Sat Nav - Inishman
I have just purchased a second hand Avensis Diesel Hatchback 2.0D-4D T3-X5dr today. it has a Sat Nav switch on the radio dash, but I am not sure if there is one fitted, if I press the switch nothing happens your help please from other owners would be appreciated. Regards Inishman
Sat Nav - rtj70
What model year? I believe a few years ago the T3-S had sat nav and the T3-X had other extra trim. It was the T4 that had the combined trim. But to really comment we need to know the year of manufacture.
Sat Nav - Inishman
Its a 2008 model
Sat Nav - rtj70
I assume this is the old shape Avensis? And if a T3-X, it had no satnav. They put a nice sat nav unit in the T4 and the "special model" TR. The TR was the same price as the T3-X new.

Edited by rtj70 on 23/03/2009 at 22:06

Sat Nav - pd
If it has SatNav it should have a DVD unit under the front passenger seat and it should show GPS co-ordinates in the display even without a disc in the unit.

All Avensis models had "dual labelled" button up near the central display regardless of whether the satnav module was fitted or not.
Sat Nav - Altea Ego
All Avensis models had "dual labelled" button up near the central display regardless of whether
the satnav module was fitted or not.

that would make me feel cheated seeing that all the time

Edited by Webmaster on 24/03/2009 at 00:26

Sat Nav - rtj70
In 2008 (2007 when I test drove them) the satnav unit was in the dash and touch screen. No touchscreen and therefore no satnav?
Sat Nav - grumpyscot
T3X doesn't have sat-nav - it has cruise control instead. T3-S has the sat-nav. Both models are fitted with a control button though - more cost effective to do so.
Sat Nav - wrangler_rover
I have an avensis T3S march 2006 with the old style toyota satnav.
It's not user friendly and doesn't recognise postcodes.
I gave up on it and bought a tomtom.
Why can't car manufacturers fit a tomtom or garmin based satnav instead of their own inferior systems?
Sat Nav - Lou_O
Why can't car manufacturers fit a tomtom or garmin based satnav instead of their own inferior systems?

How much mark-up on the OEM system ?

How much mark-up on one they'd buy in from Garmin, TT etc?

I think that's the answer, they make a lot more profit selling their own solution.
Sat Nav - rtj70
Some now do fit the likes of a TomTom. Including Toyota in some markets. I think the latest is Renault for some of their cars.

e.g.

www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09/11/tomtom_toyota_gps/

Edited by rtj70 on 24/03/2009 at 17:09

Sat Nav - Adam {P}
That dash (the climate control...controls in particular) looks remarkably like an Audi one to me....very un-Japanese in any event!

Although my mate has a 53 plate T3-X with "sat nav" but no cruise. It's not the most useful of driving aids though and quite fiddly to use. I think we played with it once when he got the car and then never again since.

Sat Nav - rtj70
That dash (the climate control...controls in particular) looks remarkably like an Audi one
to me....very un-Japanese in any event!

I did a quick google and that's the example I found. But I think it is a VAG car of some sort. Probably Audi, but the previous A4 is now available as a SEAT.

The actual SatNav unit is known as Eclipse and is a double DIN unit. This known as something else in the Toyotas and Daihatsu's.

TomTom's Renault solution:

www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=812&Categor...1

Sat Nav - Bagpuss
The dash is an old model Audi A4. Did a lot of driving in those.

Makes me wonder how reliable the rest of the report is though as the picture also looks Photoshopped.

To answer the comments about fitting TomToms rather than an OEM system. The SatNav in my car is far easier to use than any portable (including the relatively simple Navigon I own), much faster and the display can switch between SatNav, Phone, iPod, Radio and Internet(!) at the turn of a conveniently positioned i-Drive dial. No fumbling around with messy touch screens or anything.

I would agree with you about the non-graphic systems though. I think a SatNav which can't display a map is a waste of dashboard space.

Edited by Bagpuss on 24/03/2009 at 17:30

Sat Nav - rtj70
Makes me wonder how reliable the rest of the report is though as the picture also looks
Photoshopped.

The point of the link is there are units from TomTom/Eclipse that are or can be fitted to various cars.

Back to the original question, it sounds like the car the OP is looking at does not have sat nav but does have the button. If this is the Avensis before the late life upgrade (touch screen sat nav) then the screen used to pop up out of the dash hence the button. Later ones had a double DIN unit with touch screen.
Sat Nav - Inishman
It has cruise control, but no Sat Nav, once I seen the button on the dash for sat nav I was looking forward to testing out, aren't I a sad person. Thanks all for your help.
Sat Nav updated DVD? - flemingant
Does anyone if you can get an updated DVD for 2006 avensis t3s.