04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - mrmydak
Hi

Hopefully my first post will yield some decent results.

I drive an 04 Fusion 2 which has done just over 60k

Last week i was driving from nottingham to southampton and going down the A34 at about 70 when the engine seemed to die - no response on revving, no power etc. The display said EAC fail.

Pulled over, turned off the engine and then restarted the car. Came on and drove fine for a bit, until it went again.

This time i got the AA to come out and they looked at it, chucked the diagnostic computer in and it came up with code P2135 (i think)

The code pointed to the throttle position sensor failing.

GOt back to southampton ok, and the next day we started out going back.

It went 30 times between southampton and oxford.

Got the AA to tow from Oxford to nottingham

Being a bank holiday i then had a day when i couldn't do anything.

Got it to a garage, explained the fault and they replaced the tps/accelerator pedal.

£150

Got the car back and due to a wedding had to drive all the way back to southampton again.

Filled up and got back no problems.

Went to the wedding, and then today on the way home we got to about birmingham and it started doing it again.
20 times so far.

Not sure what to do next??

i'm assuming it can't be that switch, as surely replacing it should have fixed the problem??

so..

anyone got any ideas??

Edited by Pugugly on 30/05/2009 at 23:44

04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - elekie&a/c doctor
There are lots of known issues on this model for eac fail.Usually it is not the accelerator/tps that is at fault.Areas that need to be looked at are connections to the electronic throttle body and also those on the main engine control unit where the pins are not a tight enough fit onto the components.hth
04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - mrmydak
ah... thanks for the ideas.

Will get those other bits looked at and update

The engine check light has now gone out

Edited by mrmydak on 31/05/2009 at 12:03

04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - injection doc
A well known issue & may be a chat with BBA-reman may help.
Problem: Loss of power and EAC FAIL displayed.

Solution: The EAC FAIL relates to the electronic accelerator control. Vehicles that trigger diagnostic fault codes (DTCs) / fault codes P2138 with P2122, P2123 or P2127 a common problem is the PCM (powertrain control module = ECM = engine control module) electrical connector. Check the electrical connector for the PCM for damage to the terminals and pins. Replace or repair as necessary. On vehicles that trigger P2119, P2135, P2176, P0120, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222 or P0223 fault codes can suffer from the same PCM terminal damage but also suffer from throttle body electrical connector damage. The throttle body will need to be inspected and tested using an scope or scanner looking at live data. Check the serial number on the throttle body. Replace with a revised throttle body of the serial number is below 400000. Fault codes definition:

Pedal fault codes

P2120 ? Pedal sensor 1 electrical error

P2122 ? Pedal sensor 1 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P2123 ? Pedal sensor 1 electrical error short to battery

P2125 ? Pedal sensor 2 electrical error

P2127 ? Pedal sensor 2 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P2128 ? Pedal sensor 2 electrical error short to battery

P2138 ? Pedal sensor 1 & 2 ratio error

Throtlle body fault codes

P0120 ? Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error

P0122 ? Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error short to ground

P0123 ? Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error short to battery or line break

P0220 ? Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error

P0222 ? Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P0223 ? Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error short to battery

P2135 ? Throttle position sensor ratio error

P2119 ? Throttle plate convergence error. The throttle flap has not moved to the required position. This can be from an obstruction or incorrect signal. Check wiring and connectors.

P2176 - Throttle plate adaption error. After the ignition is switched off, the throttle body will run through an adaption cycle and spring check. This confirms correct functioning of the throttle body through the full range. If other fault codes are stored, they should be investigated first before P2176.

P2100 - H bridge error. Fault in circuit between throttle body motor and PCM.

PCM fault codes

P2107 - Processor monitoring on the main controller fault

P2108 - Analogue to digital converter. This can be a number of different sensors and will often be triggered with other fault codes that are more specific. P2108 can relate to mass air flow, engine speed, pedal ratio, TPS ratio, torque generation, engine speed limitation etc.

If there is inteferance or the voltage is not regulated correctly, the signal for pedals or throttle body will be out of range

P0641 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 noisy signal

P0642 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to ground or open circuit

P0643 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to battery

P0651 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 noisy signal

P0652 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 short to ground or open circuit

P0653 ? Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 short to battery

It just seems that some ford dealers are inept at iether diagnosing or rectyfying the problem, & if you ask if its common you get a NO!
04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - Fordtom

Hi Long time ago I know did you ever find a solution ? Have similar probs Thanks

04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - petedriver

Hi Long time ago I know did you ever find a solution ? Have similar probs Thanks

Well I have been chasing this type of issue on my 1.6 Fusion Auto 04 for quite some time. The problem is always either Throttle peddle or Throttle body. As you look around and touch things the fault goes so you think its maybe fixed. But then after any time it comes back. The worst issue is that limp mode is between 5 and 10mph. A terrible speed and no power to pull away. Getting home up a hill and it just about gets there at 5mph or less.

I had unplugged both parts and checked them out, refitted and this is when it sometimes fixes it but it always comes back.

I did get a used throttle body and fit with the usual result that fault goes away.

Last December it was permanent so following other threads I took the challenge to remove the ECU. Always disconnect battery before unplugging ECU. That means getting it out of the cradle while still plugged in. This is because it has a shear bolt in and therefore no head to get any tool onto it to unscrew the retaining bolt. So I drilled the centre of the bolt about 5mm or 6mm deep. Then hammered a torx bit into the bolt. Now able to unscrew the plug.

No visible water ingress or pin contact corrosion. Sprayed some contact cleaner and replaced. Fault cleared.

3-6 months later fault back. unplugged ECU, plugged back in and ok.

Last week after the car had been unused for aabout 4 days the fault came back, so very damp period which seems to be when it starts playing up. Unplugged again and checked all plugs etc on throttle body and pedal. All ok but still nothing working correctly.

Decided to place ECU in front of a heater to warm it up, well got it quite hot. Replaced and now can clear the management light. Started up with OBD monitor on and very poor running. Looked at throttle position and it was swinging wildly between 3 and 100% so clearly an issue. I just let the car warm up a little in tickover so the ECU could try to stablisie as it had been removed. It did stabilise on about 3.5% throttle but a fluke observation was as I got out of the car the throttle jumped up from 3.5 and then settled down. This happened a couple of times. Then it has settled and is fine. It has been a few days and now no issues again. I will continue to monitor throttle position with OBD just to see if I spot a problem creeping back before it fails again.

I have now also replaced the throttle pedal just so the easy parts have been swapped.

If it happens again my plan is to just put a heat gun onto the ECU and plug to slowly warm them up to see if the fault clears without any physical movement of parts.

It is really frustrating and I am glad I have the patience to look for the problem and can get the car running. The bad part is its my wife's car so she gets stuck and is worried in case it cuts out when pulling out into traffic. Has only happened once like this. If i wa spaying for diagnosis then it would probably be hundreds by now if not into a thousand.

Hope this helps others.

04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - dieselnut

In a previous post on this thread elekie doc posted " Areas that need to be looked at are connections to the electronic throttle body and also those on the main engine control unit where the pins are not a tight enough fit onto the components.hth "

You seem to have identified the ECU as the source of your problems.

So I would look very carefully at the solder conexions between the ECU plug connector & the PCB. I think elekie is refering to possible dry solder joints between the two.

You will need to be pretty handy with the soldering iron or find someone who is.

Also would be worth following inj doc suggestion "
Check the serial number on the throttle body. Replace with a revised throttle body of the serial number is below 400000. "

Both well respected contributors to this forum.

04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - petedriver

Well it failed again a few weeks ago and I managed to get some wiring diagrams that showed an in line connector between the throttle body and the ECU located on the side of the engine block, close to the ECU. Another between the throttle pedal and the ECU located behind the battery, has a 10mm bolt on top that holds it together. Both appeared ok and no dampness of signs of corrosion.
Then last week its failed again, P2176 and P2135. I am sure I also noted P0222. They are no loger appearing in the stored fault register, just pending faults.

I will look again at another throttle body and I am also looking at ECU's but the issue is either getting Ford to reprogram a replacement as I understand the key's transponder code is held in the ECU but some write up's also say there is another Body Control Module in the dashboard that does this.

Alternative here is to obtain ECU, keys with transpoders and the BCM (if it is required)

Be interested if anyone knows where the key transponder codes are stored, if there is a BCM that I have to obtain?

On the subject of looking at the ECU plug/socket solder connections then the ECU has the aluminium case edges folded over and no doubt glued/sealed as well making getting it apart quite a job and potential to cause damage.

04 1.4, EAC fail - (petrol) re-curring TPS fault - Ashleigh Thomas
I now have this fault on a 04 plate 83k miles a quick restart of the engine seems to resolve but is getting more regular, seems to always fail in second gear on roundabouts or hills, my cousin runs a garage and untill stays on he can not run diagnostics ????? But today it cut out twice and now I have an engine management light on, any ideas and I am not technical about cars so in the least technical terms so I can understand would be great thanks ????