Year of manufacture. - madux
I bought my 2003 Triumph Sprint RS 3 years ago.
I recently found out that it is a 2001, not 2003 model - seemingly identical but 108 bhp and not the 118 bhp I thought it had.
Should I be upset?
All the 955i owners I have mentioned this to say the earlier engine is better for road use - more low and mid-range grunt.
I then thought : What if it were a Jap bike? They seem to update their engines every few weeks! How do you know when your bike was actually built?
Year of manufacture. - martint123
Most bikes also change names or colour schemes regularly so dating them can be fairly easy.
Some manufacturers though are different and you couldn't tell if it was a week old or a decade old (or half a century).
Year of manufacture. - gmac
The UK appear hotter on this than other markets. Dealers in the UK can keep a bike in a crate for a number of years and stick it on the latest plate so you have to look at what exact model you are buying.

In Germany a Honda CBR600 between 1995 and 1998 are all PC31, only the UK distinguishes between FS,T,V & W models.

Edited by gmac on 30/05/2009 at 22:42

Year of manufacture. - SteVee
I tried to buy a new Suzuki DL1000 - my local dealer said they had just uncrated one, so i toddled down there. It obviously wasn't the current model - wrong colour. the id plate showed it was about 2 years old. The salesman did agree that the list price was not going to be achieved - but then offered such a poor part exchange that the 'cost to change' was silly.