Permanently illuminated dash display - Mapmaker
My 2006 Legacy has a permanently illuminated dash display. It doesn't come on with the headlights. Whilst there obviously is a small headlight icon in a distant corner of the display, it is tiny and dim.

This strikes me as a distinctly dangerous setup. Any other vehicle I have ever owned or driven, you know it is time to turn the headlights on when you can no longer see the display.

I have taken the decision to run with headlights perpetually on (they are automatically turned off when the ignition is turned off).
Permanently illuminated dash display - Chicken Vindaloo
The current Lexus IS is the same.
Permanently illuminated dash display - TheOilBurner
And all recent Vauxhalls.

I don't get it either. Maybe they're trying to encourage people to upgrade to and demand auto lights?
Permanently illuminated dash display - George Porge
Like most things on modern cars I'd bet this feature can be programmed in or out (depending on country of use etc) via a scanner / laptop etc Ask when you have the car serviced, or on a single marque web forum if it can be done.

;o)
Permanently illuminated dash display - ijws15
The Accord is the same, but dims when the lights are turned on.

I regard it as a SAFETY FEATURE.

Believe me when you get into the car in the dark the glow from the dash is so bright it blinds you and you are glad to turn the lights on to dim the display!
Permanently illuminated dash display - bathtub tom
I drive a couple of vehicles whose instruments are so poorly displayed I leave the sidelights on all day just to see the speedo.
Permanently illuminated dash display - Bill Payer
The Accord is the same but dims when the lights are turned on.
I regard it as a SAFETY FEATURE.

I noted it as an issue when I test drove Accord a few years ago. I don't recall the display dimming (could be they've changed it now) and I don't think there was any indication on the dash that outside lights were on, other than looking at the light switch (which I guess is what was done in the olden days). I thought it was a real problem in conditions where lights were needed during daylight.
Permanently illuminated dash display - alfalfa
I had an Audi A4 with this feature and I certainly forgot to switch on my headlights on several occasions because of it. I think I eventually found out how to to disable the feature. I was never sure what advantage it offered.

alfalfa
Permanently illuminated dash display - paulvm
I found it a little weird at first with my Accord, but soon got used to it. There is a green light to the top left of the speedo which shows if the outside lights are switched on. The advantage is that you can read all of the internal displays easily, and as another post says it is so bright in the dark that you are prompted to switch on the lights to dim the dash!
Permanently illuminated dash display - Pugugly
Commented in this "feature" in the CRV thread - It was pointed out to me that I was stupid as there is a tiny lights on icon when the sidelights are lit. I still think its a bad idea.
Like de man said: "headlight icon in a distant corner of the display, it is tiny "
Permanently illuminated dash display - doctorchris
Would be useful driving through the short but very dark underpass on the Newcastle-upon-Tyne central motorway, where the speed limit changes in the darkest bit. Can't see the speedo and the dark bit is too short to put lights on.
doctorchris - ever thought that if it's too dark to see your dashboard it might be too dark for other cars to see your car??????

The Continental Europeans are very hot on "allumez vos feux" at the start of tunnels.
Permanently illuminated dash display - doctorchris
It's really not a tunnel, more like a few bridges that run together. I do actually try to put my lights on then off but nobody else does, it's over in a flash but is on a bend with a change of speed limit.
Very odd.
Permanently illuminated dash display - Happy Blue!
Obviously my Outback has the same issue and I too find it occasionally irritating that one forgets the lights are on, or off as the case may be.

However it is a useful reminder to turn the lights on at night when the brightness of the dash is simply too bright. Not convinced its the best solution though..
Permanently illuminated dash display - mikeyb
Audi A3 has the same "feature". Cant say its been a problem for me, but I have auto lights
Permanently illuminated dash display - daveyjp
Audi A3s with auto lights also have auto adjust of the instrument panel. If the interior is quite bright the backlight won't illuminate, even if the headlights are on, for example on overcast days.

If you want the insturments illuminated whenever the headlights are on you have to put the headlights on manually.
Permanently illuminated dash display - andyfr
It was pointed out to me that I was stupid as there is a tiny lights on icon when the sidelights are lit.

PU - I mentioned the light icon in the other thread, I certainly didn't say you were stupid and I apologise if I gave that impression.
Permanently illuminated dash display - Pugugly
I felt stupid :-)
Permanently illuminated dash display - JH
Ahem. Confession time. I drove a few hundred yards last winter in my wife's car (Jazz) wondering why the guy behind was flashing me. I didn't have my headlights on, the dash was illuminated. Silly mistake, I suppose you get used to it but I much prefer dash lights to come on with headlights.
JH
Permanently illuminated dash display - Altea Ego

Edited by Altea Ego on 02/04/2009 at 21:17

Permanently illuminated dash display - Bromptonaut
The beloved BX had this feature, made the display much easier to read. Big stack of warning lights between tacho and speedo including pilot lights for side/head and main beam. No more likely to forget lights than in any other car. Instruments and cowling retained by a couple of wingnuts so replacing blown bulbs was a breeze.

Wish the current Xantia/Berlingo family car combo worked that way.
Permanently illuminated dash display - frazerjp
Volvo 480 had this feature too, would switch off after car is locked or after a few minutes.
Permanently illuminated dash display - grumpyscot
Toyota Avensis has very bright dash light when headlights off. Lights automatically dim when the autonatic headlights come on. Headlight warning light also comes on.

Annoying that the headlights go off when you open the driver's door - I liked the Volvo idea of staying on for about 20 seconds so you could see your way to the house.

Permanently illuminated dash display - Old Navy
Try checking the manual, on my focus the headlights go off with the key in auto, or if they are off anyway, if you then "flash" the headlights with the stalk they stay on for about 30secs. The display switches on and off with the lights, but has a dimmer and a lights on indicator light.

Edited by Old Navy on 03/04/2009 at 09:10

Permanently illuminated dash display - boxsterboy
The beloved BX had this feature made the display much easier to read. Instruments and cowling retained
by a couple of wingnuts so replacing blown bulbs was a breeze.

Yes, which was just as well as my BXs (GTi & TZD Turbo Estate) certainly used to get through the instrument bulbs!
Permanently illuminated dash display - DP
The Scenic had sidelight, and dipped beam "warning lights" in its LED instrument panel, despite having an auto light function. Maybe it's a French thing.

The Volvo's lights are always on, and hence so is its panel lighting. Warning light only for main beam.
Permanently illuminated dash display - Brian Tryzers
What happens if you need both headlights and sunglasses - a combination of low sun and showery rain, say? In my Volvo, no problem; in our Toyota Verso - whose instruments are perma-lit instruments and dim with the headlights on - you can't see 'em. And there's no manual dimmer control either.

I think the problem arises when the instruments depend on illumination to be seen at all. The Volvo's don't, but the Verso's do.
[Other cars named after Latin verbs are available - probably.]