Avon Tyres Calling - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Just got a pair of Avon ZV5 tyres fitted to the front of my Hyundai by ATS. Pleasantly surprised (even as a Scot) to note they are made in England. I assumed all Avons were now made in Malaysia. Fully fitted price matched the online sites.
There was a warning notice, in the waiting room, about new tyres being preferably fitted on the rear- but nothing was mentioned to me.

Avon Tyres Calling - Marc
Great isn't it. Still made in Melksham. They are now owned by a US parent company - Cooper Tires.

Got them on the Galaxy - Nice tyres. Considering putting some on my Vectra when the current Goodyears expire.
Avon Tyres Calling - Lud
Great big Avon crossplies were standard fitting on the R Type Bentley. They weren't cheap but they were quiet, gripped and wore well and squealed very discreetly when pushed.
Avon Tyres Calling - Old Navy
New tyres on th front! You are doomed, you will slide backwards into the scenery at the first hint of Scottish mist. (thats rain for non residents) :)

Edited by Old Navy on 28/04/2009 at 16:58

Avon Tyres Calling - Pat L
I've found some on line for my Passat at about 75% of cost of other premium brands (eg Bridgestone, Contintal). Has anyone tried them on a Passat (215 55 16 97W)? My main priorities are long life and low noise.
Avon Tyres Calling - 659FBE
Sorry to put a damper on UK based Avon enthusiasm, but I have not found these tyres to be satisfactory.

Compared with offerings from the likes of Continental and Michelin, I have found these tyres to be low tech and mediocre in all respects - including carcass balance. I was dismayed to see large amounts of Pb (now Zn, I believe) fitted to these tyres when I did my customary "carpark" test. (Look at everyone else's first before you spend your own cash).

Not for me, I'm afraid, a good tyre starts with an accurately made carcass. Only then do you move on to the difficult high tech elements of the product - rubber compounds, reinforcement detail, water dispersal and noise for instance.

Avon Tyres Calling - alfalfa
Avons came second last in the Which tyre test April 2009, particularly poor in wet grip.

alfalfa
Avon Tyres Calling - the swiss tony
Avons came second last in the Which tyre test April 2009 particularly poor in wet
grip.

Well thats good!
as they have been fitted to the front, that means that the car will be stable in corners - no back end letting go first!
Avon Tyres Calling - Roly93
Sorry to put a damper on UK based Avon enthusiasm but I have not found
these tyres to be satisfactory.
Compared with offerings from the likes of Continental and Michelin I have found these tyres
to be low tech and mediocre in all respects - including carcass balance.

>>>
I wouldn't quite go this far, but I have had some ZV5's fitted to the front of my A4 for a couple of months now and have found them to be fairly average, and only satisfactory if you are not too fussy, and dont drive at all enthusiastically !

My main complaint is wet grip. Driving round the numerous high speed roundabouts on the A43 between Brackley and Nothampton, they under perform markedly compared to the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx that were on there before (and I didn't like them much).

I'm afraid it just seems that you need to spend a bit more money on a tyre which will probably not last so long if you want to get the grip back.
Avon Tyres Calling - Statistical outlier
I had Avons on my Xsara at one point. Really liked them, until I noticed that I was down to about 1 mm on the fronts in about 7k!! Michelins were lasting me about 25k.
659 - Have you run a set of Avons?

When I first bought Avons I read both mediocre and poor reviews on older Avon tyres but the latest ZV5s seem to get favourable reviews - particularly for grip. The tread pattern is certainly interesting in the way it disperses water.

Apparently TUV think they're OK too :

www.tirereview.com/default.aspx?type=wm&module=4&i...5

Edited by Marc on 28/04/2009 at 19:26

Avon Tyres Calling - scouseford
I'm afraid that my experience with Avon tyres has been appalling. Way back in the early 70's I was allocated a Hillman Avenger 1500 as my new company car. Believe it or not this was perceived to be a good career move as it was felt in the company for whom I worked that once you got a 4 door car you had really arrived! I was even more overjoyed when I discovered that my shiny new Avenger was fitted with Avon tyres which, at the time, were advertised as being exclusively fitted by Rolls Royce.

During the 2 years that I ran the Avenger (which turned out to be a very reliable motor) all 4 tyres punctured at different times. I am and always have been a careful driver and in a driving life of 47 years I have never suffered another puncture other than when a local toerag took a sharp implement to a tyre on a brand new Sierra in the mid eighties.

I'm afraid that Avon would be my last tyre of preference.
Avon Tyres Calling - alfalfa
I am not sure if tirereview tested the tyres or simply gave a trade review but the ZV5s were the ones that did poorly in the Which test and were also unimpressive in an ADAC test of Sommerreifen

alfalfa
Avon Tyres Calling - bell boy
when i was retailing tyres im afraid the avons were the most ugly ducklings of tyres ever made and were impossible to sell,im afraid that rubbed of on me and i wouldnt buy them either sorry avon
Avon Tyres Calling - Red Baron
I gather that they are not as bad as the Chinese ditchfinders. I am quite sure that most tyres are good most of the time and will do for most people in everyday driving. It's in the wet that the good tyres pay for themselves!!! Michelins past and present have tended to wear slowly...at the cost of good chracteristics in the wet.
Avon Tyres Calling - Hamsafar
I too was going to buy these new Avons because they are made in the UK.
The wet reviews I read put me off and so I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 2s which were made in Belgium.
Not many Avon fans here then?

I'll need 4 new tyres for the Passat in the next month or so and whilst I don't want anything cheap and nasty I was hoping for a good deal. I think I'll do what I normally do and make a few calls locally when I need the tyres replacing to see who's got special offers on.

I know I'm tempting fate by saying this but, talking about punctures, I can remember distinctly my last punture. It was in August 1990, driving back from holiday in Suffolk shortly after Iraq invaded Kuwait. I've had the occasional slow puncture, but no flat tyres for almost 19 years in a range of cars with all sorts of tyre brands.
Avon Tyres Calling - Old Navy
I think I'll do what I normally do and make a few calls locally when
I need the tyres replacing to see who's got special offers on.

My local Kwikfit had a buy 3 get one free sign outside today, I would bet the 3 will be at RRP or more.
"I gather that they are not as bad as the Chinese ditchfinders"

That's just an insult - they're not in the same league.

Starting to feel like I'm on a crusade here. A quick google reveals that people on both Alfa and Cupra forums are more than happy with the grip on ZV5s (wet or dry)
Avon Tyres Calling - quizman
Pat, if you are looking for tyres for your Passat I would recommend Pirelli P7s. I have just fitted a set on my Passat and am very pleased with them. They are 205/60/15 VR and were £70 each fully inclusive.

IMO Avon tyres are rubbish, how someone can call them a premium tyre I don't know.

I once went out with a girl who sold Avon cosmetics, she smelt terrible.
Thanks, quizman. How are they in term of noise? What tyres id they replace? I find the Dunlops sports currently fitted a bit noisy, but maybe other tyres could be worse?

Mine are 215/55/16 W97 so may cost more. I'll certainly get some prices on those P7s.

I've had P6000s on the Audi and was pleased with those.
Avon Tyres Calling - Statistical outlier
The P7s just did terribly in the Autocar annual tyre test. Have a read - is easy to find but I am not allowed to link from here.
Gordon M, yes I did read the test in Autocar. I could not understand why they put P7s so low. In a Which test they came out top. I have used them and think they are fantastic, a pal of mine who drives a Volvo has them and also likes them.

I wonder if Pirelli advertise much in Autocar, it always seems to make a difference!
The P7s do not seem noisy at all.
My car came on Dunlop 200Es when new, they were hopeless in the wet. I changed them for P7s and was very satisfied with them. Then I bought 4 Continental 2s which seemed very good, but after 8000 miles started to split all round at the bottom of the treads. I have returned them to the independent tyre place in Derby who have sent them back to Continental for an assessment.
I haven't posted about this problem before because I'm waiting to see what Continental will say. I hope that they will reimburse me for at least half of the cost of the tyres. But if they say that it is my fault or they all do that I will take the matter up with experts on this site. The man at the tyre firm did try to tell me the tyres were 2 years old and only lasted that long. I told him in no uncertain fashion what I thought of that and spoke to the boss, who was more sympathetic.
Of course I could not leave the car on bricks at the side of the road, so I bought the 4 P7s that I mentioned.

So that is 2 sets of P7s that I have had on my Passat and I thoroughly recommend them, they are a great tyre.
Avon Tyres Calling - Martin Devon
I once went out with a girl who sold Avon cosmetics she smelt terrible.

Do you know what happened to our Avon Lady??
Avon Tyres Calling - Martin Devon
My main priorities are long life and low noise.

That's mine too, but nowt to do with tyres.

M
Avon Tyres Calling - perro
>>> That's mine too, but nowt to do with tyres. <<<

(hehe!) Nice one squirrel.
Avon Tyres Calling - 1400ted
Great big Avon crossplies were standard fitting on the R Type Bentley. They weren't cheap
but they were quiet gripped and wore well and squealed very discreetly when pushed.

I've got them on the Jowett, Lud, ...not quite so big.
Avon HM tourist crossplys...525x16. She runs beautifully on them...strangely, they're marked Dunlop Gold Seal C41 on the other side......must be for owners who need originality !

Got 5 spares in the motor house as well...bit pricey now.

Ted
Avon Tyres Calling - V4 Heaven
There was a warning notice in the waiting room about new tyres being preferably fitted
on the rear- but nothing was mentioned to me.

Oh how I wish I know about this in 1990! I've only seen this regularly mentioned in the last few years and can now understand the reasons why. My tail out experience in my front wheel drive XR3 cost me dearly as I had new tyres on the front and barely legal ones on the back. That was the last time I crashed a car BTW! Lesson learned.
Avon Tyres Calling - Kevin
Don't wish to add to GWS and Marc's discomfort but my experience of Avon tyres, albeit a few years ago, wasn't exactly pleasant.

They were pretty good when new but positively scary after a few thousand miles.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=28...4

Kevin...
Avon Tyres Calling - Mick Snutz
I had Avons put on the front of my 406. I am not impressed by how quickly they've worn and the wife and I are not high mileage drivers.
I'll go for Uniroyals next time.
Avon Tyres Calling - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The Avons were fine and performed as well as the OE Kumhos. Sold car for other reasons before they wore out.
Avon Tyres Calling - Lud
They used to be a premium brand and pretty expensive. Big Avon crossplies were fitted as standard to Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars in the fifties, although they may not have been the only option. They were quiet and comfortable, with good wet grip, but squealed a bit in tight corners.

(Sorry. I seem to have said all this already, more briefly too. A young-scatterbrain moment no doubt).

Edited by Lud on 04/12/2009 at 14:10

Avon Tyres Calling - gordonbennet
My son had a set of Avon ZZ3's on his Subaru, he drives it hard and rates them very highly as do other Subaru drivers, considering the pounding they lasted well.

He has recently changed over to Toyo T1R's and reckons them not as good as the Avons.
Could be the car suitability, i have those Toyo's on my car for summer and find top class wet grip.

ISTR seeing Avons on DB series Astons too.
Avon Tyres Calling - fredthefifth
Based on previous discussion (I think here in the back room) where ZZ3's and SAAB's were considered a poor combination, but the newer Avon's were ok, I put ZV5's on my 9-5 Aero.

I have to admit that I do seem to be getting a bit more wheel spin than I used to even when on the move, but the 9-5 is a heavy car and 260bhp through the front wheels has to go somewhere. In the dry they have been fine, but in the wet I have to admit that for me at least, the jury is still out.

Anyway, apparently the 9-5 is only good in a straight line, so as long as I don't have to do any emergency braking.........................

FTF

Edited by fredthefifth on 05/12/2009 at 21:57

Avon Tyres Calling - R75
Slightly off topic, but I know the guy who used to be their sales director for many, many years until he retired. One of the nicest guys you would ever like to meet.
Avon Tyres Calling - Carl2
Got a pair of Avons on the front of the Focus. Not skilled enough to notice any difference in the handling but they definitely produce a lot more road noise. I actually hope they wear out prematurely so I can justify changing them.
Avon Tyres Calling - grumpyscot
I had Avons fitted to the front of the CRV instead of Bridgestones. Avon is much better - quieter, better grip in the wet, and don't seem to be wearing any faster. They were cheaper than the Bridgestones too

Edited by grumpyscot on 07/12/2009 at 07:46

Avon Tyres Calling - fredthefifth
Yunno I have never noticed different road noise. Maybe its just me but I have never ever driven a the same car after a tyre change and even thought about it, yet alone noticed it. Same with grip, don't tend to push cars that hard to notice.

Interesting the varying opinions in this thread!!

FTF
Avon Tyres Calling - The Melting Snowman
I've used Avons before and had no problems with them.

The comment higher up about carcass balancing - on many wheels the fitters put the weights on the insides so you would not necessarily know how much weight had been added unless you crawled underneath.

Ask Honest John

Value my car