Road closures after crashes. - defender
I see as a result of a crash between a police car on a training run and an ambulance in the highlands the road was closed for nearly 12 hours ,surely this is a bit over the top ,
it was all in daylight hours so no hold up there .
I realise a reasonable time is needed but a closure of this lenth of time which means a 70 mile detour I dont see the need for . what are they going to find after 10 hours that couldnt be found in 6 for example ?

on another closure that was caused by a cycle race and caused locals to be stuck in their own homes for a few hours someone scattered carpet tacks and managed to puncture over 500 of the bikes ,cant say I totally approve but at least their problems will be addressed by the organisers instead of being ignored as before

Edited by Pugugly on 24/05/2009 at 00:28

road closures - mazdaboy
Bit over the top? Probably because in this case there were fatal or life threatening issues which needed proper investigation.

There was once posted on this website a very thorough and sobering account (by a police accident investigator) of the practical and legal issues that need to be dealt with after a serious accident. It blew all of the petty concerns of those not directly involved out of the water.

If only I could find it I would recommend it was a sticky given the repetion of similar threads.
road closures - defender
no there was no fatal and no life theatening although there was one airlifted
road closures - Mr X
Blame culture. There must be some one to point the finger at.
road closures - Pugugly
Who do you blame for the blame culture ? :-)
road closures - BobbyG
Lawyers and Solicitors! Where there's blame they gain!! :)
road closures - bell boy
i blame that bush im sure it looked at me as i drove past
thing is as mentioned a million times before
yes everything needs data ring
but to shut major roads that are the lifeblood of a local community is taking things too far
road closures - Andrew-T
There were fatal or life threatening issues which needed proper investigation ..

That may be. But one can imagine 'proper investigation' taking days, or even weeks. However roads, especially in the Highlands, can be at least as essential as a 'p.i.'. A fair balance has to be found between investigating and reopening the road so that fewer travellers are inconvenienced. Sometimes it just gets a bit too autocratic.
road closures - bell boy
Sometimes it just gets a bit too autocratic.
i p[refer hydromatic but then im usually gone like greased lightening
road closures - 1400ted
Accident on the corner of our road this morning, road closed off and taped for a long time. I didn't see what happened but I was told by a visitor that a paramedic fast response car had gone through a brick wall into a storage compound and only the tailgate could be seen. He must have been going at a fair speed.
I hope all involved were ok. I expect my daughter, a paramedic, will know what happened.......I'll report back.

Ted
road closures - Mr X
Should I go down this whole ' emergency services drivers think they are better than they are ' route.... ?
road closures - Pugugly
No. I assume it was a rhetorical question. Still no though ! :-)

Edited by Pugugly on 24/05/2009 at 01:06

road closures - Mr X
Turning left at the next junction then.
road closures - Pugugly
Thanks. Sorry I edited my reply after you posted lest it sound snotty !
road closures - bell boy
i find the middle pedal always the best solution
road closures - stunorthants26
Given that it is highly unlikley that the emergency services sit plotting just how much chaos they can cause in between shifts, one would have to assume, if the roads closed, thats because it needs to be.

Those people who put the messages up on the matrix sign son motorways however, I suspect they might do :-)
road closures - Andrew-T
One would have to assume, if the roads closed, thats because it needs to be.

I suspect that some 21st-century closures may be (or seem to be) longer than before, because due to the Blame culture, none of those immediately on the scene have enough authority to risk a decision before their boss arrives. Surely, unless an injured party is best left where it is, photos could be taken (as suggested below), witness details collected, then any damaged vehicles moved asap?

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/05/2009 at 10:34

road closures - sierraman
Turning left at the next junction then.

Right, surely.
road closures - Kiwi Gary
We had this argument in NZ a year or three back. The coroners were getting upset because the police were not giving them enough information to make a definitive ruling, so the police are now required to treat every crash as a formal crime scene, with all its forensic reconstructions etc.

An American company was here last year [ I think ] introducing a system whereby the scene can be photographed quickly from various angles, and computer software used to do the reconstructions from damage, skid marks, etc. Supposedly allows re-opening of the road in a short time, with the forensics being done in relative comfort back at the office.