Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - prad44
Hello folks,
I'm planning to buy an ex-fleet car from a local dealer (car trader). This car comes with no V5 and no service-history. I had a look at the HPI report for that car and it says it has no previous keepers (which means that the dealer has repossessed it, but not a registered keeper).
Is it ok if for me to buy the car given it as no service-history nor logbook (given he says he'll fill V62)?
I'll be getting MOT, Tax-disc (valid) and two sets of keys along with the car. Is there anything else I should be getting? (like a copy of V62?)

Since I'm quite new to cars, I'm not sure if I should pay lot less for this fleet-car (with no service history) than the valuation i found on whatcar.co.uk.

Thank you

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2009 at 10:55

Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - Andrew-T
It should have a V5, as it must have belonged to someone. But (a) how old is it and (b) what is the mileage? It could quite properly have had no services at this stage. But as it is likely to be new enough to be within original warranty, make sure it is serviced in accordance before you buy.

But is it old enough to need a MoT (3 years)?

Edited by Andrew-T on 23/03/2009 at 11:43

Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - DP
As a bare minimum:

> Run an HPI check. Get the chassis number and reg number off the car yourself - don't trust anyone else to do it - especially the seller. With repossessions, sometimes the legal title to the car can be unclear. Any question marks on this, walk away.
> Phone the nearest dealer for the manufacturer of the car, and ask them to check if there's any official service history for the car. Manufacturer backed servicing for most makes is recorded on a central computer.
> If the service history is not complete, or the services have not been done on time, any manufacturer's warranty is null and void, and you will get no goodwill from the manufacturer. If it's skipped the odd service, it's unlikely to be a major problem. If you can find no record of it ever having been serviced, you want the car dirt cheap!
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - prad44
It was first registered in 12/2003. It has run 51k. I think it is off original warranty and I'd be surprised if there were no services done on this piece of machinery.

Cheers,
Pradeep
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - jbif
prad44:

Your gut instinct told you to seek advice here. That means your instinct is NOT to buy it.

Go with your instinct.

Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - rtj70
I'd be surprised if there were no services done on this piece of machinery.

Do not assume anything.

It will not have just come off a fleet at that age. They tend to be 4 years old max. And don't assume it's been repossessed or something - fleet cars don't get repossessed.

Sounds dodgy enough to me to suggest walk away.

What make/model and what price and we can back up our suggestion of walking away.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - jbif
It will not have just come off a fleet at that age >>

pd, who seems to be in the trade, suggests otherwise in his post timed at 17.28 further down:
" .. I am looking through a fleet disposal auction catalogue for tomorrow from a major leasing company and there are several 03 plate cars in there. There are also several with no V5 and no history. "

Edited by jbif on 23/03/2009 at 17:59

Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - rtj70
I'm surprised because fleets tend to keep them for a max of 4 years. My Mondeo was 4 years old when it went back in Oct 2007.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - cuthbert
Myself I would not touch it with a barge pole !! There are plenty of second hand cars out there without getting involved with this one
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - andyp
I would have thought that a 2003 car is too old to have just come off of a fleet !
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - nortones2
Of course, it may be true that it once was a fleet car, but they don't usually keep them for 6 years. More of an orphan than ex-fleet!
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - adverse camber
A car that old isnt going to be a fleet car. How come they've got two sets of keys but no V5? what about fobs ? what was originally supplied with the vehicle?

Do the keys look brand new? new locks? Check that both keys open everything and start the car - when testing starting make sure that only one key is near the ignition and have a look aropund the ignition and steering column for anything strange - like a transponder glued to the column so that any key can start the car.

I would be looking to pay significantly less than for a car where all documents are present. Remember that any HPi guarrantee will not apply to a car with no docs.

tbh I would walk away - plenty of cars for sale.

Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - jacks
Over 5 years old - no V5 - No S/H - and 51K ????

It screams clocked clocked clocked very loudly to me!

The trader could easily dig out some service history if everything is in order (by phoning the main dealer - as others have said, or calling the fleet co and getting a print out) as this would make the car easier to sell.

He hasn't. Why not?

Most likely it's been out in the trade and through a couple of auctions and at some point has had a "haircut".

Without a service history or guaranteed mileage, you may as well ignore the mileage on the clock and value the car as having done in excess of 100,00 miles and I suspect if you adjust your valuation in line with this sort of mileage it will cease to look as good a buy as it originally seemed.

Plenty of cars to choose from, there's always another one, but my advice would be to give this one a very wide berth.

Jacks
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - bananastand
this sounds like a nightmare. How much does the dealer want? Actually forget that, I wouldn't buy it for a tenner.

I'd just go to a proper supermarket, but choose one that HJ recommends. Some car supermarkets I've seen want outrageous amounts.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - DP
I agree, something doesn't add up. Ex fleet stuff is usually 3-4yrs old tops, and has all appropriate paperwork. It's fairly common for ex-lease cars not to have a stamped service book (they often keep all the paperwork centrally rather than entrust it to the car's regular driver), but it will have a printout of every penny they've spent on the car in servicing, right down to bulbs and tyres. This information is valuable, and is passed on by scrupulous sellers. It will also be easily verified by the previous owner. I have an ex lease Volvo for example on which I know what date and mileage it had not only servicing, but headlight bulbs, tyres and wiper blades in its first three years.

You don't need this hassle. Cars are ten-a-penny, and you can find plenty which aren't hiding anything. Walk away.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - bananastand
the dealer sounds like he's a past master of patter. Ex-fleet this and don't worry about that. Horrible.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - pd
DP, I am looking through a fleet disposal auction catalogue for tomorrow from a major leasing company and there are several 03 plate cars in there. There are also several with no V5 and no history.

Many ex-fleet cars end up with 100k on the clock with no paperwork at all come disposal. Most dealers will mark the car down a bit and just sit on it for 2-3 weeks whilst they apply for a V5.

This car might be a perfectly genuine ex-fleet car or it might be a clocked disaster and a lie. Both are possible, depends on how cheap it is I guess whether it is worth considering.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - pd
To follow up on some later replies above in a typical fleet disposal auction (and most do end up at auction) most cars will be 3 to 4 years old but all other sorts turn up including numerous 57, 08 plates and the odd 02, 03 etc. Leases can get cancelled early, extended and 5 year leases are possible.

Also, the idea that they all have full docs is wrong. Goodness knows how but they show up without a V5, lots have no MOT (although they often have an MOT - just not the paper certificate) and a significant percentage have no service book and a print out showing absolutely nothing ever done at all.

These cars are not in the majority - maybe 5% or less of the cars - but they are usually there. Amazingly, they usually achieve prices not a lot less than cars with all the paperwork anyway which is perhaps why the lease company is not that bothered about offering them.
Buying an ex-fleet car with no v5/service history - barneybear
I think I would walk away. However a few years ago I bought a Citroen Xsara, 13 months old, no log book or history, but the price was cheap and they ofered £500 for a clapped out Rover that belonged to my friend - so did the deal. Two weeks later the paper work arrived - the car had been leased to a company who had gone bust and the bank/administrators took possession of the car and the dealer had bought it. Fully serviced at a main dealer near to the company that had folded - so I got a fully maintained vehicle at knock down price - but I took a risk. Car ran great for 3 more years clocking up 60,000 miles before p/e against my new Megan. However yours is older and something doesn't stack up... walk away