Does any auto gearbox last the life of the car? - Xpat
I want to go for an automatic gearbox when I buy my next car, but I read a lot about them giving problems. Are any cars renowned for trouble-free auto boxes? I am looking at the new C5. According to HJ's report on the previous C5, the auto gave all sorts of problems. What about the Avensis or Accord autos?
Does any auto gearbox last the life of the car? - OldSock
Well, the auto box in my Volvo S80 is still functioning perfectly after ten years and 153k miles - on its original fluid (sealed for life, as they say).

It's an Aisin-Warner 5-speed, BTW.
Does any auto gearbox last the life of the car? - TheOilBurner
Funny that you should say that OldSock, because the general consensus on the owner's club is that they should have the fluid changed at least once every 80-100k if not more often.

Still, if it ain't broke..
Does any auto gearbox last the life of the car? - CJay{P}
Generally speaking, on non-turbo cars, the box will last the life of the car. You can more or less ensure that this will happen by ensuring that oil and filters are changed every 60-80k intervals.

On high hp, high torque cars box life is unpredictable. I know of a number of BMW 530Ds that have passed 200k miles with no maintenance whatsoever. I also know a large number of 330Ds and 530Ds that have had their boxes 'go' between 80-120k miles. Regular oil changes are very rare in the UK, while very common at 60k intervals in North America.