VW 1.4 TSI Engine - Neilly
Hi,

Thinking about buying a Golf and just have some doubts regarding the engine. In the past I've had the 1.8 and 2.0 engines. I know the 1.4 is turbocharged but I just can't quite get my head round the fact that it's still a 1.4 engine. Hope you understand what I mean here.

Is the technology of this engine proven? and if I decide to go for this engine would you recommend it or not for any reason. I'm just a bit concerened about its longevity really.

Be very interested in people's thoughts.

TIA

Neil.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - happytorque
I wouldnt be too concerned that its turbocharged. I would be more bothered that its direct inject. Turbos have been around for years, but im still not convinced that any manufacturer has got direct injection sorted on its petrol engines.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - Avant
I rather share your misgivings, Neil, but I'd be happy to be corrected by any of our mechanical experts.

Instinctively - and it is only instinctively, as I've driven about 900,000 miles in 40 years but am no mechanic - I favour large, less stressed engines with plenty of low-down torque, which give the promise of long life as well as oomph when you need it.

Does anyone know if the 1.4 TSI has a significant economy advantage over the 2.0? It may not do if higher revs are need to deliver similar performance. And we have yet to see how well this engine lasts over a high mileage.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - rtj70
I had a few 1.8T VAG cars... I'd need a long (48+ hour test drive) in a 1.4TSI. The super+turbo engine might have lots of go but I would be unsure of the 1.4 turbo. Probably fine.

I know the 1.8T I had was only 150PS and they got 225PS in the Audi S3 but I'd want to see how the 1.4TSi performed. Then again the BMW Mini JCW 1.6 turbo is 208PS!
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - mustangman
I have a mk6 Golf 1.4 tsi ( with dsg )

I would have to say that over my now 3 months with the car I'm still impressed with the engine. It feels much like a typical 1.8 to drive. There is no reason to rev the nuts off it either, since it pulls well from low revs, and does not have an obvious turbo cut in point. Otherwise smooth & quiet, and with top gear being about 34 mph / 1000 revs, a good motorway car. I'm getting around 43 - 45 mpg with a mix of mway & 'burbs.

Of course it has variable inlet timing ( anyone know how this is done ? ), and sequential ignition, which you could say are a reliability risk. ( But seemingly no spark plugs ) I'll get back to you on this in the coming months, hopefully years.

Edited by mustangman on 19/05/2009 at 22:02

VW 1.4 TSI Engine - happytorque
Try this presentation for engine details.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvysuD5MFow

It will be a good few years before im convinced though.
Thanks for all the replies. Youtube vid was interesting.

Think I'll book myself a test drive and see what I think.

Neil.

Edited by Neilly on 20/05/2009 at 19:58

Well I had the test drive, looked around at my options of other cars but decided to order a Golf.

1.4 TSI SE on order - Let's hope all goes well.

Neil.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - MikeTorque
Smaller capacity turbo charged engines are the engines for today & tomorrow. Many motor manufacturers are choosing these types of engine designs as they provide improved fuel economy, cleaner emissions and less CO2, good performance, less weight and improved front end handling, plus low cost multiple tuning options for the manufacturer.

Direct petrol injection is replacing indirect injection just as direct injection become the norm for diesel engines.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - tack
Are you going for the Golf 1.4TSI 122 or 160? I think the 160 has been described as a warm hatch. Is the 160 also a twin turbo, as opposed to single on the 122?

I can't get my head around a 1.4 tsi in a Passat either! That is a big lump to pull around.
No, the 160 has both a supercharger & a turbo. The 122 ( which I have ) has turbo only.
Personally I find the performance more than adequate, you get about 9.5 sec 0-60 IIRC.
( btw since I'm a "9-point" man, I don't get to use anything like the available go, grrrr.... )
I'm going for the 122PS engine.

We had a discussion at work about the 160 and people thought it was a lot to get out of a 1.4 and were concerned about its reliability and longevity.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - tack
Have also just ordered the Golf 1.4Tsi 122 DSG.

I took the TDI GT DSG, Tsi SE manual, and the Tsi SE DSG out for test drives.

The dsg knocks my Picasso egs into a cocked hat!

I decided against the GT as it was so much more money for so little extra. I thought the engine was brilliant, smooth, torquey, hushed and the dsg so "snell, snell". The car feels a lot faster than the 0-62 9.3secs suggests. Cruising at 70 in 7th and flooring it produced the correct gear for decent acceleration instantly.

I got target price as well as a good p/x for the sponge on wheels. I worked out cost to change figures that I wanted to pay, and they came within £120 of it. Couldn't budge them any further. I liked the dealer (who was really helpful and not pushy.

(He told me if I wanted a Passat he would have rolled out the red carpet for me and knocked £5k off an estate SE or High Line!, they are not shifting at all)

Audi just down the road lost the business as I spent 20mins in the showroom being completely ignored. Same with BMW showroom, not a flicker of interest.

I walked into VW, was greeted with "Hello, if you need any help, I am here, coffee and brochures are there, all cars are unlocked, just jump in and out as you want"

VW 1.4 TSI Engine - woodster
Tack - where's the dealer knocking 5k off a Passat please?
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - tack
Inchcape VW in Harold Wood, Essex. They apparently bought 5000 cheaply. Figure mentioned to me for an SE was £18k, but I dare say you could bargain even better?
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - Avant
Passats aren't shifting because there's really no reason to buy one. The Octavia is about £4,000 cheaper with the same engines and almost as much room for people and luggage, and if you need more room get a Mondeo.

Unlike the Passat, both have proper handbrakes, as discussed in the recent thread - a more important factor than it sounds.

Even with £5k off a Passat, I'd still have an Octavia (as indeed I do).

Edited by Avant on 19/06/2009 at 23:30

VW 1.4 TSI Engine - tack
tinyurl.com/kpnm3d

This is the Inchcape Romford (Harold Wood) offers price list, savings range from £4k-£6k for the Passat.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - woodster
Thanks Tack and point about the handbrake noted Avant.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - Bill Payer
They apparently bought 5000 cheaply.

5000?? Even if they got them for £10K each that's still £50M. I know Inchcape is a pretty big, publically quoted, company, but where would even they get that kind of money?
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - tack
5000?.........sorry that should have read 500. The Parkinsons made me add an extra zero! On line banking is murder at present too.
Hope you like it! What trim did you go for. I went for the SE

Just wondering also if you have a delivery date yet? I ordered mine on 3rd June and am still waiting for a delivery date. Seems odd to me but maybe it's the norm?

Anyone care to comment on the timeframe?

Have added a few extras but nothing like a sunroof.

Thanks,

Neil.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - njsb
I ordered on 3rd June and have a build date of week of 20th July, then adding on 3 weeks for delivery, but I am waiting till beginning of September to get 59 plate.

Mine is not the 1.4 Petrol I have ordered a 1.6 Diesel SE, so might be different build wait time.

Nigel
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - tack
I have ordered the petrol 1.4 (122) SE DSG in pearl black. I saw one in the showroom in the same colour and I really liked it. They had one in group stock and it should be ready for collection next week.
Tack, just to comment, I've had my black 1.4 tsi se since march. ( allbeit mine's a dsg )

Still very happy with the car, ( done about 4k ) just a few points of interest >

The engine is about the smoothest I've driven for a long time, I'm getting around 43 mpg for local type stuff, about 52 on long runs at sensible speeds ( I can never forget those 9 points. )

I've just had my first stonechip. :-( Why is the paint coat underneath white ?! Is it something to do with water-based ?

I still think the heater controls are carp, but I've already had a wine about about this.

I hope you enjoy your car.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - oldgit
Dare I sound conceited enough to say that a lot of people here know that my new Golf has been on order since Feb 26th and is now due to be built next week (hopefully). This date was confirmed as a phone call from Milton Keynes - not the dealer (they know nothing, it seems).
My car's spec. is as follows.

1. 1.4 TSI 'SE' 5dr hatchback
2. Metallic Reflex Silver (what else?)
3. Sunroof.
4. Multifunction Steering Wheel
5. Parking sensors front and rear
6. Luxury pack.

I don't think I've missed anything out although I could have - it seems such a long time ago, now, when I ordered it!

It will seem strange to have a new, more torquey car that will be even more economical than my current MK5 Golf 1.6 FSI.
It has averaged 42mpg over the last four and a half years of ownership.

Edited by oldgit on 23/06/2009 at 12:54

VW 1.4 TSI Engine - AlanGowdy
Good to see that other manufacturers are belatedly following Fiat's lead (Uno Turbo 1985) in installing small capacity turbocharged petrol engines for a better combination of performance and economy than previously achievable. They're getting so good they may even attract me away from my diesel one day.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - DP
Rover got there first with the Metro Turbo in 1982.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - diddy1234
Ford will be following suit when they launch their next Focus car.

All of Fords petrol engines will gradually change over to 'Ecoboost'
From reading Autocar website, The next focus will start of with a 1.0L turbo engine producing 89Bhp or 109Bhp

That's mad for a little engine

Aparantly BMW are developing 3 cylinder engines (with turbo's) for their 1 series cars
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - AlanGowdy
Good point DP. I'd forgotten the Metro, though it wasn't particularly fast (if I recall correctly, 0-60 in around 10 seconds). The Montego and Maestro turbos were pretty quick in their day - though not of course with small capacity engines.

Edited by AlanGowdy on 23/06/2009 at 17:19

Just been given a date of week 40.

See what happens!
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - DP
The Montego and Maestro turbos were pretty quick in
their day - though not of course with small capacity engines.

An old friend had a Montego Turbo. When we all get together for a catch up as we do occasionally, his is the only car that everyone remembers. Ferociously quick with rampant torque steer and that was before he had Motobuild eke 230 bhp out of it. Dry road, tyre smoking wheelspin in 3rd. Mental car!
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - SteVee
>>The next focus will start of with a 1.0L turbo engine producing 89Bhp or 109Bhp

That's mad for a little engine<<

1 litre bike engines produce well in excess of this - without a turbo, but at much higher revs.
My own 900 bike produces about 88bhp with an 8000 RPM rev limit. A litre sports bike will be around the 150BHP mark.
The turbo will allow the rev limit to be reduced and make the engine usable in a car.

Engine life / reliability is achievable also - the Suzuki Hyabusa produces about 175BHP from 1.3 litres and is long lived and reliable.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - Paul G1pdc
HI.
don't forget the Daihatsu Charade 1litre ,
or the 1.4 R5 turbo.
the Daihatsu Charade
"The GTti was able to claim to be the first production car to produce 100bhp per litre and was also the fastest 1 litre production car made. It also had a fairly successful rally career competing in the RAC Lombard Rally in 1989 and 1990 and was highly competitive in the Safari Rally. The GTti won class honours many times and was able to mix it with some of the 2 litre cars on occasion troubling some of the 4wd cars !"
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - diddy1234
So if the Daihatsu Charade 1litre was 100Bhp back in 88 / 89, why did no one else jump on the band wagon and start making 100Bhp 1litre cars ?

I could be wrong (and I kind of hoping I am) but until the new focus comes out next year, no one is making a 1litre car with 100Bhp.

Is reliability an issue ?
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - J500ANT
I've just been told by my local Skoda dealer that they've stopped producing the Octavia 1.4tsi - she had no idea why though. Worrying as thats what i've been looking at.
VW 1.4 TSI Engine - Tornadorot
I've just been told by my local Skoda dealer that they've stopped producing the Octavia
1.4tsi - she had no idea why though. Worrying as thats what i've been looking
at.

Someone on the Briskoda forum posted a missive from Skoda a couple of weeks ago saying the 1.4TSI is still in short supply and Octavia 1.4TSIs are being rationed until September. Skoda are reviving the 1.6 MPI engine and making the 1.8TSI available on a wider range of trim levels as alternatives.