broadband router linked to new linksys router? - rtj70
Would have been a lot easier to buy a new wireless router with ADSL....

I'd send it back. I can think of what you could do but to be honest if you're asking the question you're already out of your depth. Sorry.

When you have a combined router/ADSL it not only acts as a local DHCP provider but also passes on DNS info from your ISP. This could be fairly simple but not for the non-IT literate.
broadband router linked to new linksys router? - Rattle
I am not sure if they still sell them but I have done this quite a few times. Linksys used to make an ethernet ADSL modem. If a customer had a really nice router but changed from NTL (at the time) to ASDL the solution was one of them these ethernet ADSL modems. You have to set it up as bridge mode and it was very simple but its a couple of years since I've last done it as routers have come down so much pretty much all domestic routers are less than £100 now. Having said that I did have to use some networking knowledge to get it to work I am not sure how simple it would be doing it blind.

I would just do what rtj70 suggests buy a new one it will save all the hassle. Even if the ADSL one costs £30 more it will still work out cheaper when you consider the amount of time it will take to get this to work.

broadband router linked to new linksys router? - claybar
talktalk are sending me one of their modems out - will this be setup to plug straight into the linksys?

thanks
broadband router linked to new linksys router? - SpamCan61 {P}
I'm wondering what's wrong with the old Draytek box? Why not just use that? Seems a lot simpler than trying to set up a network bridge or whatever. I would think the TalkTalk box will be a combined modem / router / wireless which won't be any easier to plug into the Linksys than the Draytek.
The draytek I have sold on ebay (although i have a feeling i wish id kept hold of it!)
The linksys is a great router and was brought by my mother who works for Dixons and got a great discount on it - far cheaper than i could have brought it and as its getting rave reviews in the mags and supports the new 5ghz frequency I would like to keep hold of it.

The talktalk modem should be here this week and im hoping this will be easy to setup with the linksys.
The talktalk modem/router is not wireless.

thanks
broadband router linked to new linksys router? - SpamCan61 {P}
Ok I see where you're coming from, having Googled the Linksys it looks like an interesting box, seems to offer NAS functionality as well as wirless router, nice. Still likely to be a pain to set up with whatever turns up from TalkTalk though :-/
broadband router linked to new linksys router? - Stuartli
TalkTalk configuration:

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/56/68/

Particularly note that the MTU should be set at 1432. See:

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/55/68/

A TalkTalk modem used in conjunction with the TT Connect 'n Go CD should be pretty straightforward to set up.

TT Help and Support website pages:

www.talktalk.co.uk/help-and-support/help-desk

Edited by Stuartli on 19/05/2009 at 18:53

broadband router linked to new linksys router? - Xtype
Set the default ip address on the Linksys to '192.168.2.1'
save settings

now turn both devices off, after 20 sec power on talktalk modem, wait 10 seconds and power on linksys.

Should work.
yes this works great now. thanks