Buying an ex-contract hire car - kitefield
I'm considering buying an o8 plate Peugeot 206 with just under 6,000 miles on the clock but have just learnt that it's an ex-contract hire car. Should I be wary and should this put me off? The asking price is £7,500 - but I'm more concerned about the possible history of the car than anything else - is it likely to have been ill-cared for in the past or should I not worry given the age and low mileage? Thanks.
Buying an ex-contract hire car - Rattle
The price seems way way too step for what is essentialy a 1998 car :(.
Buying an ex-contract hire car - DP
Ex contract hire is itself nothing to worry about. What is more important is what the car has been used for, and by whom.

This age and mileage implies ex-hire car to me. Not a showstopper IMHO, but it does put people off. Also I agree with Rattle - the price sounds steep. These aren't exactly current technology.

Cheers
DP
Buying an ex-contract hire car - daveyjp
My wife's company rents Peugeots from the local dealer on long term hire. It's swapped every 6 months or 6,000 miles whichever comes sooner. An 08 206 suggests it may have been the garage courtesy car. 6,000 miles isn't a lot for a contract hire vehicle over such a long period of time.

I would have no issue buying an ex courtesy car, my next car will probably be one. Just give it a good check over and ensure the price is sensible.

Edited by daveyjp on 22/05/2009 at 09:39

Buying an ex-contract hire car - Bill Payer
My wife's company rents Peugeots from the local dealer on long term hire. It's swapped
every 6 months or 6 000 miles whichever comes sooner.

Sorry for thread drift - I've heard of large companies doing short-term rental on a national lever, but how does it work locally, is it cheaper than other ways of acquiring vehicles?
Buying an ex-contract hire car - Andrew-T
As said by others, no reason to walk away immediately. This car will have no service record, so you will have to judge it by what you see - any damage, missing bits or spares, fag burns, smelly interior, general appearance of not being cared for. If all that looks OK, consider the price and act accordingly.
Buying an ex-contract hire car - mikeyb
When did they stop making the 206? I can see that the 207 was launched in 2006 so was there an overlap in production, or has this one been sat in a field for 18 months before it was forced on a dealer as a courtesy car?

Dont really know if the price is fair or not as we dont know what model 206 it is.
Buying an ex-contract hire car - midlifecrisis
You'll easily get a 207 for that price. A far, far superior car.
Buying an ex-contract hire car - Lou_O
You'll easily get a 207 for that price. A far far superior car.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=294

Don't waste your money. 7.5k buys a lot of car, and judging by HJ's report, there are plenty better to choose from.

Buying an ex-contract hire car - midlifecrisis
That's a link to the 206 (which I wouldn't buy).

The 207 is a pretty good small car and has had excellent reviews.
Buying an ex-contract hire car - Lou_O
That's a link to the 206 (which I wouldn't buy).
The 207 is a pretty good small car and has had excellent reviews.

The OP was talking about the 206, and that's why I put a link up.

Reading my post it's a bit confusing, but what I meant was don't buy a 206 for 7.5k!

Edited by Lou_O on 30/05/2009 at 15:06

Buying an ex-contract hire car - Andrew-T
I can see that the 207 was launched in 2006

It may even be a 207? If so, it won't be the first time the wrong model number has been advertised. I recall seeing a 206 advertised as a 205 not many years ago ...
Buying an ex-contract hire car - bell boy
as its ex contract hire ensure no horses head under parcel shelf before you buy it gommorrah
Buying an ex-contract hire car - Xtype
There are 09 plates on autotrader which im surprised to see.
Very old design now and one of the worst gearboxes/driving positions ive ever seen.
Stick to a 207 for that kind of money, far better car and full of safety kit.
The 206 is a very old car now.