urgent advice needed - Failed PAS. - plant1983
Hi ladies and gents.

I need a bit of advice.

My 2006 Ford Focus 1,6 Zetec Climate (58,000 miles) is 1 month out of manurfacturers warranty and this morning the power steering pump failed. Ford have offered to pay 25% of the bill (before VAT).

My 2nd problem is that during the vehicles 1st MOT last month I was advised there was a "very very minor weep of oil coming from the sump" (testers words). The advice was to keep an eye on it, shouldn't be a problem. Well this has now turned into quite a major oil leak.

The total bill I am looking at is just under £1000 on a car that is 1 month out of warranty, full service history etc etc.

Any advice on where I stand legally on this would be much appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2009 at 22:20

Urgent Advice Needed - Failed Power Steering Pump - L'escargot
there was a "very very minor weep of oil coming from the sump" (testers words).

Whereabouts from the sump? At the most, a leak from the sump would require a new sump to effect a cure. I've been given an estimate of £200 for the eventual replacement of my badly rusting (but not yet leaking) sump.

Edited by L'escargot on 23/03/2009 at 13:26

Urgent Advice Needed - Failed Power Steering Pump - plant1983
The majority of the bill is sorting the power steering pump out, Ford dealer wants £345 to sort the oil leak.
Urgent Advice Needed - Failed Power Steering Pump - J1mbo
I'd be pushing for the DEALER to pickup the bill, you have rights as well as the warranty. Have a look on the consumers direct website, basically the car should be fit for purpose and of resonable quality and durability.

If the dealer wont play ball then you might need to pay for it, then take them to small claims court. But for sure, such a series of major faults on a b3 year old car is not acceptable. But don't make the mistake of talking to Ford themselves, if does'nt really have anything to do with them as you purchased the car from the dealer. Good luck and let us know how you get on, but I'd start by handing a letter to the dealer principle, keep a copy and send it to trading standards with a cover note. Give them 7 days to respond, if no reply send a reminder then failing that, go to court.

Did you pay by credit card or the deposit on card? If so, inform them of what's happening.
Urgent Advice Needed - Failed Power Steering Pump - Ben 10
"does'nt really have anything to do with them as you purchased the car from the dealer"

Surely the warranty is a 3 year manufacturers warranty. i.e. Ford. Not the dealer. Usually the Ford dealerships carry out warranty repairs on behalf of Ford. They claim their costs back from Ford.

I had the same problem. Just out of 3 year warranty. I'm afraid its tough. They wash their hands after the 3 years. If it goes wrong after this time, they don't want to know. Up to a couple of months they usually give a little, as a goodwill gesture, and meet part of the repair/part. You will have to settle for that.
Urgent Advice Needed - Failed Power Steering Pump - MikeTorque
Get a couple of other quotes for the work that is required, the figures you've been quoted are high for such work. Now the car is out of warranty you can have the work done by another garage if you so wish.

Edited by MikeTorque on 23/03/2009 at 22:17

Urgent Advice Needed - Failed Power Steering Pump - Altea Ego
Get a couple of other quotes for the work that is required the figures you've
been quoted are high for such work. Now the car is out of warranty you
can have the work done by another garage if you so wish

not if you want ford or the dealer to stump up for it you cant

urgent advice needed - Failed PAS. - L'escargot
The car's warranty has expired, so Ford are being very generous in offering to pay 25%. You can't expect a warranty to remain valid beyond the stated length of time.
urgent advice needed - Failed PAS. - jc2
Ford(in common with most manufacturers) give a one year warranty,the next two years are covered by the dealer and,as I said,this is not just Ford policy,most manufacturers cover their cars in the same way-in fact,Ford tend to interpret their policies in a more favourable way to the claimant than other makers.
urgent advice needed - Failed PAS. - bonzodog
1/ If the PAS has just failed - unlucky. Ford are being good enough to pay 25%.

2/ Was the oil "weep" noticed & reported to a Ford dealer within the 3 year warranty period? In which case this fault should be coverd under warranty.

Good luck