Would you buy a new car? - paul2007
Hello just been reading how Vauxhall Vectra prices are down by 61% over 12 monthsd avd between 30 & 50% or most other mass produced cars.

Why buy new as you still get the remaining warranty!

I have noted that prices have bottomed out.

Last year, you could by the previous mode Ford Ka, brand new with tax for 4500 quid - now they are selling at that for a year old model.

A family member bought a Saab, 57 plate sport/auto, 9k on the clock, convertable for 11k - 21k saving.

Smaller automatic cars are retaining their price better as our daughter is looking for one as her first car, max spend 4 - 4:5k - about 2 years old & less than 15 on the clock - avy ideas?
Thanks

{typo in header corrected at OPs request}

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2009 at 10:07

Whoould Buy A new car? - Rattle
Maybe the title should be edited?

Used car prices are a funny thing, this time last year I would have said my dads car was worth £500, a year later and 12k more on the clock its worth around £800.

Cars are actually very expensive atm due lack of supply.
Who Would Buy A new car? - madux
Shazam!
Whoould Buy A new car? - paul2007
I agree.

Used car prices will start to go up over the 12 months & eventually as fewer new cars are sold, the price diff will be reduced between brand new & year ld & people wil start to buy new again.

will try to edit title - cheers
Whoould Buy A new car? - stunorthants26
I was talking to our local Daihatsu dealer today and he said to me that he would have given me £2000 in px on my Charade which is 6 years old this year and nearing 40k - they were only £6k brand new, so prices for small cars like this are incredibly firm really.
He said small cars are still very saleable and difficult to get hold of so prices are rock solid.
Whoould Buy A new car? - Rattle
Which is why I am avoiding superminis for my next car, I can afford the insurance on Focuses and Astras so it makes a lot more sense for me. I think a lot of people need to think is a small car really worth it?

You can get a 1.6 2001 Mondeo for peanuts now, its too big for me but for many people it will work out cheaper than paying £2k for the same age Fiesta.
Whoould Buy A new car? - gordonbennet
There will always be some who want to buy new, for a variety of reasons.

I would buy a petrol engined car used if its a reasonably uncomplicated version, not a modern multi turbo thing for example, thinking about that more i don't think i'd want one of those anyway, give me a larger N/A petrol or a simple turbo'd car of robust nature.
I would not buy a used modern diesel however unless i new the previous owner, previous neglect, abuse, misfuel worries, dpf's,dmf's etc, hmm would i want a new diesel car at all come to think of it, many threads here reporting various problems with modern diesels, not all covered readily or competently by the dealers.

I would buy new for peace of mind then, i'm sure thats the reason most people do, there can't be many people left who buy new for some supposed status surely.

Whoould Buy A new car? - paul2007
Hello, I agree tha buying new s pecial, well for me & the family.
Remember buying our first brand new car - aged 30, bought a black Ford Mondeo hatc, 2:5 Ghia, had side air bags fitted, wider wheels, sports grill - it had standard sunroof/air cn. remote radio/cd - all electric widows, roof, boot, etc -after discount, paid 19k, rrp inc extras was about 24k if i remeber correctly - got 1k back from Barclay card :)

However, buying new, loose too much - got a merc, c 200k, auto, black - bought 9 months old last year 4k on the clock - paid 18k - saved 6 k - they serviced it & next servic is free
:)

Re samll cars, they are going back up in price
Would you Buy a new car? - Brianthebubble
I generally would shy away from buying, but would worry even more about buying a new car now - just thinking of all those cars sitting in car parks; and for how long?
Would you Buy a new car? - alex823
Would probably not buy new again - lose to much in depreciation. Of course it depends what deals are on new cars. I remember when looking for my car the average 1 year old car on the forecourt was almost the same price as you could buy new from an internet broker. Also have to factor in many manufacturers are doing 0% at the moment and its not always cheaper to buy nearly new.
Would you Buy a new car? - daveyjp
Our neighbour took delivery of her new Pug this afternoon.
Would you Buy a new car? - L'escargot
When you buy a brand new car you can get exactly what you want, not just get what the previous owner wanted or was satisfied with. Getting exactly what I want makes all the difference to my degree of satisfaction with a car.

Edited by L'escargot on 23/03/2009 at 09:49

Would you Buy a new car? - Mapmaker
>>Getting exactly what I want makes all the difference to my degree of satisfaction with a car.

How much, in cash terms, is that worth to you, escargot? Presumably you can put a price on it?
Would you buy a new car? - cuthbert
As someone else has said if you look at 6 month old cars on the dealers forecourt you can buy the same car from a car broker for the same price .
I think each purchase has to be judged on the deal you are getting at the time
Would you buy a new car? - turbo11
I just have just placed my order for a new Mazda5 sport.
Including getting slightly above glass's guide price for my part exchange, I am also getting £2500 off list price. The dealer said they were doing ok on sales and when I chose the number plate off the list, I could see how many 09 cars they had sold. Also along with other makes of car, the prices are increasing next month due to the value of the £. I am very pleased with the deal I got. Just got to wait ten days to get my new toy.
Would you buy a new car? - tintin01
I think it depends on the deal too. A 58 reg Hyundai i10 (2008) 1.1 Classic with 4k miles is £6,499 at a respected car supermarket near us. A brand new one, albeit with the better 1.2 engine, is £7k rrp on the road.

It's a great thrill getting a new car and if you can afford it and don't mind the depreciation, why not?. OH bought a new i10 based on the value they offer. Even after 50% depreciation you have only lost £3.5k - 50% depreciation on a £15k car would be a bit harder to stomache.

I must admit I have found myself looking longingly at newish cars with their manufacturers warranties this week. My 52 reg Primera needs a window regulator and new door glass. Cost at the Nissan dealer? £50 to diagnose the fault, and a whopping £475 to repair. The car's only worth £1500, I said, so don't bother. It is now held up with some fetching black duct tape until I decide what to do.

Would you buy a new car? - legacylad
My neighbours have just taken delivery of a new C4 Picasso.They change their car every two years, and previously had an old style Picasso.
I assume they suffer heavy depreciation, but they are quite elderly, can afford it, dont take expensive holidays, so good luck to them.
Would you buy a new car? - NARU
When I bought my 4,000 mile, 11-month old car from the dealer, he said the previous owner was a couple who change their car with them every year. Apparently they'd had every model in Toyota's range!

He also said that they (the dealer) make sure that the couple get a good deal every time without needing to haggle, because they don't want to lose them to someone else!
Would you buy a new car? - L'escargot
Why buy new as you still get the remaining warranty!

Check that the warranty hasn't been invalidated for any reason, before you part with your money.
Would you buy a new car? - DP
I found the whole new car thing distinctly underwhelming. I took delivery of my first new company car, a Peugeot 306 XSi, nearly ten years ago. It was a car I wanted, and a car I loved. It was the dogs danglies. Then after a month it picked up a couple of stonechips, and that was it. It wasn't new any more.

I remember thinking if I'd spent my own money I'd have been intensely disappointed at the way the new car thing lasts only a week or two, and then you have just another used car sitting there. I also noticed that the dealership were selling mint 9 month old ones for £5k off new list.

Being able to choose colour and spec was cool, but the whole "new car" thing is something I don't value anywhere near highly enough to do out of my own pocket. If a company's picking up the tab, that's different.

Cheers
DP

Would you buy a new car? - Bill Payer
I know someone who is wealthy and is also something of a car nut. He never buys new cars and his reasoning is that if he buys used then he gets to test the actual car he will be buying, rather than a sample of it. So he can avoid those unfixable niggling "they all do that, sir" faults like drifting to the left or jerky autoboxes.

Of course, he could just be tight. :)