Trafic - 92 2.1 Do I need the cambelt changing ? - virago_viking
Should I change the cambelt ?

I have a vehicle which had the cambelt changed six years ago and has since done 30,000 miles. The service book says change every 70,000 - but does not mention annual intervals.

It is a Renault Trafic 2.1 diesel camper van. I am planning on taking it to Spain this year so this may be another deciding factor.

Is there such thing as "shelf life" on a cambelt ? I have heard that every 5 years is the norm but bearing in mind it has done so little mileage - is it worth it ?

{Correct year edited in following a forum search}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/05/2009 at 18:16

19 2.1 Do I need the cambelt changing ? - andyp
I seem to remember that Renault say to replace it at 5 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.
19 2.1 Do I need the cambelt changing ? - jc2
If you're worrying about it,get it changed;one less thing to worry about!!!
Trafic - 92 2.1 Do I need the cambelt changing ? - jonat127
The way I see it a cam belt is made of rubber which does deteriorate wiith age. Tyres are recommended to be changed after 5-7 years even if they are not worn out so I would say the same logic can be applied to cam belts. To answer your last question "is it worth it" consider the implications of a failure! I would say a definate yes.
Jon
Trafic - 92 2.1 Do I need the cambelt changing ? - DP
I'd get it changed too. The last thing you want to be worrying about on your road trip is whether you should have or not. Have it done, and then you can relax! :-)