97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - shaw
Hi, I'm taking our car for an MOT soon and as I know NOTHING about cars I know I am going to get ripped off.

Our foot brakes are really bad at the moment, the hand brake doesnt work well (unless you really wrench the thing up it rolls backwards) and we have a big crack in our front window screen.

Also, think the tracking might be a bit funny and one of our back wheels may have a slow puncture - it's definately in need of a fix.. and quick!!

Assuming nothing else goes wrong, what should I expect to be quoted to fix all of this stuff? I'm a bit nervous that it's going to be more than the car is actually worth!! Please help! - Thanks!
97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - bell boy
so the footbrake is poor
the handbrake is non existant
and the screen is dangerous
oh and you know a garage is going to rip you off

perhaps you deserve ripping off putting me and my family at risk with a dangerous car,i havent even mentioned the slow puncture

97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - Rattle
it really depends why the hand brake dosn't work, the teeth on the adjuster fail on these (had trouble with all our Fiestas) the only long term solution is to replace the adjuster which is what is goign to happen on my dads.

Poor foot brakes could be anything to needing new discs,pads, shoes etc or just a simple bleed, it may not even fail the MOT but that does not mean it dosn't need sorting.

I would put it in to an MOT and just see what happens then get quotes from there. This was the last of the MK3's so the build date is likely to be older than 97. Knowing 13 year old Fiestas there is likely to be hidden things wrong with it too like rust, brake pipes etc so just get an MOT test done and see what the results are, once you know for sure post back the results and people will help you with costs.

If it helps I had a poor MK3 1.1 the same as yours which needed a new engine, the brakes were also poor, passed the MOT for £90 including the certificate, the brakes were a very easy fix.

Either way there are lots of these cars getting scrapped and they will be rare in 2-3 years time.
97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Don't take it for test to any place that has an interest in failing it so that they get to do the work. The costs of getting thru the MOT could be quite a lot less than the fines you could face if the police stop you and check your car over! The brakes not be obvious to them but the cracked screen is!
97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - piston power
I take mine to the local indie he charges full wack approx £55.00 but he's not looking for work like the other garages who charge £25.00 like to fail it.

But your car is in need of the scrap yard or take it to be serviced & mot.
97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - DP
As a rule of thumb, a car of this age and value with a list like this, and no capability to DIY, or no "mate rate" labour is almost certainly going to cost more to get through the test than it's worth. When cars get to this value, it becomes more what it's worth to you than to the market. If it's a really clean car and reliable, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a write off. Only you can make the call.

Whether you have windscreen cover on your insurance will make a massive difference. Windscreens are not cheap, and have to be fitted professionally. Could be a £60 or so excess, could be £200 if you're not covered. I would bank on £150 for brakes, £35 for a tyre, plus the test fee, plus anything found you don't know about.

If you could do the work yourself, or had a handy mate, it would cost you less.
97 1.1 MOT costs - what should I expect?! - SpamCan61 {P}
>
perhaps you deserve ripping off putting me and my family at risk with a dangerous
car i havent even mentioned the slow puncture

>

Like he said, why on earth are you waiting until the MOT to get potentially lethal faults fixed ??????