Rover 214 Steering. - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi,

I've had a Rover 214SEi for the last 3 years, I've taken the mileage from 35k to 82k with no real problems to speak of. It's passed all three MOT's I've put it through without any problems.

However...

Soon after buying the car I noticed a rumbling sound when cornering gently at around 30-40mph. Any faster and the noise isn't heard (possibly because it's drowned out by road noise). I assumed it was a bearing on the way out and left it at that until it needed replacing. It never got any worse and is still evident now.

In addition to this the steering has never been quite right, after cornering the steering will almost straighten out by letting the wheel slip beneath my hand, but not completely - it's possible to travel around gentle bends by positioning the wheel accordingly and letting go (that's not my normal style of driving - honest!).

Can anyone explain a possible source of a rumble and/or the steering 'feature' that would remain for 47k miles without getting worse?

Coupled with the steering issue, I'm thinking along the lines of CV's joints? Other than that I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Rover 214 Steering. - Dorian
Knackered CV joints should make a clicking noise, not a rumbling. I too own a Rover (416) and this has started to make a light thumping noise when cornering whilst braking (i.e. around a roundabout).

I think my problem is the suspension bush at the top of the shock absorber.

You're problem might be with the steering ball-joint link to the front wheel. If I were you, get an independant garage to check it out (a Rover garage will just set some YTS punk onto the problem and will probably give you big bills for the priviledge).
Rover 214 Steering. - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi,

I'm fairly sure the track rod ends (if that's what you mean) are quite free. I will check when I get home and let you however.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Rover 214 Steering. - Armitage Shanks{P}
An old test for CV joints used to be to put steering on full lock and drive very slowly listening for a clicking noise; if heard this would indicate wear in the CV joints. They can quickly be ruined by the ingress of water and road dirt (which make a good grinding paste!) in thru any crack or split in the rubber gaiter