2003 1.4TDCI Speedometer playing up - chris.speakman
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and came across it whilst searching the net to try to discover what's happened to my car.

I've got a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 53 plate and recently, when driving and also idle in traffic, the speedometer decides to start flickering from 0-140mph in a matter of seconds, rectifies itself then might not happen for a few days later. I could be doing 70mph down the motorway, it'll flick up to 100mph, down to 60mph then recify itself to the actual speed I'm going. It's starting to do my head in. Also aswell, under the speedometer is the reading for my mileage and sometimes, but hardly ever, when the speedometer starts playing up, my mileage will just display dots. Then all of sudden, again by magic rectify itself.

Anyone got any ideas or put my mind at rest that my car isn't going to blow up lol.

I do alot of motorway miles, maybe about 70 miles per day. It's been an excellent car so far, it's go just over 97000 on the clock.

Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/03/2009 at 15:12

2003 1.4TDCI Speedometer playing up - Armitage Shanks {p}
A colleague who had a similar problem with a Fiesta speedo traced the problem to an electrical connection, a plug on the gearbox which transmits electrical info to the speedo. However, the changes to the odometer reading may not be related to this sort of problem. Whatever, it sounds like an intermttent electrical problem and a poor connection I would guess
2003 1.4TDCI Speedometer playing up - chris.speakman
Cheers, looks like a trip to the garage...an expense I could do without :)

Edited by chris.speakman on 25/03/2009 at 18:53