98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - PBB
The trusty 1998 petrol 406 estate has just passed 100,000 miles.

It does not burn any oil, the auto box is perfect, it tracks, steers and brakes fine, it still even sounds crisp when accelerating

Apart from a bit of piston slap in the very cold weather a couple of months ago, and some electrical accessories not working, it could mechanically pass for new

Which brings me to my point. There's nothing as reliable as a modern car? 20-30 years ago, few cars would reach 100k without at least a top-end de-coke and/or rebuild.

What do you think? I'd be interested in other's experences of their cars at 100k and more.

I am aware there is a separate topic for the proposed scrappage scheme - this car would qualify for that!

Edited by Pugugly on 13/04/2009 at 12:16

98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Pugugly
The last car I drove with 100k + on it was an office hack Cavalier 2.0SRi - everything worked on it and I saw it recently.

My old E46 BMW 330d was here yesterday now with 120k up - it drives well so I'm told, nothing has ever broken on it. Had some new suspension components recently otherwise it looks pristine inside and out. (oh it has a broken First Aid lid)
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - madux
My '95 Volvo is the same - Solid as a rock, no corrosion whatsoever, but minor electrical things failing. I dare not open the sunroof as it does not always close again and the heated seats are intermittent.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Robin Reliant
My '96 Mondeo 1.8 diesel has 145k on the clock and the engine still pulls like a train. Like previous posters it is minor electrical things which are packing up, only a few elements on the heated front screen now work and the alarm packed up years ago. Unfortunately Augusts MoT will probably see it's demise because of rust and a cambelt change due soon after, which will make any repairs uneconomical.

I've had it for five years this month (72k when I bought it) and have just started taking an interest in used car prices again with a replacement in mind.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - smokescreen
Took a 306 dt to 181k miles, would have took it to 200 if some idiot didnt drive into the side of it! Other than wear and tear, not much went wrong with it. Those xud turbo engines are indestructable with a little care.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Zub
115k on my 03 Passat TDI 4Motion and everything works great. Getting 46mpg average and currently putting 800 miles a week on it.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - DP
144k on my 2001 Volvo S60 2.0T. Starts on the key every morning, goes like stink, sounds sweet and smooth, does mid 30's mpg and everything still works. Cruise control, electric sunroof, air-con, electric mirrors etc all still works as it did when it left the factory. MOT emissions are still comfortably within limits.

Faults? The cover on the centre console cubby has fallen off (after being loose and floppy for months), and there's a single creak from the passenger side of the dash which comes and goes, and there's the first signs of wear on the drivers seat squab and wheel, but really, it's all there and working as it should. Hasn't missed a beat in the 18k I've put on it either.

Oh, and still running on its original battery, and exhaust! The only non-original parts on the car apart from consumables and service items are the clutch, the alternator (actually broken by the Volvo dealer at service time and fully reimbursed by them) and the top engine mount.

98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - jc2
Three cars I have owned recently have all gone past 150,000 with no serious concerns.Two Ford and one Fiat.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Vansboy
My 1997 Omega 2.5 CDX estate, now on 157,000miles, has all the toys working except the sunroof, which I broke using it to carry some skirting board! All original paint & looks smart, too! Runs really smoothly.

However, it appears the heater matrix has failed, as it has a pool of coolant underneath & it took 2litres to refill the system!!!

Plus I managed to cut the front lawn last week & throw a stone into the smallest side window, which has shattered, but not yet fallen out (neatly taped up).

So it looks like it'll be an e-bay bargain, in next few weeks.

Just have to decide what to get next!

VB

Edited by Vansboy on 13/04/2009 at 14:18

98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - lucklesspedestrian
Our 1997 Toyota Camry 2.2L manual has now clocked up 135K.

There's a bit of a rattle from the rear sway bar (I think) over uneven city roads and there's some wear to the centre armrest.

Apart from that, sweet as a nut and even polished up nicely over the weekend in its deep metallic red.

Not sure that even a 2K government sweetner could persuade me to part with it!

Steve

......sorry, just remembered, in the interests of honesty, a rear number plate bulb went a couple of months back!
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Zub
In a nice ironic twist, I had my first problem with my car only a few hours after posting that I had no problems with it! The MAF sensor went so whilst it was inconvenient being overtaken by Nissan Micras towing caravans on the motorway it was easily fixed.
Since posting this comment, I have actually noticed a small bubble of rust on the bootlid of the Volvo while washing it. Shock horror!! To go with the various scrapes and dinks the car picks up with its regular stays in public car parks. One rear door now has a vicious parking dent, all four bumper corners are scuffed, there are scratches on both sides where people have brushed against the car.

This is the primary reason I run a £2.5k car, not a £20k one. So things like this genuinely don't upset me. My Mondeo got battered to hell in station car parks. This is going the same way.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - barney100
100,000 miles is nothing these days. Look at the Volvo high mileage list, The starship Enterprise can't match some of those guys. I bought a 740 estate with 160k on the clock and ran it for a few years. Even a million miles is not unknown, the Mercedes on Tenerife and the Saint type volvo in New York are examples. I'm on 108k and don't consider it run in.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - ma
159 K on my passat 1.8t estate (99V) and 161k on SWMBO Galaxy (02 51) Passat had a clutch and MAF, Galaxy had alternator and exhaust back box. No plans to change either!
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Bagpuss
My last company 530d covered 150,000km in 3 years which is 93,000 miles. No trips to the dealer outside of regular maintenance and the only giveaway was the stone chips around the grill and leading edge of the bonnet.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Roger Jones
I have one MB with 145k and another with 180k, both as solid as a rock. Like my long-gone Audi 100, I regard them as half-million-mile cars. With good servicing and due respect for the importance of fresh fluids, I reckon most cars could get to several hundred thousand miles without serious trouble. Trouble is, most people neither know nor care, being fully paid-up subscribers to the idiotic throw-away culture that surrounds us.
With good servicing
and due respect for the importance of fresh fluids I reckon most cars could get
to several hundred thousand miles without serious trouble. Trouble is most people neither know nor
care being fully paid-up subscribers to the idiotic throw-away culture that surrounds us.

I could not agree more. The only low mileage cars I've ever had have been company owned. For my own purchases, I always take advantage of the mileage-phobic used car prices, and maintain my cars at least to manufacturer schedule, if not slightly more frequently. In my entire driving career, I have been left stranded at the roadside three times. Twice in Fords, running out of fuel when the gauge indicated otherwise, and once, recently, in a 60,000 mile Renault when the clutch slave cylinder exploded without warning. I've done (and continue to do) long commutes, 5 days a week, in 140-200,000 mile cars, and they've always got me there without a hiccup.

Modern cars actively discourage any interest in their workings. Engines buried under "no user serviceable parts inside" plastic covers, long service intervals, and deliberately designed to discourage non dealer servicing and repairs. Very much an out of sight, out of mind approach to the oily bits.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - SpamCan61 {P}
Well my lovely green Vectra clocked up the 160K last week; worn suspension bushes; will get fixed if nothing else fails at next MOT, generally handling getting wallowy, climate control doesn't go cold anymore, intermittant crank sensor causing EML to come on, but still drives fine and gives good economy. Interior still like new, apart from leather steering wheel cover; no rattles. I'm reasonably happy with that state of affairs at this mileage - unless we have a heatwave...
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Alby Back
Hi SpamCan, re your aircon, if it isn't economically fixable, get one of those beaded seat cover wotsits we used to use. I lived in Italy in the early '80s when of course AC was a rarity. The beaded thingies really work to keep some fresh air around your back.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - SpamCan61 {P}
Sounds like a cheaper option than a regas HB!;and I suspect the aircon issues are beyond a regas.
98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - reevsie
Hey PBB , your 406 will have a lot left in it! My 406 bought 4 years ago bought for £750 with 100k on it has just passed the 160k mark. Been a very good car, I dare not change it for something newer because it has been very reliable although I do keep a look out for a decent v6 version though! Like most posters here, frequent servicing is key, my car had one previous owner therefore less likely to skimp on servicing if kept long term.
Thanks for all your responses - very encouraging.

Having read some horror stories elsewhere, I'm determined to hang on to it.

Edited by PBB on 05/05/2009 at 23:47

Well nearly a year later and with only another 7k miles added to the 100k, our trusty 406 decided to unexpectedly break a front coil spring, just as we were setting off for holiday last week (3 adults, 2 kids, luggage - might be the cause!). I had no idea what the bang from the front of the car was, but local garage helpful as ever, enabling us to continue to our holiday destination same day.

Apart from that, just a couple of brake hoses for it's last MOT, and a minor service and it's still running well.

I don't seem to be doing many miles these days, at 7k a year it's going to take another 10+ years to hit some of the more mature mileages quoted on this post!

Interestingly, the garage advised that they change at least one coil spring week, all manufacturers. I suspect that potholes/road bumps may be a factor

98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - Avant

Good to hear of a French car giving reliable service. They can if - as in your case I'm sure - they're well looked after and regularly serviced. I had seven reliable Renaults in a row in the 1980s and 1990s.

I think many of the horror stories we hear are of cars whose previous owners have abused them in some way. French cars aren't bad cars: but they are perhaps more vulnerable to abuse and neglect than, say, Japanese machinery.

Have a look at the 'slapping pistons' thread - Oilrag and others make this same point much more eloquently than I can!

Edited by Avant on 03/04/2010 at 12:49

I've always found French cars to be mechanically tough, and incredibly rust resistant - more so than the Germans, in fact. The roads are full of mid 90's Pugs and Citroens without a speck of visible rust on them. The principle problem, to my mind,is that the French manufacturers seem very quick (too quick??) to adopt new technology. The canbus wiring on the phase 2 406, for example which was a disaster. The first gen common rail diesels, which had a multitude of issues. The EOLYS / FAP setup in the early noughties. All seem to introduce unproven and immature technology onto fundamentally sound designs, and introduce problems for owners. The older stuff built before this all came about goes on and on.

The difference in reliability between a fleet of 20 second gen 406's, and the 20 first gen ones they replaced at a previous employer was so great, it was impossible to believe they were from the same manufacturers. The originals all racked up 100k+ with only minor issues. All the second gen's were immobilised at some point with multiplex wiring faults and first-gen HDI "issues". Neither technology existed on the earlier cars.

My biggest issue with our last French car, a 2004 Scenic, was the cost of repairs when it did go wrong. Nothing was accessible or easy to do, and the parts prices were astronomical. I don't expect to pay £1,000 (at an indie!) for a new clutch on a family wagon, for example, or to change a complete £250 window regulator, for the sake of a tiny piece of broken plastic. As for the hideously complex electronics, well they had a mind of their own, and the only place able to make any sense of them at all was a £100 p/h Renault dealer.

I don't believe many Scenic II's will ever get old. One fault in the right place when they get to about £2,000 in value, and it's scrap.

The older Peugeots, like the op's, were fabulous cars. I've had a couple of late 90's 306s which were also tough and great to drive. Cheap to fix, easy to work on, reliable in the first place.

double post

Edited by DP on 03/04/2010 at 14:46

98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - 406HDIexecutive

I have always bought cars with the peugeot diesel and they have been great. I have had a few BX's which i bought cheap most when i got them had 300k on the clock and i drove them for a while they worked perfect and sold them on. The 505 was the most reliable car i had i bought it with 150k miles on it back in 1991 and today i still have it going for the occasional drive its got 270k miles now, it was well serviced, and all i spent on it was to put new door seals in it because they looked shabby. I recently bought a 2002 406 executive with 90,000miles an ex fleet car and not a problem at all.

98 petrol @ 100k miles still perfect -how's yours - primeradriver

I have to confess to being reluctant to replace my 255K, 1.8 petrol Primera, because of some of the scare stories with newer machinery. It's had a few bits wear out, and it's shabby now due to car park skirmishes (bumpers are decidedly untidy now) but it's not let me down in 5 years/80K miles.

Even the second car, a near-13 year old Daewoo with 65K on the clock has proven its worth. The mechanicals on this old bus are the usual GM reliable, but some of the electrics (window winder, ABS sensor, central locking) have given trouble. I'd still trust it 100% to get me from one end of the country to the other and back with no fuss.

Thing with these cars is that they're both pretty simple things. When something goes wrong it doesn't flummox the indie mechanic, and the car is back on the road without much fuss.