03 2.0 Knocking noise on braking - corblimeyguvnar
Hello again all, been away and now I am back, and surprise surprise the Pug is playing up.
Its the 307 2003 2.0hdi 90, 52k miles.
Couple of weeks ago ABS light came on, went off after a while so ignored it.
Now it has started coming on when I hit around 70mph, never at lower speeds. Always goes off again though on stop and restart.
Today, on braking started to feel a little bit of knocking, progressivly got worse, definite knock, clunk, knock on braking, brakes appear to be working as well as they always did though.
Any ideas, could this be a problem with the ABS, if so any ideas what and how much the darn Pug is going to cost me this time.
It has had new rear pads recently, fronts are fine for thousands more miles, had a full service a week or so ago and nothing out of the ordinary found then.
Cheers and look forward to the replies, especially if they are non expensive.

Corblimey....
03 2.0 Knocking noise on braking - scottieav
Hello, I just had what sounds like the same problem as you. First, I bought a manuel from Haynes for my 307 1.6 petrol. I had a look at that but it wasn't specific. So I went to the dealer. They said it was an ABS sensor in the back two wheels. It cost me £138 to get the sensors "cleaned." Knowing now what it was I will do it myself next time. It look very simple. Give it a try.
scottieav
03 2.0 Knocking noise on braking - corblimeyguvnar
You could well be correct, thanks for the info.
Couldnt stand the noise so took it to my usual independant, fault code was sensor on back wheel, but they reckoned the wheel bearing was causing sensor to 'trip', cost me £140 for a new bearing to be fitted.
Now I have just got to find a road where I can get the motor to 70mph to see whether the ABS fault kicks in again, if it does its back to the garage for a free fix this time.
Apparantly the knocking sound is actualy the ABS doing what it is supposed to, it realy does sound quite harsh though, not at all what I expected. Sounded like something was seriously amiss.

Cheers
Corblimeyguvnar