Volvo V70 buying advice - Robert J.
Hi
I am interested in a Volvo V70 I have seen on Ebay. It is a D5 SE spec, 04, 54-plate with 73K miles. It is for sale 'make an offer' or 'buy it now' for £7995. Any opinions on the price? Seems a little high to me, should I offer 7K? Also, if any V70 owners can suggest anything to watch out for I would be grateful. Thanks, Robert
Volvo V70 buying advice - adverse camber
Timing belt may be due? Am I wrong in thinking 5 years/80K or was that the 2.5

I presume the injector problems were sorted by '04?
Volvo V70 buying advice - prm72
I've got the S60 with the same engine, timing belts need renewing at 96k and the injector issues were sorted by 04, lovely solid car with a superb and frugal engine, make sure everything works as it should cos parts can be expensive, but you won't regret it, i love em.
Volvo V70 buying advice - gmac
A 54 plate D5 will be 163PS/161BHP EU3 engine which doesn't have the DPF (good thing)....

If it has P6000 tyres on it ask for a change to Goodyear F1 or Primacy HP tyres as the Pirelli's give awful tramlining (pull on rutted roads). Polybushes on the front bottom joints are also a good thing and check the engine top mount as it can crack (Volvo new part is much improved).

Headlight bulbs are a ROYAL PITA to change on the facelift models however, Volvo have done the semi decent thing and the main dealer will do it for a reasonable price...Other than that, '54 plate 05 model is much improved (as long as you have the DRL switched off so the car is not on its fourth set of headlights at 3 years of age).
Volvo V70 buying advice - Chris White
(as long as you have
the DRL switched off so the car is not on its fourth set of headlights
at 3 years of age).

I have an S60 and it does have an appetite for bulbs (another tail light gone today, but at least the car tells me through the info. centre).

Have seen posted on the Volvo forum (at least that's where I think I saw it) that if you switch the headlights to side lights before starting it prolongs the life of the headlamp bulbs.

Would also agree re: choice of tyres being very important to ride comfort. Numerous people on Volvo forum have had problems with the P6000.

Chris.

Edited by Chris White on 28/03/2009 at 23:32

Have seen posted on the Volvo forum (at least that's where I think I saw
it) that if you switch the headlights to side lights before starting it prolongs the
life of the headlamp bulbs.

That may possibly have been me but take no credit for it, it makes no difference. We tried it with our S60 D5 and still had one bulb fail after only ten weeks. I had our DRL's disabled in the end...
>>We tried it with our S60 D5 and still had one bulb fail after
only ten weeks. I had our DRL's disabled in the end...

>>
Just to clarify, the original bulbs failed after two and a half years but were not covered by the original warranty, thanks Volvo ! further replacements (Dutch replacements in Eindhoven) were installed and FAILED after a further ten months so went back to OEM which failed after ten weeks...
Volvo V70 buying advice - Chris White
Apologies for going slightly off topic, do you need to tell your insurance company about disabling the DRLs?
Told my insurance co. and they could not give a monkeys however, tell, record the fact, and they then have no come back.
Volvo V70 buying advice - Paddler Ed
My V70 Classic is on a new set of headlights (The reflectors had yellowed at around 195k) and has done nearly another 20k on the same set of bulbs.

I've used OE headlights which came with a new set of bulbs in there, and they seem to be going strong still.
Volvo V70 buying advice - ex-Triumph man
The winter pack, ie heated front seats are a bonus and well worth considering.