05 1.6 key not unlocking immobiliser - wdave79
I am at my whits end with this problem. Ive had this Astra for 5 months and in the last 2 months 2 or 3 times the car has not started. After inserting the key and turning it twice, the engine light will flash. Pressing both pedals to bring up the error code displays ECN : 161450, fault with CID or transponder.

First of all the garage tried to blame my key, as it happens after another month of testing its happened with thier original key. The car is under extended warrenty now, so only the electrics / engine is covered.

Some googling of this error seems it is fairly common issue.

whats is doing my head in is its only happening maybe once every month I have a couple of questions

1. Will Evans Halshaw be able to pinpoint it? Considering it only happens 1/100 times.
2. Can anyone explain why its so intermitant. Could it be radio interfernce between the tranponder or something? I have no idea how it works.

Basically Im afriad of taking it back, and them fobbing me off.

Edited by Pugugly on 27/04/2009 at 11:03

05 1.6 key not unlocking immobiliser ecn 161450 - topbloke
common problem on the astra i am affraid, however there is a fix, you will need to take it to the main dealer and ask them to do field remedy 2115 basically its a software issue with the cim (command interface module ) which sits behind the steering wheel, the dealer will be aware of this issue, Regards TB
05 1.6 key not unlocking immobiliser ecn 161450 - wdave79
Thanks,

I imagined this was some kind of software issue.

I rang the garage this morning and its booked in for wensday.

I expresed my concerns on the phone that it only happened very intermitantly. They actually put me through to the workshop and admitted that its most likely the CIM cuasing the problem. However the said they would probably replace it. Taking 2 hours.

So far touch wood Evans Halshaw were actually quite helpful.

Thank you for the help so far.
Hit a big problem with the garage this morning.

I dropped in the car this morning, with the expectations or having this sorted. However they are giving me the run around.

They did find a possible solution but are now saying that the extended warrenty doesnt cover it. - I`ll do my best to explain what they said. Basically they said yes, it needs the software update however, software updates firmwares are not part of the warrenty by Autocare,

when returning to the desk they want

50 pounds diag fees
80 pounds for the software update

I went blue in the face at this, at this stage i mensioned I could be contacting the OFT.

They have knocked off the diag fees, but still need to pay the 80 for programming.

To make matters worse, there tech 2 machine is down, so now sat at home waiting for call
05 1.6 key not unlocking immobiliser ecn 161450 - piston power
Pay it £80.00 will be well spent when it works and you have no more problems.
Can I ask, should this firmware been applied to my car when it was sold to me?

Will pay the 80 pounds, grudgingly however I had lost all faith in Evans Halshaw.