04 2.8 Cambelt change on 2.8CRD - jonat127
Hi,
My voyager is approaching 60k miles and is due a cam belt change. I have done this on various old and cheap cars but I am a little nervous about doing the job on my newish expensive daily driver.
My main questions are:
Are there any particularly tricky bits to this job on this engine?
How do I lock the engine in order to get the crankshaft pully off when it has an auto transmission?
Thanks
Jon
04 2.8 Cambelt change on 2.8CRD - MerlinTec
Hi Jon
You don?t need to remove the big centre bolt you have 4 small ones round the outside so you just remove the pulley. The top camshafts have timing marks on them but don?t use them as the pulleys are free wheeling (no keyway) so they don?t line up with anything. You are supposed to remove little alan key blanking plugs at the front of each camshaft and insert locking pins (not that easy to do) I only do this when a belt has snapped (safe ish engine only brakes a rocker when the belt goes so no need to remove the head) instead I use a locking tool to lock both camshafts together and holds them.
Hope this helps dealer time is about 4 hours to change but easy to do way under that.
04 2.8 Cambelt change on 2.8CRD - jonat127
That's brilliant thanks.
Jon
04 2.8 Cambelt change on 2.8CRD - Michael.Neilan1
Dear Merlin, Can you let me know where to get the special tools needed to do this cambelt change. I think you need camshafts locking pins, and certain other tools. Chrysler Dealer says they don't supply them. This is insane as they will sell you the parts but not the tools to fit them.

SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/09/2009 at 11:41

dealer CAN supply then do you want the locking pins? or you can use a universal locking tool to hold the cams and a drill bit in the dell housing to hold the crank. If you want I will look up the part numbers of the locking pins and you can then just call your dealer with the part numbers and order them. Your lazzy dealer just can't be bothered to look them up.
Thanks a lot Merlin It would be helpful to know the part numbers. I will show your message to my engineer friend who will do the job and maybe he can do without but I would appreciate the numbers. Very best regards & thanks again Michael
Look up a 2005 2.8 special tools should be all the same
Vm.1068 crankshaft locking pin is K01090488
Vm.1053 exhaust locking pin is K01090485
Vm.1052 inlet locking pin is K01090484
tell the parts man this is all posted on the Chrysler info net if he can be bothered to look.
Thank you Merlin for taking the time to be so helpful I really appreciate it, The parts are on order. Michael