oil leak - julia forsyth
there seems to be a lot of discussion re oil leaks in nissan x trail.
for some time I had a minor oil leak so took it to my local garage who tightened various things. It was alright for a few weeks but then started leaking
with a vengeance. The vehicle has just returned from garage with having had a new turbo fitted. I was without the car for 10 days as had to wait for a) quote and b)delivery of part. Apparently the ceramic seals had broken round the turbo. I now have a bill of over £1,100
Does this seem right for a car that was purchased new, is just 4 years old and only done
30.000 miles?
any comment would be appreciated
julia forsyth
oil leak - kayks
Nissan X-Trail diesels are notoriously prone to turbo failure, see HJ report on this model. Generally, on a turbo diesel, it helps if you keep the engine idling for a minute or so before switching off. Also, did you get the EGR valve replaced along with the turbo?
oil leak - DuncanSuperb
This seems to be a widely known problem and as mentioned HJ has flagged it up on the c by c. He used to rate this car quite highly and often recommended it in his Sat Telegraph column but it think it's image has been rather soiled.

I wonder how much the long term costs are really effected though and whether by resolving the turbo issue effectively puts the X-Trail back into contention with say the CRV - or are there other significant reliability issues that dog it?
oil leak - Dwight Van Driver
Welcome to the Club Julia

Mine started to play up some 14 days before the 3 year warranty expired. Only a small leak according to Nissan who declined to intervene.6 months later new turbo and new intercooler and bank balance nearly 1500 less things seemed to have settled down but it is known for them to 'blow' again.

Have a look at the botton left hand side of the intercooler and wipe underneath.
Oil present of 'snot' okli marks on the rubber tune underneath. If so Intercooler has blown.

I did hear a whisper, not known if true that Nissan finally acknowleged the problems with the turbo and have redesigned the unit and were offering free replacement for vehicles just out of warranty. Worth investigating to see if true but be aware that Nissan are tighter than a ducks backside.

Should really have ditched the vehicle but it is far the best I have ever had for driver comfort.

dvd

oil leak - mynameistrevor
Your point about comfort is a good one. At some stage we might want to replace our V40 and I had been speculating that an X-Trail would fit the bill. Roomy, practical, not too big, and (Nissan) reliable.

These threads are a bit of a bummer. But then you read from others that they have no trouble. I guess there is no way of telling how the turbo is. What would be the cost of an indy replacing turbo in intercooler?
oil leak - Sulphur Man
I bought an X-Trail 2.5 petrol auto for the wife, 06-plate 13K miles, last October. It's been absolutely first class and she wouldnt part with it for the world. Super comfortabe and an excellent runaround for a busy mother. If you dont have to own the diesel, I'd recommend the 2.5 petrols, which were manufactured in Japan with fine fit and finish, no Renault bits.

FYI - we did test the Mk2 X-Trail (150dci auto) prior to purchase, but felt the Mk1 a better proportioned car - more rear leg space and better view of the road (a real X-Trail virtue)

oil leak - motorprop
very happy with our '04 2.5 petrol Auto, fully loaded, reliable and comfortable, just watch out as from 2006 they are liable for £400 / 405 a year VED ? Also, they have very chunky A pillars that make vision at junctions very restrictive..
oil leak - captain chaos
Generally on a turbo diesel it helps if you keep the engine idling for a
minute or so before switching off.

Same goes for any turbo, diesel or petrol. Even with a non turbo engine, I let it idle for a minute if I pull in at motorway services before switching off