05 2.0 Oil leak around Turbo - jonnyred
Hi i recently had a sevice at Vauxhall and when i picked the car up the guy asked me if i ever had problems starting my 05 2.0 DTi SRi. I said no never. When i asked why he said as they had found oil in the fuel filter but as i had no problem it was ok.

He also then noted that there was a slight oil leak around the pipe to the turbo. i had noticed this but it was very slight and i had not noticed any performance issues or turbo problem. Again he said if there was no problem i should just try to see where it was leaking from as it was either a seal or the turbo could be on its way out ? Bit of a difference there then ! And i imagine turbo = expensive.

I am now worried as i am completely now car techie. I have noticed the leak now appears worse (coincidence ?) so am wondering where to go next. Any advice gratefully received.

Also (coincidence) since the service my car alarm keeps going off. This only happens at night, not every night. I park all day long at work and get not a peep from it. But the last couple of nights its been quite a few times, indeed i am writing this at stupid o clock because the alarm keeps going off. Again any advice would be great. I have read a thread on here ref alarm faults but the solution seems beyond me technically but does give me a place to start.

regards

Jonnyred
05 2.0 Oil leak around Turbo - SpamCan61 {P}
In terms of alarm diagnosis I'd start by disabling the internal sensors when parked ( you do this on the old style Zafira by pressing the two map reading light buttons together, maybe similar on new style). Then maybe checking all air vents ar eclosed, no spiders making a home in the the sensors, check the seat belts are fully retracted when parking etc.
05 2.0 Oil leak around Turbo - Peter D
How can you have oil in a fuel filter, they mix. Which pipe at the turbo have oil leaking. If this is the output to the intercooler then this could indicate a slight leak from the turbo bearings/seals. Remove the pipe and inspect inside for signs of oil. Clean and re-fit firsmly. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 01/04/2009 at 10:39

i am only quoting what i was told. Again not being very car mechanically minded not sure of the pipe but it is the large pipe coming out of the turbo.

i will go try your solution now and have a look.

thanks for the reply
thanks i will try that now, its been going off all day today. Last night i had to lock it by opening the back door pushing down the front driverside door lock then shuuting back door. i have it booked into the vauxhall garage tomorrow for the dreaded diagnostic, but am hopeful as the mechanic i spoke to said it could be the back up battery in the sounder, something i have seen on a thread here
05 2.0 Oil leak around Turbo - topbloke
i think what he means about oil in the filter (fuel) is that the actuall filter looked as if some oil had been through it (this can happen if the injector seals leak, the injector seal is the bit that seals between the injector and the bridge piece that brings the fuel into the injector from the outside of the engine) although this does not cause bad starting very often just a bit of oil consumption and a bit of black/blue smoke when it contaminates the fuel enough, Regards TB
Right i see.

Last night i cleaned all the area around where all the oil was showing by the turbo.

The oil was worst on the below the large rubber hose with several jubilee clips on, that connects to what must be the turbo ( far left of the engine space). The tube is a three way tube with the smallest connection looking like it goes to the engine block.

i undid the jubilee clips and looked inside but there was no oil showing at all. The smaller tube on the underside of the main hose looks like a two part one with a bit of movement in the middle but i was unable to break the join as it was held by metal clips. This is where the oil seemed 'wettest'.

the area is now totally clean so i will look out over the next couple of days to see i can can pinpoint the leak and report back.

Sorry that i cant be very descriptive, car engines just arent my thing, off to ebay now to look for a zafira manual.

thanks for replies
Just to let you know i have had the car looked at and on the diagnostics it came up that i had a fault in the rear quarterlight window. This has an alarm sensor in it. The solution is to either have a new window fitted or to disconnect the wiring and join it together to miss out the window sensor. According to the mechanic it is quite a common fault on Zafira A's.

thanks for all the replies i will post back to say if it solves the alarm problem.

cheers