99 1.6 Car shuddering and jolting in every gear - renaultdriver
My 1999 renault scenic 1.6 does not appear to be running smooth. For about a week now the car has been shuddering and jumping when pulling away. This is particuarly noticable when pulling away in traffic the car does not pull away smooth but rather jumpie as if i were pressing my foot up and down on the excelerator.
Even when going from 4th to 5th on the motorway the car still jumps and is not smooth. The only thing i can compare it too is when a HT lead is loose or split??

I have checked the leads and they appear to be in good order, the car has done 85,000 after a full engine rebuilt at 80,000 when the head gasget went.

In the last 4 months the car has had a new exhaust front to back, a new oxigen sensor and a new catalistic converter all done in February this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions? could this be down to bad plugs perhaps?? i got out of the motor game 15 years ago and have no idea where to start but relault are looking for ?350 for a service alone and this may not solve the porblem??
thanks
99 1.6 Car shuddering and jolting in every gear - andyp
If it's a 16v, i would say that one (or more) of the coils has started to break down.
It is a 16v, if it is the coils, is this something that can be done at home or does this need to go to the main dealer?
The Ignition coils are ?69 plus vat each from the main dealer here in ireland. to take the car in you must also have a diagnostic check at 85 blips and to change all four coild is ?410 al in.
I have been reading loads of articals that this a common fault and can be fixed FOC by renault but they are not having any of it here.

Does anyone know how i tell if mine is a 16valve or not, it is a 1999 1.6e and when i check under the bonnet it appears to have two HT leads going into each coil (2 coil) but renault said i need to replace all 4??

do some models just have two packs??? and can anyone recomend a good place to buy them as we get well and truely fleesed here in ireland so if i can order elsewhere i will.

thanks
99 1.6 Car shuddering and jolting in every gear - andyp
If it's a 1.6e with the coil set up you describe then its an 8 valve which doesn't have the infamous pencil coils fitted on each of the spark plug (Renault do replace these FOC for up to 5 years). I am not very familiar with the system on your car, but they are not too expensive, do you not have a reliable indie garage who could confirm that it is a coil fault and replace it if necessary (unlike the 16v system you only need to replace the faulty unit, not all of them ! ?)