03 2.0 Diesel additive - stephen1
Hello

I have recently purchased a 53 reg Citroen C8 and last week on the computer readout I was alarmed to read, "diesel additive minimum level".
My local Citroen Dealer in Sunderland has advised this will cost in the region of £300.
Can anyone please advise if I can have this work done elsewhere and cheaper?

Thankyou
Stephen

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/05/2009 at 15:02

03 2.0 Diesel additive - citroened off
Hi everyone

I bought a C8 earlier in the year and now have the same problem, ie, additive minimum level and filter blocked.

Having read a lot of the messages from other victims of the dreaded mix i have question.

Reading between the lines when the car is refuelled a measured amount of fluid is injected
into tank, if this is a set measurement regardless of amount of fuel added why not fill the eolys tank with fluid and diesel. reset the levels and carry on as normal ????

I look forward to some clues
03 2.0 Diesel additive - dieselnut
The Eolys fluid helps the carbon particles to burn off in the FAP at a lower temperature.
If you substitute a different fluid to the Eolys the FAP will soon clog up completely & cause you further problems & expense.
Low Eolys fluid usually coincides with the need for a FAP clean or change.
I can see what you are getting at regarding the amount of fluid injected at each re-fuel.
I used to have a C5.
On that, after filling up, when you first turn on the ignition the fuel guage still registered the fuel level before filling up.
Once you re-started the engine the guage would then move to register the new fuel level.
I am fairly certain that during this period, the ECU calculates the amount of fuel added & injects the correct amount of Eolys for that amount of fuel. But only someone with inside info or knowledge of the software would know for sure.
03 2.0 Diesel additive - Armitage Shanks {p}
As a previous owner of an EOLYS/DPF equipped PSA car ISTR that EOLYS is injected each time the filler cap is taken off and replaced and I am not sure if the system knows how much fuel was put in? I took to running my tank to well below 1/4 and then filling up. The fewer times you take the cap off the less EOLYS you use, perhaps? I ran 5 years and 60K miles without needing any EOLYS or servicing (forced regeneration) of the DPF.
So maybe my best bet is to top up the fluid and get some independent tech to reset the levels and filter. With it been the C8 does the engine have to be dropped to get to filter or is it possible to remove and clean myself ???

03 2.0 Diesel additive - WorkshopTech
Not really recommended to do this job yourself. If will have to be removed an washed out - thats if its not too far gone. I think there is now someone supplying these filter exchange, I will ask around.

Hi all

Just an update, the timing belt snapped the other week, finally had a repair job done and got it back. Fine going home now got black/blue smoke and lack of power.

Can't here the turbo working anymore would this give these syptoms ?

HELP !!!

03 2.0 Diesel additive - Collos25

Typical signs of a turbo not working might only be a dislodged pipe given the work that has been done.Take the car back to the garage and have them look.

Took the car back and indeed the turbo bearings had collapsed, the garage swapped the turbo and great ! power back no smoke just the usual messages sayin low fuel additive and the occasional anti pollution fault, which sometimes limits the revs.

I read on a forum last month that someone had removed the particulate filter the same as on my shed and fitted a inline fuel filter to rear pipe of the particulate filter housing, I presume this is to fool the ecu into believing the fumes are clean. I'm now looking for this thread but can't seem to find it can anyone help ?????

My question is does it need to be a metallic filter???

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

03 2.0 Diesel additive - Rich320d

Feel sorry for you man, try and have a good Xmas.

This just confirms what I thought:

1. Citroens are a nightmare to be avoided, they are cheap for a reason!!

2. Diesels with DPFs are to be avoided, its OK if you are under manufacturers warranty but after that expensive bills.... eating any savings from the extra mpg..

I will be sticking to petrol engines they are much simpler to fix

03 2.0 Diesel additive - Collos25

I agree the overall running costs of a diesel out of warranty can be quiet horrendous.

03 2.0 Diesel additive - heald107

yes mate been through all that did it all for £70 + 3ltr additive kit +filter gasket kit 2hrs including cleaning ceramic filter send me contact number if you want to know more i am down the road in redcar

03 2.0 Diesel additive - heald107

beware c8 owners of cars before 06 my timing belt snapped 18/12/10 due to cold icy water settling on or around timing belt and freezing causing catastrophic component failure as it did in my case with my wife driving in minus 7 on a ice and snow covered dual carriageway and my car is a 53 with 80000 on clock anyway to cut a long story short the car is now at citroen hyde having £8000 pounds worth of brand spanking 2.2hdi engine fitted courtisey of citroen uk . All because of a design floor that was rectified 06 onwards a plastic insert that displaces water awy from said housing. No recall was ever sent out for this fault think citroen were hoping for mild winters

03 2.0 Diesel additive - Mac1963

Hi, would greatly appreciate some further details if possible as to how you got Citroen to pay for this. Back in 2008 our 04 C8 suffered a similar cambelt failure at 85,000 miles. Citroen refused to entertain any claim on them despite the belt breaking 15,000 miles before it was due to be replaced under normal servicing. We eventually had engine repaired at a cost of £3,500 as couldn't afford the £5,500 Citroen wanted for a new engine. If there is the slightest chance of getting the money back it would be great.

03 2.0 Diesel additive - rab121

yes mate been through all that did it all for £70 + 3ltr additive kit +filter gasket kit 2hrs including cleaning ceramic filter send me contact number if you want to know more i am down the road in redcar .................................................................................................. hi mate can u help me got 03 plate c8 got diesel additive minimum come lot of problem with diesel filter block the car coughing spluttering when slow speed just had new perticular filter can u point me in right direction thank rab

03 2.0 Diesel additive - zapzo

Please would you help me please need to know where to buy the eolys at that price ,

Thanks

03 2.0 Diesel additive - sam052

yes mate been through all that did it all for £70 + 3ltr additive kit +filter gasket kit 2hrs including cleaning ceramic filter send me contact number if you want to know more i am down the road in redcar

HI my name is sam i have same prob can you tell me where you got parts from or is it poss to speak to you on phone thanks in advance.sam

Please would you tell me where to buy the oil additive at that price

regards

Please would you tell me where did buy the oil additive i just remove the exhaust but the turbo make a sound please help me

regards

03 2.0 Diesel additive - WEB DESIGNER

I am fairly certain that during this period, the ECU calculates the amount of fuel added & injects the correct amount of Eolys for that amount of fuel. But only someone with inside info or knowledge of the software would know for sure.

Web Designers

03 2.0 Diesel additive - Peter.N.

If that has the 8 valve engine I am surprised it has a DPF niether the C5 or the 406 do. Anyway it is not difficult to add fluid and the best price for it will probably be on ebay. that's where I got mine.