/06/2009 at 19:38

Once you have called 999 for help then all the other agencies get involved as with any
other sudden death. On this occasion that included benefits agencies who obviously knew >> by mid-morning.

My wife used to work for the Benefits Agency and let's just say that she is bemused by how that connection could be made. Social Workers work for local government, Benefits Agency is Central Government. In her experience, they never went out and collected benefit books, people are asked to return them. The books can be stopped anyway, so there's no need to collect them. With any death, never mind a child, they always adopt a sympathetic approach.

I'm also involved in care of an elderly relative and it's absolutely astonishing how disconnected even the the various departments within the same organisation are. (As an aside, it's an interesting insight into the job creation for the sake of it culture).

"Over enthusiastic junior staff" is also a bit tough to reconcile with typical central government employees! My wife is in a different department now and she is one of the core band of capable, competent, staff - but it's just not the kind of work that people get enthusiastic about.
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - smokie
I really don't think we need to explore that scenario any more so back to original topic please.

smokie, Moderator
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - welshlad
the main concern here is that in applying to join the motabillity scheme you have to get a form signed and checked by the head office of the DLA / ICA dept this form also acts as check on your DLA status in that you are long term and unlikely to change over the period of the contract lease or the next 12 months at least

if your friend is coming off benifit after just 2 months of having the car this has obviously been an oversight on the original paperwork.
Yes, Welshlad, thats the bit I don't understand as well! Perhaps its that breakdancer they had on Britains got talent who was so bad he had to walk with a stick, except when cavorting all over the stage! No wonder people like MrX get annoyed when that sort of misuse of the system happens.
I don't know what happens if you have a kidney transplant, for instance, which would be an almost instant cure.
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - welshlad
not saying its gospel or it is still the same today but my late girlfriend was on regular assessment and short term benifits because she required a liver transplant and was on the list.

i think in certain circumstances for instance a transplant i think you do get some leeway with regards to a recovery period following something like that again im no expert but i think ive heard this is the case

Edited by welshlad on 02/06/2009 at 09:35

No, the case has gone from critically ill -> terminally ill in the timeframe.
No the case has gone from critically ill -> terminally ill in the timeframe.

You've presumeably by now seen the Ask Mo answer to that situation:

"In the situation that a customer passes away during the agreement, please contact Motability Operations to notify us of the bereavement. They will offer friends or family the opportunity to remain in the car until the funeral, if you are interested in purchasing the car or transfering the agreement into another name (providing they meet the eligibility criteria) after this period, please mention this in the initial phone call.

If there is no interest in purchase, then we will collect the car and end the agreement."

As for your original question, I guess Motability Operations would advise, but I wouldn't be hopeful of getting anything back, unless the input was very substantial. I think they generally sell the cars through auctions so, depending on the model, they probably lose a heck of a lot of their original value.

Motability presumeably acquires the cars at hefty discounts - it would be interesting to know if they use the discounted prices as the initial reference point, or list price.
Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - barneybear
Sorry to be slightly "off topic" at this late point, but I wondered if any BR's might be able to help?
My in-laws have had mobility allowance for 3 years following arthritis and knee replacement. However my own parents have failed to get MA approved despite actually being less able abodied than my in-laws. (SWMBO agress with me on this one)
Where can they go for help in getting MA approved? Their own GP was very helpful, but it would appear that some form of Govt appointed assessor makes the decision.

My mum has sever osteoporsis (suffered broken lower legs and has had a knee replaced) and my dad is now almost blind following catarcts operations that didn't quiet go according to plan (nothing went wrong with the op as such, but at 70 and following years working in the metal industry they are pretty shot at).
Is there some form of appeals procedure?

Motability - what happens if benefit ends ? - kithmo
IIRC you can't claim Disability Living Allowance if you are over pensionable age.
Try the YouGov site for advice on an appeal...

Edited by b308 on 02/06/2009 at 17:59