How do I legally claim my bike back? - tdc
In 1979 I set a deal in motion which didn`t complete,therefore leaving me to still be the legal owner of a motorcycle.It was never paid for by the crook who moved address and sold it on.I retained the log book,and still have it updated whenever I move,or whenever Swansea change logbook format.However nowadays it appears with the current holders` name(still to my current address)who no doubt bought it in good faith.Funny thing is,that after all my moving,and the current holder of the bikes` moving,there is now just 10 miles between our addresses.Does anyone have any legal experience as to how I could get my bike back please?
How do I legally claim my bike back? - madux
I must admit, you baffle me.
How do I legally claim my bike back? - martint123
Did you report it stolen at the time?
Did you claim on insurance at the time?

If you know the current address of the bike then get yourself down to the local cop shop and tell them. No matter if someone has innocently bought it, it is not theirs.

OK then - of the log book comes back to you, how do you know the address of the current keeper?

Edited by martint123 on 18/03/2009 at 20:45

Thanks for your reply Martin.Didn`t report bike stolen at the time because I was too busy moving house&jobs at the time.Believe other party was also on the move a bit(heard he did a stint inside)Bike wasn`t insured,although I was running it legally on the road a few months previously.Believe it was sold on without being registered in "crooks" name.Don`t think the law would be that interested after all this time,and I prefer to resolve things peacefully without "going in all guns blazing";get a plan all worked out before taking action,as this way usually works better for me.Having checked the very latest V5c(I photocopied the previous V5 before sending it off)it has the current holder of the bike down as the previous owner now,even though he was down as the current owner since 1981 on the previous V5,but with my previous address!It now has my name&address as the current owner too!Just wondered if any legal minds can see a way of resolving this,(ie,me getting my bike back!)as although I have done well with,and enjoyed dealing with legal stuff in the past,it`s not my field.
How do I legally claim my bike back? - doctorchris
I suspect that your failure to report the motorcycle as stolen at the time would seriously compromise your ability to now claim ownership.
Having a V5 does not prove you ownership of the bike.
Had to speak with DVLA to check out a bike I was bidding on,so I mentioned the other bike,and they confirmed it was registered in my name.That means it`ll be my door plod comes knocking on if any violation occurs under that reg no!They also told me it was last taxed in 1978...I know,it was me who taxed it.
DVLA seem a lot more helpful nowadays,if you are nice to them! I found out from them that the bike with no V5 I was bidding for on ebay had it`s tax refunded in 1980;V5 last updated in `94...and after digging the fax machine out yesterday,and faxing them nicely(so to speak) ,as to whether the number was transferable,a lovely welsh lady phoned me today to say it was.Supposed to take 10-20 days in writing!After all that I played it safe and backed out of the deal after noting irregularities when I went to view.
Before I can help you with your negative emotional response,you first have to be willing to get help.