07 1.6 broken shock absorber - soupdragon
Hi, I recently had a minor impact to the front drivers side wing/door from someone reversing off their drive, didn't see me parked. It was very slow speed crunch and made a few dents and scrapes. Car went to crash repair garage. A few days after I got it back I noticed a rattle coming from front drivers side wheel. Because it started following the repair I took it back to same garage. They could not find fault in quick inspection so sent car to Ford for diagnosis. Ford could not take it in for 6 days so I continued driving. When they got it Ford reported back that the drivers side front shock absorber was "smashed". Not just worn or damaged, but completly broken. Car is under 3 years old, I have not hit any bumps at excessive speed. I don't know anything about shock absorbers or what might break them, does anyone have any idea what sort of things might have caused this damage? Could it (as the garage are suggesting) have been caused by original impact? The car that hit me was a big BMW 4X4, but speed was very slow. Also I am concerned that having driven the car for a total of 10 days before diagnosis further damage may have been caused because shock abosrber was broken. Any advice welcome, worried!
07 1.6 broken shock absorber - Hamsafar
Did the other car hit your wheel? Was your steering left with the wheels sticking out? Even so, I wouldn't expect the damper or spring to be smashed, but it is the best explanation.

I would rather expect that the garage lost control and hit a kerb or something. Check the tyre for signs of an impact, such bulging or scuffed sidewall.
Thanks for replying. I don't think wheel was hit in original impact. I was parked with passenger side front and back wheels on pavement, car hit drivers side. I was a bit suspicious damage could have been caused by repair garage - maybe dropping it off a jack or something? Any other comments welcome!
07 1.6 broken shock absorber - Robin the Technician
Hi,
As you say your car was parked next to the kerb when it was hit it may have pushed the n/s/front wheel against the kerb sufficiently to bend it slightly. That is enough to contribute to the failure of the shock absorber. I suspect that because you've driven it for 10 days in this condition, it looks far worse. A relatively easy item to replace and I would think you'd have no further problems afterwards.

hope this helps

07 1.6 broken shock absorber - bell boy
the shocker was probably bent and with you driving the car it caused it to fail totally
you really need the whole front suspension checking carefully as anything else might be bent too
speed isnt the problem its the mass sometimes
Thanks both of you, your comments are reassuring. I will make sure suspension gets thoroughly checked over when it is repaired. At the moment they are waiting for go-ahead from the insurance company, as this repair should go on the original claim if it was caused by the same impact.