What to Buy. - Tell
What should someone considering trading in a 10yr plus car under the governments £2k back scheme do?

I'm tempted by a new Kia Rio. I've checked HJ's comments and wonder if anyone has more detail?

I'm looking for a small car. Criteria are outright cheapness (Measured over, say, 10 years) & simplicity.

Is the Diesel Rio better then the petrol?

What else should be considered and why?
What to Buy. - perro
El Rio looks like a good car comrade, not unlike my 05 Almera .. you'd better road test the diesel & the petrol to get the full picture, if you don't cover many miles per annum you might be better orf with a petrol lump.
What to Buy. - diddy1234
I would say drive both the petrol version and the diesel.

If you cover enough miles per year then the diesel is certainly the one to go for.
Its cheap road tax (£35 a year) and cheap insurance (around £200 per year if you shop).
Just don't believe the 60mpg for the diesel.
I get around 50mpg.

The diesel really does motor well though.
I am surprised the boy racers haven't started getting these and modding them.
What to Buy. - Rattle
The boy racers always want a bit of history behind the marque, a Kia is probably the last car in the world which will get modded. I am with Jeremy Clarkson's school of thought on this one. Yes I know I am wrong, I know he is wrong but two negatives=plus.

What I am saying is Kia's are fine if you want a no image cheap to run car (I might even consider one day) but they will never be exciting for boy racers no matter how good the car is.
What to Buy. - perro
I've never been over-fond of the Kia range but they are certainly learning fast - have a look at the Kia Koup!
What to Buy. - MokkaMan
My mother bought a Kia Rio 1.4 manual Zapp new in 2006 (the Zapp is one of the special editions like the ICE for IIRC about £7,500 - I think it has gone up since then). I think the car offers a lot for the money (CD player with MP3 connection, electric front windows, aircon, 12v socket and I think it was 4* NCAP). She loves it and it has been her favourite car in decades. If you were to be critical, the interior is slightly low rent but serviceable and you have to remind yourself you are getting a Fiesta size vehicle with reasonable levels of kit for Ka money. Nothing has gone wrong with it in three years, which is impressive.

I have no experience of the 1.5 diesel but it alwa

I would have thought the Hyundai I20 would also be worth a look
What to Buy. - ifithelps
...What I am saying is Kia's are fine if you want a no image cheap to run car but they will never be exciting for boy racers no matter how good the car is....

I've just got two words to say to that: 'Citroen' and 'Saxo'.
What to Buy. - carl_a
'Citroen' and 'Saxo'.

Funny that I was thinking that same thing earlier