Speedo digits ......... - robert
Hello all,

Has anyone got any hints for spotting clocked speedos? I looked at a car today which read 43333 - with the 3's all perfectly lined up but slightly below the 4. In taking it for a 12 mile test drive the resultant number had the 3345 all slightly below the leading 4!

I checked the service history and the car had been serviced @ 39204 miles - so the displayed milage was probably genuine. It is less than 3 years old, so no MOT's to veryify it. Is this anything to worry about?

Its a Vauxhall Omega BTW.

Any hints comments?

Regards ........ Robert
Speedo digits ......... - Dynamic Dave
It is less than 3 years old?
Its a Vauxhall Omega BTW

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're describing an analogue odometer? I thought all Omega's had digital odometers!!

The Omega has an electronic analogue speedo with mechanical odometer that is electronically driven also. There is no speedo cable - it uses the speed pulses from the ABS system.
Speedo digits ......... - Godfrey H {P}
If it doesn't feel right walk away. There are plenty of cars out there.
Speedo digits ......... - Cyd
The digits on an analogue trip don't always line up perfectly - particularly when its about to turn another 1,000 or 10,000. Look at the condition of the following areas:
1. carpet where RH heel rests
2. pedal rubbers
3. steering wheel
4. indicator stalk
5. light switches
6. remote control buttons
7. ignition key head
8. seat material
9. gear knob if manual
10. seat belt webbing & tongue

How does it drive - does it feel nearly new or like its done 143k hard miles?

Also check out the front end of the car looking for excessive stone chipping, or evidence the bonnet / bumper have been resprayed to hide stonechips.

Does the service history show ALL services from new or only the last one? Contact the garage which did most of the servicing. Are service receipts in the pack (but bear in mind that where cars are company owned, the company will have kept the receipts for company accounts).

If you're going to be the second owner, it would be reasonable to find the original purchase receipt in the service pack.

Ask for the previous owners name & address and contact them ASAP. If you have to write enclose a tick list questionaire and SAE to encourage them to return it.
Speedo digits ......... - T Lucas
Even if the mileage is 100% correct,run,run as fast as you can,its an Omega surely one of the worst cars you can buy.
Thanks for your subjective view. What do you drive as a matter of interest? maybe we can poke fun @ that!
Speedo digits ......... - Mark (RLBS)
I bought my wife an Omega Estate.

Excellent vehicle, does everything we need it to and trouble free. Nice to drive, powerful and quiet.

What do you drive Mr. lucas, that I ought to consider ?
Speedo digits ......... - svpworld
about time we had someone on this forum to talk about omegas!

:-)

What do you drive Mr. lucas, that I ought to consider
?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7399&m...e

;-D
I drive anything from the Land of the Rising Sun,currently a Toyota Hi-Lux Surf.All the Omegas ive had in recently have just had so many things wrong with them,ranging from electric windows,that dont,c/locking with a mind of its own,computer displays that dont,coolant leaks,oil leaks,clunky autos,a/c and air vents that dont work,and my very favorite this week a 97 2.5 CDX and the ignition key decided that it would not turn in the lock,3 hours of pppplaying around,managed to remove the barrel,throw away the tumblers,put it back together,and start the piece of,er, junk.Very high mileage 103,000.Lucky for me i sold it to a Russian for £1850.I have added them to the banned list,no more in p/x. Maybe the new ones are better,they couldnt get any worse.
Speedo digits ......... - Simon Templar

T.Lucas
That Omega sounds remarkably similar to the M-B C Class in terms of faults.
Simon T.
Speedo digits ......... - Dynamic Dave
pppplaying around

That's a nasty stutter your keyboard has there!!
Speedo digits ......... - PB
I assume this is from a non-franchised dealer. If so, and the car is legitimate it's highly likely the car has been bought at auction. Omegas are not popular cars at auction so you could do a lot worse than buy one direct and cut out the middleman. You will almost always get a warranted mileage at that age. Even if you pay an auction buyer to get one for you, you will still be buying effectively the same car more cheaply, and you can choose the colour and spec you want if you are not in too much of a hurry. There are 15 Omegas under 3 years/25k miles coming up at BCA very soon.
This is a private sale and the service history tallies with the reading.
Oh i forgot,July,02 2.5 V6 water mixing with oil on a ,98 with 56,000 miles and dealer service records,result 1 new head and too many hours of labour.I know what Elvis would have done if he had owned an Omega!