07 118i auto stop start engine - doubting thomas
Is anyone having problems with their BMW auto stop start engine. Mine keeps cutting itself back in after 47-90 seconds - not even getting me through most sets of traffic lights, let alone a traffic jam. The engine worked perfectly throughout the winter months, but has again started cutting itself back in. I have now identified that when the outside temperature is above 9.5º and the air conditioning is turned on (it has been at 20-22º since I purchased the vehicle, even during the winter when the car functioned correctly). I have this week been out with the service manager who has now told me I need to turn the air conditioning off completely in order for the engine to function correclty!. BMW are due to test the vehicle again next month. In the meantime this vehicle is driving me insane .
07 118i auto stop start engine - Hamsafar
Sounds like a perfectly plausible answer.
Why is this making you angry? I would like one of these cars, so interesting to here feedback.
The car is advertised as 'the automatic start/stop function helps you to save fuel and reduce emisions. To do so the system automatically switches the engine off while the vehicle is stationary such as in a traffic jam or at traffic lights. As soon as you depress the clutch, the engine starts automatically'.

Therefore, turning off the air con everytime I put the car in neutral makes paying for the air con a waste of money. Also when the engine starts itself (without my help) it cuts in more noisily. Even my friends pass comment when the engine starts itself. It really is quite embarrassing and not what the car is advertised as doing.

Today when I iwas out the settings were all the same as yesterday EXCEPT the outside temperature was only 9º and after 15 minutes I got fed up and started the engine myself!

07 118i auto stop start engine - Hamsafar
Thanks, for getting back, but how else is the air-conditioning supposed to work? Maybe they should change the software so that airconditioning demand is not sufficient to force a start.. I think it is more noisy when it starts as it has a special starter motor mounted in the crank-pulley which also drives/assists the car so that you don't have to wait so long when setting off.

You should contact BMW GB and hopefully they will feedback to Germany and a new firmware will be released 'due to customer feedback'.
Thanks for your reply. The air conditioning yesterday and today were set the same; yeserday the engine was cutting in after 1 minute (warmer outside temperature) today after 15 minutes (only 9º) the engine had still not cut in at all. Today also the headlights (automatic turn on) and CD were also on, which were not yesterday.

My feeling is that there is a faulty sensor attached to the air conditioning, but the dealership are not having that at the moment.

Have been in touch with BMW, who are sending someone out in May. Will try and keep you posted.

07 118i auto stop start engine - Pugugly
Our office Honda IMA hybrid exhibits similar tendencies when the Air Con is on cold - behaves in winter. Think its a power thing - needs poke from the engine to work.
07 118i auto stop start engine - doctorchris
If the engine is not turning over then the a/c pump is not working, therefore the a/c is not working.
Therefore, if the outside temp is above a certain level the climate control sensors will want a/c to operate and will fire the engine up to ensure this is so.
Thanks. Yesterday the outside temperature was 12º, air con 20º no other electrics turned on and enging kept cutting in. Today outside temp 9º. air con 20º, headlights on CD on, engine performed OK.

Also in the handbook, it says that when the engine has cut out (as it should) the air con reduces, as does the window wipers (if working) to avoid draining the battery.

If as you say is correct, how can BMW get away with advertising a car with automatic stop/start and what they claim it does, when you have to turn off your air con every time you put the car in neutral, even at traffic lights.

I have spoken to BMW technical services, who tell me this should not be happening. I am just so confused. This feature is really spoiling the car for me.

Any other thoughts?
07 118i auto stop start engine - schneip
Any other thoughts?

I had a courtesy Mini Clubman Cooper D whilst my 3 series had a new windscreen fitted and couldn't get on with this feature so ended up hitting the button to disable it (no problem with the air con, just me being a little old fashioned perhaps).

I'd recommend simply hitting the same button on your 1-Series (I'm assuming you'll have one) until they find a solution for you; should get rid of the irritation until they can get it fixed. On the plus side, from your last post it seems BMW are being pro-active in trying to sort this, rather than trying to fob you off :)
07 118i auto stop start engine - Bill Payer
Any other thoughts?

If the outside temperature is 9º or 12º then you don't need the a/c on. Turning it off will save some fuel (some, including me, sat hardly any - but it must make some difference).

If the stop/start system is annoying you then turn that off. In the great scheme of things it's hard to imagine it makes much difference. I believe it's mainly designed to help produce the best possible figures in the Government emissions tests.
07 118i auto stop start engine - Joffjofferson

The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.
The Auto Start Stop function is coordinated by a central control unit that monitors data from all relevant sensors, the starter motor and the alternator. If necessary for comfort or safety, the control unit will automatically restart the engine: for example, if the vehicle begins to roll, the battery charge falls too low or condensation forms on the windscreen.
Furthermore, the system also recognises the difference between a temporary stop and the end of the trip. It will not restart the engine if driver's seatbelt is undone, or if the door or bonnet is open. If desired, the Auto Start Stop function can be completely deactivated with the press of a button.
When used consistently, the Auto Start Stop function delivers significant reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/mm_auto_start_stop_function.html

07 118i auto stop start engine - TTToommy

I always keep the air con on whatever the weather - it cleans and dehumidifies the air.

I often see cars in pouring rain or in the middle of winter all steamed up and cannot but help but think what idiots - TURN THE Air Con ON and soert out your visibility issues - Its dangerous

07 118i auto stop start engine - TeeCee

>but how else is the air-conditioning supposed to work?

With an electric airco pump, as seen on the Toyota hybrids for precisely this reason. They've also gone to an electric water pump in the latest incarnations so that the need to maintain heater matrix temperature in the winter doesn't force it to start the engine. Bit of an oversight from BMW in this area.

07 118i auto stop start engine - madf

Waht is the problem?

Yu want aircon on ? The engine neneds to run..

If you were serious about saving fuel - the reason for stop start- you would not use aircon in winter...