Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - Alby Back
I really must get around to selling one of my cars. Still not 100% sure which one but I really should get one of them away.

Can't be bothered with a private sale so faced with the options of touting cars round dealers, going to one of those "we buy your car for a pittance" outfits or maybe auction.

In the scheme of things I'm not too bothered about getting top dollar but I don't want to give the car away either.

I know suresell has worked for some people and HJ has recommended them in the past.

Anyone with other suggestions or indeed confirmation that one of these is the line of least resistance?

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 18/04/2009 at 11:25

Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - ifithelps
Humph,

Suresell is a private entry into an auction.

I've heard better reports of: www.webuyanycar.com.

They seem to stick to their web-based valuations, which are basic trade.

Certainly worth entering the details of your chosen steed into the site.

If the price that pops up on the screen is acceptable, you can reasonably sure that is what you will get.

I think they are part of Carcraft, and you will be told to take the car to your nearest branch to do the deal.

Carcraft wouldn't be my first choice of dealer for buying a car, and no doubt they will try and sell you something, so you will probably need to be politely insistent you just wish to sell.

Edited by Honestjohn on 18/04/2009 at 20:11

Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - FocusDriver
Since your instructions were so clear and confidently put IIH, I entered my car's details and it returned the magic sum of £1,165 for my 10 year old Focus (which has just sailed through it's annual service without any work needing doing). The luxury lifestyle I secretly hanker after is within reach.

Both webuyanycar and sure-sell have great websites. I'm an experienced web developer and putting aside design, these sites are built, sensibly, for the casual visitor to garner all the information they need in a few minutes. Very clever and also unfortunately rare! Good for them.

I've never sold a car privately but watching one of my work colleagues twice walking back through the office door with amazing wads of cash for very poor cars listed on Ebay/Gumtree shows me that private isn't always painful. Still, the pitfalls are evident and commonly reported and I don't want some goon with a comb-over on my doorstep thanks.

Still, having also just looked at sure-sell's site and the £229 they'd charge me, in conjunction with HJ's reasons why he recommends them (which make good sense), I'm not sure as to which one to use. And I think choice is a good thing.

Very interesting and informative thread. Thanks.
Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - I'm a Pane
Second vote for webuyanycar.com. In my case a very painless experience, and although they use space within Carcraft certainly at the Enfield branch there did not appear to be any direct link between the two - ie no one standing there going "hello sir I see you now have a big wodge of money to spend on a new car can I show you some of ours?"!! after selling to webuyanycar.
Online quote system is very straight forward as well - just be honest as to the condition of your car and I don't think you will be too disappointed at the price offered.
OK thanks guys, will see if I can work up to a decision soon. I notice the suresell thing gets a "hat" award though.
Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - gordonbennet
Sounds like some folk have had fair results using the alternative buyer referred to.

I don't blame you at all Humph, i thought about selling my much loved MB recently and i really don't want to put myself through the ordeal of 'trial by idiot' that selling a car privately seems to be.

The MB badge even as old as mine for some reason attracts a certain type who goes through the motor thoroughly (quite rightly), gives it an extended test drive and then casually announces that it isn't for them (usually 3 or 4 of em) but their wife's cousin who is abroad at the moment...aaagh!
Not forgetting of course that they have been offered the top of the range model 2 years newer with half the miles for 2 grand less, but wanted my downmarket (apparently the chav types refer to them as poverty spec) overpriced high mileage ancient example instead...

I'm fortunate in that swmbo takes no prisoners and only the most determined, or too daft to realise can get past her phone attitude, she weeds the worst out.

The car you want to sell will no doubt attract its very own type of timewasting idiot, if you do go down the private sale route for the masochistic pleasures it involves do let us know what manner of timewasters to look out for..;)

Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - stan10
>>> Suresell is no more than a private entry into an auction. <<<

I agree, and not for me, i think, but ...

They are probably "HAT" recommended because they are efficient and honest, and to be fair, they don't claim to be cheap, or even "sure" if you read their website. What they will do is allow you to avoid direct contact with the buyer, and minimise the "hassle" (some people enjoy the experience!) of disposing of your car, which ticks at least one of your boxes. They will help with the reserve price too, which may help you decide.

Edited by Honestjohn on 18/04/2009 at 20:12

Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - pd
Suresell is just BCA's name for a private entry. If Manheim or an independent happen to be nearer then use them instead (in fact you'll probably get a much better deal from an independent commission and entry wise but possibly less bid interest).

I'd agree MB's and BMW's are a pain to sell privately (or professionally). They seem to attract certain types......I avoid if possible. Audi's are getting as bad.
Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - frazerjp
Last year I sold my MG ZR via sure-sell, it didn't quite sell for the price I wanted it to, but at least it wasn't as painfull as selling it privately with as many phonecalls.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Good food for thought.

I must confess, I am tempted to try the suresell / auction route if only for the fun of it. This is potentially going to sound awful but given the low to lowish value of all my cars I really don't "need" the money or best price. It's more about space and cleaning up my drive really. The gamble element of the auction appeals a bit. If it goes against me, so be it, but if it goes OK, or well, then great.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 18/04/2009 at 21:38

Is suresell still a good plan? Any views? - BB
Which car are you thinking of selling Mr Backbridge?
Well, with my genuine apologies to those who have read my posts on this subject and its related stories before. I politely suggest you nip off to another thread before you lose the will to live !

I/we have three cars. I cover approximately 40k a year in the course of running my wee business. I need a large to larger estate type car. My wife has recently returned to full time work and is / will be covering about 12k a year. The size and type of car she has is of no consequence to her. She is happy with large or small vehicles.

Car 1/ Is my faithful old 51 plate Mondeo Ghia X Diesel Estate. It has been quite the most reliable car I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Never a moment's bother in all the time I've had it but it is now getting on in miles at very nearly 160k.

Car 2/ Is a 53 Vauxhall Signum 2.2 petrol Direct Design. Bought last Summer with 33k and now has 55k on it. Also a pleasing car but for some reason I still slightly favour the Mondeo for comfort and loadspace. The Signum does, however, have an intoxicatingly smooth engine and despite being a petrol costs much the same per mile in fuel terms as the Mondeo. It was bought with the intention of it being the replacement for the Mondeo but I haven't yet got around to selling the Ford.

Car 3/ Is a Ka we bought new exactly five years ago. It has only covered 21k but if my wife continues to use it as her daily driver its annual average mileage will proportionately increase.

We have been round and round the subject of which are the two most "keepable" but the obvious answer keeps being baulked by the usefulness of the old Mondeo. It just seems to win despite the evidence, so to speak.

If asked to decide here and now I might sell the Vauxhall. I could of course be persuaded otherwise.........

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 18/04/2009 at 22:15