VAG DSG reliability - brum
I'm on the verge of buying a Skoda Octavia with 1.4Tsi/DSG combination. However seataltea through me a wobbly when he posted elsewhere that his DSG had been a disaster.

Any real life observations of DSG reliabilty?

I know its too early to build a clear picture of the new 7 speed dry clutch version.

Does anyone know if there is any scheduled servicing required - e.g. fluid change for the 7 speed box? And looking at a diagram of the box - it looks as if the clutch pack is replaceable - anyone know for sure?

I'm looking to run it for 150,000 miles without doing anything to it. Is that reasonable?
VAG DSG reliability - daveyjp
No fluid changes as the 7 speed is a dry clutch.

I'm also considering the Octavia 1.4TSi with DSG, the fact it is a DSG isn't putting me off, but I know it won't be mine outside of warranty so any problems are for the dealer to sort.

I've had two DSG A3s - first one faultless, this current one has had a new mechatronic unit under warranty - £1,000 for the part, which according to a phone call I overheard is about the same as a clutch and DMF for an A4 2.0TDi manual.

Edited by daveyjp on 14/04/2009 at 13:04

VAG DSG reliability - IanJohnson
I don't suppose I will be in a minority on here by saying you are being brave in expecting to run a DSG car to 150k without expecting a large repair bill.

Fine in warranty but out of warranty I would stick to a manual.
VAG DSG reliability - Altea Ego
£1 000 for the part which according to a
phone call I overheard is about the same as a clutch and DMF for an
A4 2.0TDi manual.

the point being tho that as the the 1.4 tsi does not have a dmf, you could probably make its clutch and manual gearbox last 100k miles with some mechanical sympathy. 150k with only a clutch change,

Dont think the DSG has proved itself that far. As you say tho, keep it for three years and punt it - someone else problem.