03 2.5 Flat Battery how to get into boot? - pmh2
Friend has come to start his 525 Diesel, which has been standing for several months and the battery is flat. It is parked 'nose in' a very confined space and the key linkage on the boot appears to be non mechanical (ie boot lid will not release on key action ). Jump leads are not long enough to reach positive terminal under the bonnet at front of car. PS Battery is in boot.

Questions
1 is he correct in assumption that key operated boot release is electric?

2 can you charge the battery (slowly!) with a cigarette lighter charger? ie is socket always on? or do you need ignition to be in aux (or similar) position?

3 I have warned him about jump starting modern generation cars ( he is old school), any special advice on this model?

p

Edited by Pugugly on 11/04/2009 at 19:40

03 2.5 Flat Battery how to get into boot? - Pugugly
Have you got the manual ?

On the E46 there are jump starting points under the bonnet. I would imagine that the E39s are the same.
PU unlike you not read the post! ;)

>>Jump leads are not long enough to reach positive terminal under the bonnet at front of car.<<

Difficult to get at front where parked. I think it is also on a slope 'in'.

p
03 2.5 Flat Battery how to get into boot? - Simon
The easy answer is to get some longer jump leads or a portable jump start pack.

Does he not have any breakdown cover that he can use?

Edited by Simon on 11/04/2009 at 19:53

That'll learn me for speed-reading. I seem to recall a "flat battery" procedure for opening the boot ?
03 2.5 Flat Battery how to get into boot? - Alby Back
I seem to recall a "flat battery" procedure for opening the boot ?

Cold chisel and a lump hammer should do it.

But seriously I'd try the cig lighter route.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/04/2009 at 20:15

I would have thought that there is a way of opening the boot with the key when the battery is flat. Maybe there is a knack to making the key operate the lock manually.
>>I would have thought that there is a way of opening the boot with the key when the battery is flat>>

I would have thought so, I have found web postings for other BMWs but cannot find anything for E39 - hence question!

p
03 2.5 Flat Battery how to get into boot? - Hamsafar
Extend or substitute the jump leads for any wire, even bell or telephone wire just to power the central locking or to slow charge, it will be fine. Don't try to start the car though, or the thin wire will shed it's insulation!

Edited by Hamsafar on 11/04/2009 at 20:58

Have you tried being a bit more brutal with the key in the boot - I mean maybe you have to turn it further than you think you would in order to manually cluck the lock open. Don't go and force something and break the key off, but just feel to see if the key will turn some more.
03 2.5 Flat Battery how to get into boot? - Peter D
The bell wire route is going to end in tears unless you restrict the current. The Battery is totally flat so the initial inrush current would be too high. If you are using a charger then it would be fine for 4 or 5 amps. If you using another battery then wire in a spare head light bulb in series with one lead and this will restruct the current to 5 amps then once the buld dulls to less that 1/2 brighness then open the doors and boot. I still would not jump it yet and would charge is some more, may be 2 hrs then connect jump leads to the battery in the boot wait 10 minutes then start the donor car and run for 10 minutes. TURN the donor car OFF then start the BM, disconnect leads and arrange an overnight low charge 2 amps ideally. Regards Peter
Simon correct in one!

He did actually find the handbook in the end, and it has the emergency unlock instructions.

Key for boot is operated in the reverse direction to drivers door lock - and was 'stiff'. But opened without breaking the key in the end.

Thanks to all for helpful suggestions.

p

Edited by pmh2 on 14/04/2009 at 12:40

RTFM then !! :-)
>>Simon correct in one!

I feel quite proud now...