01 1.3 Replacing thermostat again - andyj941
Hi the thermostat housing seal is still leaking so am going to replace housing and gasket and seal with silicon sealant and tighten the two housing nuts to the right torque. However I have a couple of questions, I thought I would replace the thermostat so have got a new one which is 195F. Is this ok for my car and engine (fiesta flight 1.3 endura e 01). Also it came with a rubber sealing ring but the thermostat in the car at the moment has no ring, is it ok to leave off then and if not where does it go? And finally the new stat doesn't have holes in it so could this be a problem with air locks? Going to try and replace the stat and housing without bleeding the whole system as have only recently bled and replaced the coolant. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
01 1.3 Replacing thermostat again - bell boy
last time i did an 01 endura thermostat i lost all the water out of the system (well most of it) i cant understand why though as its quite high up
drill a 1/8th hole if it makes you feel better
the rubber is to seal the therm in the housing
tighten till you hear your elbow crack ,no tighter
i wouldnt use silicone just bright metal both surfaces up with something course wire brush emery cloth etc
i find eqaseast way to bleed system is get level to max/warm engine up with header cap off heater on full then just drive up and down the yard/road
OK I'll make sure I have plenty of antifreeze/water to fill it back up in case it does mostly leak out. Oh right so is the rubber seal to sit on top of the stat then gets squashed down when the housing goes back on top and forms a water tight seal, stopping the water from reaching the gasket/join between the housing and engine? If that's the case maybe that's why it was leaking in the first place as the gasket has been in constant contact with the water and disinintegrated (there currently is no seal of any kind). Hope I'm making sense! Is it a bad idea to use the silicone only it was recommended. Is the 195F stat ok for the job? Will just do what you said rather than drill holes if it's going to work
01 1.3 Replacing thermostat again - jc2
I'd get a genuine thermostat and gasket from Ford;I may be wrong but it sounds like you have bought a "one-size fits all".
And not all thermostats have a hole in to get rid of the air;some have a small "V" nick on the opening plate itself.
I'd get a genuine thermostat and gasket from Ford;I may be wrong but it sounds
like you have bought a "one-size fits all".

>i disagree these days ford parts have to be ordered and some of their prices are just too silly
a quinton hazel will be fine and usually does have the little clip of which you speak
seat and trousers is the drilling bit but to be honest ive never driled a therm myself and never (touch plastic) had one come back
Order parts for a 1.3???????
OK I'll just get genuine ford stuff
Order parts for a 1.3???????

>>> fraid so
parts ive had to order in the last twelve months and took 2 days to arrive
ka bumper clips
fiesta bumper number late lights
theres other bits but my minds gone blank
this is from a dealer that covers a very wide area and passes my cave every day 3 times

speaking to another trader today and he tells me the local renault dealer to him has dropped parts deliveries altogether

vauxhall dealer i had to order bits the other day they took 2 days to arrive and i went to collect them rather than wait another dayfor delivery

you cant even go in a dealership these days and ask for a common part they need a reg number, even though something common was fitted for 7 years,i once resorted to going into their sales fleet and coming back with one of their registration marks

its all run by computers and just in time these days,well i dont like spotty yoofs who wouldnt know a flitch from a witch give me back the time served parts man every time,unfortunately they have all been made redundant to cut down on minimum wages etc

countries falling to bits