Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - peters2554
A little worried, may have jumped a red light (on a very poorly designed pedestrian crossing). There is no enforcement camera on the associated set of traffic lights, however there is a camera located on the set of traffic lights on the other side of the street (for a set of lights associated with traffic travelling in the opposite direction).

In theory, could the camera located on the opposite set of traffic lights (legally) be used for the purposes of issuing a penalty charge for the set of traffic lights without any camera? Or are cameras only ever linked to one particular set of lights?

Thank you for your time.
Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - Tron
SNIP

Reason given in another recent thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=74994&...e

DD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/05/2009 at 11:25

Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - Manatee
Not sure how Tron knows it wasn't poorly designed, or that the OP wasn't shocked and guilt-ridden at the possible consequences (I was when I missed a pelican altogether amongst a forest of traffic light standards in Cambridge), or why he bothered to post if he wasn't going to answer the question.

To the OP - a red light camera attached to a different set of lights will have no bearing. If it's CCTV it's possible that it could provide evidence, but there would have to be a complaint to lead to investigation.

I should think you will escape, and like me will feel terrible about it and be even more careful in future.

Edited by Manatee on 19/05/2009 at 00:15

Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - Lygonos
Red light cams flash when they are triggered (single rather than speed cam double flash).
Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - Hamsafar
All the red light cameras I have studies operate on one stop line and take two pictures. One to prove you went over the stop line and another to show that you continued into the junction. The time gap between the two pictures is set to reflect the likely speed of passing cars.
Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - LondonBus
Usually the gap is 1 second later.
Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - Tron
If they are digital cameras they uasually have infrared capabilities and do not 'flash' as a Truvelo or a Gatso will, to show you have activated it.

Hi definition CCTV again using just infrared, linked to the timing coils in the road can also be used to catch red light and other traffic offences - as in stopping in the yellow box.

Both types of camera can used in combination with speed measurement, similar to that of a Gatso speed camera. So you could end with a speeding offence as well as a traffic light offence, if you go through a red light camera.

Serves you right if you get caught.
Jumped red light: Camera not directly above? - Peter D
Normal traffic light cameras are not type approved for speeding prosecutions as there is no secondary check available, although many red light camera do detect your speed and provide as part of the data set. There are now RedSpeed cameras on some lights and 1 metre spaced white lines across the junction and they are type approved for both red light and speeding offences. Regards Peter