1994 1.4 passed mot then conks out! - telecaster
While returning from mot station with friends Nissan Sunny (which it passed) the car started stuttering as tho running out of petrol.

I had some fuel in the boot and topped it up......after a lot of cursing and cranking the engine eventually fired and drove home without further trouble.

The following day the car refused to start.....cranked over no problem but would not fire.

I assumed the filter had picked up the muck at the end of the tank and replaced it.......to no avail.

removing the inlet pipe from filter revealed a good strong surge of petrol which I assume rules out the fuel pump.

Cleaned contacts inside cap and rotor arm but still no go.

Removing number one plug and testing for spark with engine turned over revealed a weak orange spark????????????

I am sure the spark should be a healthy blueish colour........could this be a condenser problem?

Am really stumped on this and any help is most welcome.

Ta in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2009 at 19:05

1994 1.4 sunny passes mot then conks out! - TurboD
Blue spark?, are you sure , I cannot recall seeing anything other than a orange type spark. The blue flashing used to be seen in a Colourtune plug that I had, bit crude now.
The thing is a spark is there , which should ignite mixture, if the timing is right.
Not a low compression problem is it?
1994 1.4 sunny passes mot then conks out! - slowdown avenue
fuel pumps are a common problem on these . easy cheap repair, were you going up hill when it packed up
1994 1.4 sunny passes mot then conks out! - topbloke
more likely an ignition amp/coil, may still have a set of points/condensor at this age
1994 1.4 sunny passes mot then conks out! - telecaster
Thanks for replies....was actually going uphill when she conked.

Spark was a weak orange.....maybe I am getting confused with the old Gunson colortune gadget.

No points on this , all electronic.

All roads lead to fuel pump so....many thanks guys...will let you know if new pump solves problem.

Slowdown....is the pump in this model electric? ...ie in the tank ...or mechanical,(which I doubt).

Many Thanks again.

Marty.
Slowdown was correct..changed pump today and running like a swiss watch now!

Best site on the net...long may Hj CONTINUE!
1994 1.4 sunny passes mot then conks out! - slowdown avenue
well done. now dont neglect your coolant changes every 2 years 50 50 mix use soft water