04 1.8SCI Engine rattle on idle - 3kidssoon
My 62K miles Mondeo SCI is rattling on idle and have been advised by local dealership that it needs a new timing chain because there is slack in it.

This will cost £550 all in ( 3.5 hrs labour including diagnosis time)

Does this sounds like the right fix and cost. I was under the impression that timing chains did not need replacement so early in life.

thanks
3ks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/05/2009 at 14:40

04 1.8SCI Engine rattle on idle - shadyarea
I had a (51) reg 2ltr couple yrs ago that had a rattle on idle it was the swirl plates in the inlet manifold. They wear on the spindles and have been known to break off and get injested into engine causing terminal damage.
Had to replace manifold ford only, £300 supply or £550 if they fitted.no parts avalible to replace so had to have complete manifold.
04 1.8SCI Engine rattle on idle - injection doc
Normally inlet manifold rattling the butterfly valves wear . get 2nd opinion & get it fixed. Iether could be harmful if left
04 1.8SCI Engine rattle on idle - 3kidssoon
Thanks for the responses. Definitely not the swirl valves - apparently Ford fixed this a year or so before mine was manufactured.

I've had the chain replaced today and it is much quieter. Still a slight rattle there but only if you lift the bonnet and listen carefully. Hopefully nothing to worry about :-)