Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - L'escargot
Why do some people buy new cars from a dealer's stock instead of ordering one to come directly from the manufacturer? By placing an order you can have exactly the specification and factory fitted options you want, and know that the car hasn't been pawed over by numerous potential purchasers. When I look at new cars in a showroom I always test out the various switches and controls etc for function and robustness and I assume that everybody else does the same. As far as I'm concerned that's what showroom models are for ~ they're there to be handled. I'd never risk buying a car that was standing in a showroom.
Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - NARU
To many people a car is just a white good, to serve a purpose.

I can think of lots of reasons why people could be perfectly happy with the showroom model!

#1 - You NEED a car that day/week
#2 - You got a good deal on the price
Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - jc2
Very little dealer stock is on the showroom floor;most will be tucked away in compounds.
Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - Armitage Shanks {p}
If a dealer has got exactly what I want, in stock, why would I want to wait for a factory order for the same thing? Factories might go onto short time working; there is a waiting list for some cars and for those for which demand is low production may be slowed or stopped. I can't really think that few punters working the switches is going to put more wear and tear on them than I would in the first week of ownership. As Marlot says, you might get a 'deal' to take the car off the forecourt.
Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - bonzodog
Whilst I agree with the OP's sntiments, unless you specify a car to be a factory build the car could come from a compound (where it has ben subject to all sorts of incidents) or from another dealer where it has been subject to the same treatment as you are trying to avoid. It may have been subject to 2 or 3 dealer swaps & loaded on & off a transporter a number of times.

Basically you don't know what you are getting.

But the comparison with white goods is an interesting one - would you take a washing machine that had been used as a store display model, unless it was heavily discounted a a result?
Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - BobbyG
I think bonzo you sum it up - you don't know what you are getting. That applies to new order or order from stock. Thats why its important to check the car over before you take the keys (and if possible, to check it over as soon as the dealer receives it).

A brand new built to order car will still have had multiple handling from the factory to the dealer, don't kid yourself that it is wrapped in bubble wrap on the production line and one driver brings it all the way to you!

I have always bought from dealer stock, always find preferential prices as they have usually been ordered to satisfy a bonus criteria that they can then pass on.
Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - ifithelps
When I bought the CC3 in March, the heavily discounted 'cash and carry' price applied to stock vehicles only.

The only option I really wanted was rear park assist, which the dealer has done a decent job of fitting.

A factory order would have been an extra £2/3K and since Focus CCs are the slowest sellers in the range I might still be waiting.

Buying new cars from a dealer's stock - L'escargot
I can't really think that few
punters working the switches is going to put more wear and tear on them than
I would in the first week of ownership.

I don't just work the switches. I pull the door handles, adjust the mirrors, check what happens when I nudge the exterior mirrors, move the seats in all directions that are possible, open and slam shut the boot lid and bonnet, and kick the tyres etc etc. In a word, I test everything for robustness by loading up things to a far higher level than you are likely to do in your first week of ownership. It's the same when I chose spectacle frames ~ I give them a good twisting and pulling. By the time I've finished, showroom items of anything I look at are shop-soiled and I certainly wouldn't want to buy any of those particular samples!
Buying new cars from a dealer's showroom - L'escargot

Edited by L'escargot on 01/06/2009 at 10:12

Buying new cars from a dealer's showroom - L'escargot
Taking into account jc2's reply, please read "showroom" instead of "stock" in my original post. Apologies for not using the correct word.
Buying new cars from a dealer's showroom - mike hannon
Over the years I have tried on several occasions to buy a new car - most recently about 18 months ago - in both the UK and France.
On each occasion I wanted to order a car to my specification but every time the salesperson was only interested in selling me the version that happened to be in stock, no matter that it did not meet my requirements and was - usually - a horrible colour.
Every time I eventually became irritated and walked away. I guess this is why I dislike new car dealers and haven't bought a factory-fresh motor for 27 years.