2001 - Making a Bush Removal Tool - mickyh7
Hello, I want to make a Bush Removal Tool to change the Rose Joint Bushes on my car.I plan to use some old sockets and some Threaded Bar. I have access to Threaded Bar from work,but wondered if anyone would know what Diameter and Length I should use (I don't have a manufactured tool to copy from.I hear they are quite weak, and overpriced). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Webmaster on 20/05/2009 at 13:23

Making a Bush Removal Tool - bell boy
cant help you with measurements but can give some advice
buy a new bush,this will give you the diameter of the bar that will fit and max socket size
be aware you ideally need a thrust washer and bearing on the nut you are tightening or all you do is stip the threads as all the action is on these
look at a similar tool to see what i mean
ive now broken 2 threaded bars for the void bushes in fiesta rear beams so have obtained some stainless bar which im told is much stronger that case hardened steel (havent tried it yey)

be aware you need to only use hand tools to remove the bushes as you get a feel of whats happening
be sure to wire brush the ends up good before you start and use plenty of oil to help them pop out
replacement as they say

ps you could always nip into see your mot man he may well have one of these tools for you to peruse
Making a Bush Removal Tool - mickyh7
Thanks for your quick reply-That's good information and I'll bear it all in mind-Again Thanks. Mickyh
Making a Bush Removal Tool - Chris M
Why not see if there is a second hand tool on ebay, do the job and then stick it back on ebay. May only cost you the price of the postage.
Making a Bush Removal Tool - doofer
Whereabouts are you? If you're near Perth I'll bring mine over.
Making a Bush Removal Tool - mickyh7
Shame doofer - I'm in Leeds ! It would be cheaper buying one ,than all the Petrol involved lol -Thanks anyway -Very Kind - Mick