Vivaro - 06 1.9 - Engine Stalling - timpea
Hi,

I have had my Vivaro stall when i have been driving 3 times now, all 3 times it has been after 30 min of driving, the engine has stalled, I have been able to start it again straight away, drive for another 50metres(ish) and it will stall again. Then if i try to start the engine it just turns over on the starter.

When i leave the van for 1 - 2hours, come back and it starts again and runs with no problems.

The EML light is on, and i bought a opcom usb cable/software off ebay and it gave me the dtc of :p1804, I can't find any reference of this code to a Vivaro, does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be, or what the error code is?

Thanks
Tim Pearson

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/05/2009 at 19:37

Vivaro - 06 1.9 - Engine Stalling - topbloke
i cant find this code either, engine code may be of help, should be something like F9Q plus some more letters
Vivaro - 06 1.9 - Engine Stalling - Dynamic Dave
The only reference I can find to code P1804 is "Transmission 4-Wheel Drive High Indicator Circuit Failure"

That's the only thing googling P1804 brings up.

Are you sure that's the right code?
Vivaro - 06 1.9 - Engine Stalling - DP
Based on this very dodgy translation from a Polish forum, and relating to a 2004 Renault Trafic 1.9 (same van essentially), it would appear to be something to do with a boost pressure sensor:

Have a look and see what you think:

tinyurl.com/c3p9ug
This might make sense... going to try and find a boost pressure sensor to swap it with. I get a feeling the boost pressure solenoid (the one with 2 pipes) isn't right, should this make a rattling sound?

The engine code is F9Q 762.

Many Thanks
Tim
that code makes no sense at all but the symtoms you describe is classic crank sensor failing due to heat can you get any live data with this software that you have brought, cant see a boost sensor causeing a non start/stalling
Hey, I couldn't see a boost sensor stopping it from running, but haven't had too much experience with vehicle mechanics, so just trying most ideas. The idea of the crank sensor failing under heat makes a lot of sense for the symptoms.

I can get live readings, the reading about Crank Sensor is: Cam/Crank Sensor Signal Synchronisation Status, and when the van is running the output is: Synchronous. I have yet to have my laptop on me when it has packed in to check the live readings.

One of the previous error codes stored on the ecu was: P1372 - Crankshaft Sensor Segment Error. Which backs this idea up.

I get a feeling the continuous error code is to do with this boost pressure, as the boost presure solenoid makes a ridiculous rattling noise when the engine is running, need to find someone to swap with to see if it work.

Cheers
Tim
i assume that you have cleared the code down and driven untill it comes back on and rechecked, it could be an old code, however that code is not used on this engine, subject to this vehicle being high mileage is it not still within warranty !
When I clear the code the EML light goes off for about 2 sec, then pops back on with the code P1804, just on the ignition, which other than the polish forum i have not seen anyone get this... It has done 70000 miles, no idea if its in warranty, do you know how long the warranty is on Vivaro's? Its an old DHL van so can't imagine they would have had extended warranty over 3 years, but could be wrong.
I have just had another play with the laptop, if I unplug the boost pressure sensor I get a Boost Pressure Sensor low voltage error, and my P1804 error goes. Anyone know if Monavo use the same part?
Last week the same thing happened but it wouldn't start again even when cold. I bought a new Crankshaft Sensor and it is back up and running now :). Just need to get rid of this P1804 error, I don't really want to buy a new Boost pressure sensor until I have tested it first. The readout of the boost pressure through the laptop when its just on the ignition is 124Kpa, I assume this should be more around 100Kpa?
boost pressure should read atmospheric if the engine is not running, slightly less on tickover and significantly more when on boost ie driving so you assumption is correct you should be able to see 90/110kpa barometric sensor in live data,boost pressure sould be 95/110kpa engine running and greater than 115kpa with accelerator breifly actuated to full load stop, i can go through some test steps with you if you wish to narrow the fault down further pm me if you do Regards TB
Vivaro - 06 1.9 - Engine Stalling - DW electrics

It's here all u renault traffic, Vaughan van drivers.

The answer 2 the unsolved mystery.

After 6 weeks of pulling my hair out over my van constantly cutting out and

Only starting with a squirter of easy start, I found a garage that found the problem.

The saints r FIRST DIESEL located next 2 lumbar roundabout in Croydon.

I had read forum after forum, had my injectors checked at another garage, they were fine

Had fault codes read twice, with low fuel pressure.

Few garages said Cx pump, but had read that other people had gone down this road with no joy.

My answer was 1 , what is in forum, underneath your air box, the cables get damaged to then injectors, get them re soldered.

Second and most importantly which caused mine 2 cut out is a valve inside the common rail, that has no mention I Haynes manual.

I'm not talking about the pressure switch that is on the rail.

There is actually a valve inside it. Get this changed and hey presto. Causes it dumps the pressure and cuts the motor out and prevents it from starting by key.