2000 1.5 Coolant Temperature light - on or off? - buntoid
.*********

Trouble is I have now noticed the coolant temperature warning light on the dash board does not light up when the ignition in turned on. I'm pretty sure it was coming on before but I can't be certain.

I have an older 1995 106 XND and the light does come on with the ignition and goes off when the engine starts.

Should this be the same for the newer car?

I have checked the leads going to the sensor on the water pump and there is 12v there. I also pulled the leads off the old cars sensor and the light still come on when the ignition is turned on.

I took the radio out of the old car and reached round the back of the instrument display and removed the bulb for the warning light, I then did the same to the new car only to find that the new instrument display does not have removable bulbs at the back!

Does anyone know if the light should come on when the ignition is turned on? - if it is - any suggestions how I can fix this problem.

Many thanks
2000 1.5 Coolant Temperature light - on or off? - 659FBE
On my partner's '98 1.5D the coolant light does come on with the "ignition" as a lamp check function. Mercifully, it has never come on at any other time. The bulbs are accessible if you remove the entire instrument cluster (a bit of a fiddle) and are 1.2W capless types.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Do you know if you have to take the instrument cluster apart to get to the bulbs? On my '95 1.5D the bulbs just screw into the back of the panel. On this newer version the back feels smooth apart from the speedo cable.
There is no need to dismantle the instruments once they are out of the dashboard. There is a large flexi printed circuit board on the back (prone to bad connections) and the bulbs are in plastic holders which just twist out. There is no speedometer cable on these cars - it's electronic.

Hi, its good to know there isn't a speedo cable on these models as the last one was a real pain to change.
Are you sure the bulbs twist out from the back? I have had my hand round the back through the stereo opening and cannot find any bulb holders. I did the same to the older 106 and easily found the bulb holders. I removed one so I could replace the faulty bulb but as I say when I reached round to take the bulb out of the newer 106, the holder wasn't there, it was just a smooth plastic back.
I only have first hand knowledge of a '98 model. As the 106 was a run-out model even by then, I'd be very surprised if anything changed. The holders are quite low in profile - most of the lamp projects inside, of course.

Take the cluster out and have a look - I wouldn't contemplate changing the bulbs via the radio aperture.

I have finally had the time to take the dashboard out to see if I can replace the bulb, to find there are no bulbs! All the instrument lights are non removable leds. The one in question doesn't appear to be blown. i.e there isn't any black marking anywhere.
Which brings me back to my initial question whether or not the warning light should be on or off when the ignition is turned on?
If the light is a non replaceable led type, is there any need for it to have a bulb check when the ignition is turned on?