Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - Ubi
An email has been doing the rounds in our office today. In order to ensure that the sender does not risk perverting the course of justice I have modified it and suggested that it stops.

If you get a fixed penalty notice through the post which also carries penalty points the computer system first sends you a demand for the cash.

When you have paid, it then sends a demand to return your licence for endorsement.

It apparently cannot handle the licence endorsement and the payment at the same time, and it cannot process the points part of the system until the financial section is complete.

If you overpay the fixed penalty, it must issue and send a refund cheque for the overpayment.

So if you overpay the fixed penalty by sending a cheque for the full amount plus £1 the system will then automatically generate a refund cheque for the over-payment and send it to you.

If you fail to present this payment the system will unfortunately remain 'open' and will be unable to generate the 'send your licence for endorsement' demand part of the program.

It does, however, record your payment of the fixed penalty, so it does not trigger the 'follow-up unpaid fine' stage.

As there is no human intervention, the points award process will not complete.

So always remember to send the correct value payment for a FPN.
Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - FotheringtonThomas
Fantastic. Not unbelievable.
Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - plamet78
Maybe the system has changed in the last few years, but when I got a speeding fine from Humberside police about 4 years ago, I had to send my licence off for the points endorsement along with the payment. I don't recall them asking for just the payment first.
Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - PST
Am I the first one to post the "snopes" response!!

www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

It looks like it's been doing the rounds for 10 years +
The first - by two whole minutes! It's getting popular. I must remember to look up that English/Russian thing, too...

I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of catch-22 situation arose any time with Gov't computer systems. Struggling at the moment with HMRC, a complete nightmare of disjointed systems/departments. Four *years* or trying to get a result, and "*I* owe *them*"!
Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - Alanovich
I must remember to look
up that English/Russian thing too...

Wassat then? Just out of curiosity as I have an interest in all things Russian.
englishrussia.com - which someone else mentioned. Some fakery, but odd/interesting.
I personally have no idea how the system works (having no licence endorsements!)

I simply passed it on in good faith in order that subscribers may ensure that they complete the course of justice.
Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - jbif
Ubi:
You've been had.

www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

and

www.hootcarinsurance.co.uk/html/Motoring%20myths.h...m
5. Overpay your fines to avoid points
This entirely made-up old chestnut .....

A great relief to learn that people have been keeping themselves on the right side of the law.

I had been concerned.
Ensuring you receive your Fixed Penalty Points - Dwight Van Driver
When I first heard of this years ago I went to the Mags Clerks Office and told it was baloney............

dvd